free hit
counters
new cam belt flapping - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi

I have just had new cam belt fitted at my local garage. when idling the belt appears fine with no up and down movement. but when the revs are increased the top  section of belt (which is visable with the cover on) moves up and down approx 1cm total at a certain rev range. when the revs are increased further is stabilizes again. Is this normal or is the belt too slack? thanks for any advice. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they replace the tensioner bearing while they had the belt off as they do wear, don't know if a worn bearing would cause the flapping but it's worth changing if it's worn.

A quick check of belt tension is to twist the section half way between the inlet camshaft pulley & the auxiliary pulley, you should be able to turn it through 45 degrees or so & no more without  due force. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

If it settles against once thought the rev range, I'd suggest it is just a harmonic that causes it to vibrate.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Thanks for the replies. I think I was just being over cautious. I saw the guy that fitted it he checked the tension and said no problems and that I could expect a little flap especially when the engine was cold and not under load. So happy now. Better to be safe than sorry.