free hit
counters
I've been away, and now back.. - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've been away, and now back..

I would imagine for most of you on here I'm a newbie. I was very much into the UK Lotus scene from the Yahoo newsgroups, Pistons heads, LEW and of course my own site and forum.

I took a back seat when my first child was born and then put 'Loti' into storage just after the second as I simply did not have the time. Actually have three kids now so there is something to be said for spending more time at home and less hooning with the circle (bibs ;)  not getting home until 3am only to go to work at 8 .... couple of time a week).

Last weekend I again assumed the 'Lotus' position and after a little struggle with the grey matter soon had Loti breathing or more roaring with a cough and a splutter again.

As from today she is not full road insured which just leave the MOT and taxing. I'll be doing a pre MOT sometime over the next few days and with luck should be on the road in the very near future.

I don't know how many from the old groups are left, would be good to catch up and of course forge new friendships with other members. :)

I had re posted some pics to my G+ profile. Feel free to take a look, May bring back some memories.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMIKkD-1SEbQWLP9ewpC2M9m2XA5uRerF0X_Cn6

Stephen  Wright

aka Unity1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

11.5 years ago!!   

MOT passed, taxed and now fully road legal.

Posted Images

:welcome:

Welcome back Steve, glad to hear you're getting some time to get back into the Lotus mate :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'm looking forward to it. I do think I'll have some issues ahead. Only to be expected from being stored for sometime. On saying that I was very surprised on how little work I had to do. Apart from a broken wire on the Distributor constant pickup, A hardened and cracked fuel pipe and a new battery, fluids she fired and idled in 4 - 5 attempts. Blipping splutters but thinks thats down to the old fuel.

I'm expecting new tyres and maybe some bush, gaiters after a few miles.

11.5 years ago!! 

post-1-0-03744000-1435234222.jpg

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs: That almost seems like a lifetime ago. Almost worthy of an anniversary pic. Do you recall we rigged up my laptop and web cam before the days of action cams in your car. The lowres uncompressed divx video failed before the real hooning fun started. I remember Fish giggling down the talkie when I started drifting :D

And who's this young chap :)

040201-cchoon-10-Large.jpg

Filip: Thanks

I'm sure I'll find out.. Hopefully Banter, insults and perhaps the odd car talk LOL.

My technical and practical Lotus knowledge is a little rusty. Actually found myself looking up one of my own guides on balancing and tuning carbs last night :) full circle.

Hi Steve,

I am still here! I still have my Titanium V8 Esprit for over 10 years now and I also have an Evora.

I don't drive the Esprit much but was thinking of taking it out this afternoon!

David Walters

Hi Steve,

There are quite a few of the old crew around. Welcome back, look forward to your posts! (As long as they aren't in technical, you know how I am with that stuff :) )

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Buddsy : You could right. Did you read that Lexus have now actually invented the hoverboard with nitrogen cooled super conductors. Look to me more like a slight twist on an old maglift design but that don't stop me from still wanting one.

David: Hi Mate, iirc you had a yellow one before that. Oddly I thought of you last week after I wondered if PNM still had any refurbed Lucas pickups. Mine had the broken wire issue which I re soldered up over the weekend. If it didn't work I would have been on the phone to them. I did consider changing to the Evora, I do like the car decided I couldn't after about 0.63 seconds LOL.

Kimbers: Another blast from the past :)

Hi Steve,

good to hear from you.  Sounds like life is going well and good to hear you've still got your car.

Your website still seems to be up a running: http://www.unity1.co.uk/Lotus/index.html

Hi Steve,

good to hear from you.  Sounds like life is going well and good to hear you've still got your car.

I've been doing alright.

Started a major house renovation project last month again after several years of planning and approval. Part of which is a new garage/workshop. Even that tbh has ended up having to be 6' shorter than the approved plans due to a regulation oversight with the architect. I could have gone back to add additional structural calculations and re submit building regs (at cost and at least 4wks delay) or go for 6' shorter garage (now 14x24) with an additional 'temporary' storage building which can actually be bigger (heavy duty shed) (14x8). That was after the ground work had already been started !!.The garage is not far off done which is needed as the current garage is in the way of the corner of the extension. This is to no small part why Loti is now being made road ready. I could have just got her going and drove our of the old garage and into the new next week. However that would be a crime.

No one really leaves here.  We just hang around like mellowing aromas :-)

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Welcome back Steve. :welcome:

Not sure who is the newbie out of you and I? :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Tough call :)

Loti is booked in for MOT this afternoon. Hopefully she will pass although I'm expecting a few advisories.

All breaking is a little crunchy which is to be expected. I've taken wire brush and sandpaper to the rotors which has helped, a good run and use should sort it.

Rear break hoses look at little cac

Near side handbrake fails to release without some gentle persuasion.

Rear pads low.

surface marks and corrosion on rear rotors. I'll would normally replace then and the pads anyway however..

All of the above tell me its a good excuse to fit the upgrade rear break kit from PNM to match the fronts which I'm now pleased to find out have actually been released.

Still a lot of splutters on blipping although I'm hoping this is down to the 1/4 tank of 7 year fuel. After refitting the timing pickup and dizzy last week the Timing is actually at 9deg off TDC instead of 10 but that should not be much of a problem, Spark looks good although due to fuel I've not bothered colour or balance yet. If she passes I can get her taxed, take a steady drive and fill up with some good stuff.

I did contemplate draining the tanks but then what do I do with several gallons of petrol (without blowing something up).

Blow something up!   :blob fire:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

I can tell you a funny storey.

Last winter I decided to burn off the old garden leaves, twigs, deadheads etc, So using a galvanised bin with some ventilation holes drilled around the bottom I put them in. They were a little damp so after trying to light it I decided to drop a cap or (perhaps two) of petrol on. Left it 30 seconds or so, lit a small rag and dropped it on at arms length and stepped back. Mid step, I then got a lovely deep thud and a fair amount of the contents were ejected in to air, thankfully not on fire.

I found it stunningly amusing although decided not to try it again....

:thumbup: