free hit
counters
Suicide doors for Evora - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Suicide doors for Evora

If the handling really would be affected by the weight of the hinges, surely the car should come with a warning that the passenger seat is only suitable for short, flat chested people with small heads!

Haven't you got the label in the glove box??? I heard they were on back order but surprised they let cars out of the factory without them

;-)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

haha Al...the painkillers have worn off, to be honest I'm obsessed with that Mclaren 650 S and thought i wonder if they style doors would look cool on the Evora, i personally don't think it would look to stupid as most supercars are weird in there own individual ways, i just think on here there are to many sheep frightened to try something different however had the evora been made with the doors I'm pretty sure all the critics would be saying they were a fan of the doors, 

im not having it done i just wondered if there was any places where you could have it done as it did cross my mind but in the meantime i am just looking forward to getting my valved 2bular exhaust thats being made this week on the car next week hopefully :) 

If the handling really would be affected by the weight of the hinges, surely the car should come with a warning that the passenger seat is only suitable for short, flat chested people with small heads!

I understand what you are saying. However, I can attest to the fact that my S4 handles a bit better without the spare in the front. (did it at a track day) Lotus allowed for carrying two people in the front. They didn't allow for the extra weight of the door hinge assemblies. People are saying don't do it for a number of reasons. Some don't want to look like all the other supercars. Some don't want you to add extra weight. Some just don't like 'em. Everyone's opinion is legit.

If Jordan wants to do it, do it. Because that is fine to.

But if Joe Ordinary goes past you in his standard Evora, remember, we 'told you so'. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I'd guess it would knock about £10k off the value too, at least.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Sorry - had to dissapear from this thread as I was on a ferry at the time!

Jordan - Take it from a man who's modified cars, lost a ton, and learnt his lesson...

Dont modify cars in 'new and exciting ways' because you'll be the only one who'll actually be impressed/drawn to it. Somewhat offensive claiming we're all sheep, when infact we're trying to save you a shedload on a certain mistake. 

It's not a vectra that has no handling prowess, or a ford focus that are cheap as chips in comparison. We're talking about the flagship car of Lotus (ok, maybe the 400 now... :D) and doing modifications that go against the whole purpose of buying a Lotus. 

It's definitely within your power to do it. Its your car, so honestly...go to town on it! But the replies on here should give you an indication of how difficult resale will be. That difficulty will only be overcome with dropping the price - and even then, you'll be hard-pressed. You'd have trouble selling it on this forum for sure. Those who look for Evoras/Exige/Elise are generaly in it for the handling and performance rather than eyecandy. An Evora with 'bastard-gene' suicide/lambo doors wont have much luck being resold on these forums. 

The comments are negative, but they're there to help, not to insult. It's a bad move for both the car and your wallet. 

Do it, especially if it can be put back to original. I think the Evora is exotic enough to carry it off.

At least you're not spoiling its styling and the dynamic changes are an unknown quantity. There's people out there putting barge boards, rear diffusers etc on their road going Evora's which definitely is not doing it any favours on all counts.

• Gold FFM

Hi Jaws - having just put the Lotus GTN barge boards on my Evora I'm interested to hear how it "is not going to do the car any favours on all counts" - what are the drawbacks that I've just created?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Each to their own and I hope not to offend but aesthetically the Evora has such a pretty pinched in/coke bottle waist line. To add a straight plank of wood/metal doesn't do it any favours. I'm sure that I'm in the minority but I think this looks better...

post-10092-0-90964600-1435472245.jpg

Than this...

post-10092-0-90642700-1435472286.jpg

Dynamically, the difference they would make to a road car would be negligible just like if someone changed the door hinges on an Evora. Until we know what's involved it's an unknown quantity and I'm interested when someone comes along with a different idea like Jordan I can judge rather than prejudge whether it is a good one or not. I'm glad people are putting on the barge boards and aftermarket rear diffusers as I loving modding too. However, they're just not for me on a road car.

Edited by JAWS

• Gold FFM

Both stunning photos above.

It's a bit like comparing michaelangelo and Picasso ( not the crap Citroen ) artworks - both amazing - but perfection is in the eyes of the viewer.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Nice car Jaws. I do think the Evora looks stunning in red. Not that easily offended really and of course aesthetically it is very subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. I was more interested in whether the car would now perform adversely.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• 6 months later...

I can see they'd be useful for those car park problems, when you come back to the car and can't get into it because someone as parked too close to your Evora. I guess maybe that's why McLaren and Lamborghini use them. I guess they must use lighter weight hinges than the aftermarket jobs as well.

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 21:11, Bibs said:

You'll find them in the sixth layer of hell, next to the neon ground kits and 22" spinners mate. :)

:rofl:

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

2 hours ago, Breeze said:

I guess maybe that's why McLaren and Lamborghini use them.

There's nothing practical about the cars those companies produce. It's for show, no more, no less. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Putting aside questions of personal taste, my problem with this idea is simply one of proper engineering. The Evora door openings are simply not designed to open any other way than how they do as standard. To get around this, all of the aftermarket kits require the doors to swing outwards a bit first, and then there's a change of direction for them to swing upwards. This then requires learning a bit of a technique to get them to glide smoothly, and from what I've seen, they tend to end up a bit wobbly as a result. If you're trying to make the car look 'cool', wobbly doors doesn't really do it for me.

Adding to Brendan's comment another thing to consider is side impact protection. The Mr Sensible aerospace engineer in me says don't go messing with the doors - Lotus designed the car on CAD and used Computer Aided Engineering to simulate crash impacts then validated the data through crash tests. Unless the structural integrity can be assured by whoever would manufacture the mod kit if it was me I'd leave it "ALI" (As Lotus Intended).

PS: Hello Brendan from down the road here in Ashby!

Taken from the Evora - Sublime Supercar book by Johnny Tipler (a very good book - recommended). 

WP_20160112_002.jpg

Edited by EuropaSman

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

9 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

PS: Hello Brendan from down the road here in Ashby!

Hello Mark! I hadn't noticed your location before. I work in Ashby, I'm surprised I haven't seen your car around. I have occasionally seen a white one around here, but not for a while.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get out as much last year as I'd have liked last year; it's laid up for the winter at the moment.  Looking forward to driving it a bit more this year. Yes, I've not seen the white one for quite a while either.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

If you want them then do it chap. It's your car! Just make sure you keep the original parts so you can return it to stock come resale. Also, expect it to be difficult to sell the parts like the doors you are after. Basically, look at it as a sunk cost.

On 11 January 2016 at 10:26, Breeze said:

I can see they'd be useful for those car park problems, when you come back to the car and can't get into it because someone as parked too close to your Evora. 

Not necessarily the case. You would need to work out how far you need to open the doors before swinging them upwards. On 2 conversions I've seen (one on a VX220), there was nothing to be gained.

Afraid the aftermarket conversions fall into the "all show & no go" category,

• 1 year later...

I think proper scissor would be great on the Evora, the biggest arse by far for me is getting in and out of the car in public parking areas. I try to use my car as much as possible and I'm constantly having to gingerly squeeze out of the door. Its basically impossible if i have the little one in the back.. I seriously doubt it will effect the handling in any way unless it's made of lead/gold/platinum.

• 1 year later...

I realize this is an old topic, but I would love to have these doors on my car. I'm 6'1" and falling out of the Evora is very difficult, and especially if anyone parks even remotely close to you. Verticaldoors (http://verticaldoors.com/) makes some great factory fitting scissor door kits for everything BUT the Evora :(

Is there anything out there? Vertical doors offered to make some kits but need a vehicle, they are in California. 

my car 2012 Lotus Evora IPS Yellow

Edited by chrislynn5

• Gold FFM

I’m 6’1” too and a would make a good prop (linebacker) Wind the window down when getting out. Makes an unbelievable difference. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.