free hit
counters
Running in power - Exige V6? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ChrisBuer

Running in power - Exige V6?

I'm curious to know the answer to this (if any one knows)?

I'm currently running my car in and was told that after I'd completed the first 500 miles, that I should give the car a quick blast of full throttle right the way through the rev range every 50 miles or so. Therefore as soon as I'd hit my 500 miles, I gave it a blast in third gear right the way through to the shift lights, then backed it off. 

First thing that I noticed is that the car didn't feel brutally fast. I mean it was in touring mode and pulled well but it didn't feel quick as I'd remembered from my test drives. 

Therefore, does anyone know if the engine is dialed down on the running in period or not? 

It might just be that I'm used to the "thump" of power that comes from a turbo charged car (my previous car was a BMW 1M) and that the linear pull from the supercharger masks it's speed more. I mean don't get me wrong, I looked down and it was pulling at a decent speed, but didn't feel like it, if that makes sense?

Anyway just curious to know if anyone knew whether things were throttled back on the car until after the first service? I know that some of my previous cars did have their performance limited so that you didn't damage the engine and gearbox when running it in. Once run in, they put better quality oil in and plugged in the ECU to take the car out of it's "running in mode". I wasn't sure if Lotus did the same?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Unlikely I'd have thought.

It seems you were more impressed with the performance when you were being gentle it!

I can confirm that the engine pulls noticeably harder both subjectively and also vs other cars after a few miles on the clock. I'd say a good 3000 miles to loosen it up properly. After that it just gets sharper and sharper with miles. Mine definitely runs better after some hard use too, which is only possible on a track. I think they run them quite rich. Part of this can also be the learning ecu.

But the power delivery is very linear, you don't get a spike of torque like a turbo just a relentless surge to the cut out. There are many benefits to this, especially in slippery conditions but it probably won't impress someone used to a modded turbo car. That said I don't have difficulty keeping up with my brother's 542bhp Nissan GTR up to 100mph or so at least. They are deceptively fast.

I felt the same, although I don't think there is any issues using sport when running in. I know that following my running in it instantly felt remarkably faster, but this could have been placebo or more likely that I was now driving the car naturally rather than constantly worrying about staying withing running in limits.

Have you tried the car in sport mode? Tour has a very noticeable impact on throttle response and cuts in traction control a little more than you realise.

The oil they use for running in is different to the replacement oil at run in service.

Edit: To clarify, I felt the same as in the car was epic even with the 4k and 1/2 throttle restriction, however the few throttle blips during the running in did not blow me away as much as I expected.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

The Exige should have it's full power from the beginning. You only shouldn't drive it (constantly) above 4000 rpm the first 1500 km.

But the maximum horsepower is at 4500 rpm. And it runs a bit better with getting the right oil at the first inspection.

And: use the Sport (or Race) mode, gives you a noticeable better throttle response (and sound). I never drive in Tour mode, except when it's raining ;)

Thanks all!

Picking up on a few points above:

Pits – Yes I think it’s the linear nature of the power delivery that makes it feel “deceptively fast” as you say. Don’t get me wrong, I am impressed with the performance – a quick glance down at the speedo confirms this – but it didn’t feel like I was holding onto the wheel for dear life (like I did in my modded 1M). That’s not a bad thing mind you!! It’s a lot more composed and gets about its business very effectively. I think the fact that it feels so effortless below 4000rpm, you expect that feeling to multiply when using the rest of the rev range.

Tom - I have tried it in sport, but not during a quick full throttle blast. That said, when I test drove one of the B&C demonstrators, I really did notice how much shaper and instant the car felt in sport and race modes. Also, like you mentioned, during running in I do keep a constant eye that I’m not exceeding 4000rpm.

Blue – Actually my dealer (B&C) recommended that I give the car a short burst of full throttle every 50 miles or so once I’d completed the first 500 miles. Apparently the running in period is more to protect the gearbox, so I’d imagine these short bursts are recommended to make sure that everything is OK and to stretch the engine out every once in a while. Who knows, but I was told to do it :)

Edited by ChrisBuer

You are used to the power, it only gets slower from here on :-(

The running in period on these 'Yota engines is more for the driver than the car in truth. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

As said you've got used to it. I was similar to you that I was expecting more once it was run in but it has a lot of torque and doesn't build like a turbo car which you think is going to come but doesn't. I seldom wring its neck as there is no need since you drop readily into power on the up change. Tell you what though, come and drive the Delorean for a week or two then get back in the Exige and it takes a few moment to use anywhere near the cars potential again.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I'll get around to it at some point.

I cant find anywhere local to me to open the car up without risking killing myself and others. i just don't see the point of opening the taps on say a duel carriageway as the perception feels slow due to the nature of the road, and your going to get banned if they have a gun on you. If i try and push on, up a decent country lane, a full run in third up to the shift lights is bloody scary. And a big chunk quicker than my previous Cup 260.

Every time i go out to give it a blast i spend just as much time on the brakes. You really need to get it somewhere like Wales where you get a good mix of fast and challenging roads, it is only then you realise it can move. 

You'll be seeing about 105mph at the top of 3rd...

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

The road isn't the place for it really, get yourself out on a track day.

Trevor.

• Like 2

I'll get around to it at some point.

I can only agree with Top cat. I've yet to see a shift light as it's travelling too bloody quickly long before then! What I love most about the power is the fact that it always has ample in reserve - it's the first Lotus I've owned that I don't think needs more power (I even thought my 2-11 could do with another 50hp!). Also, the effortless overtaking ability is nice :)

You'll be seeing about 105mph at the top of 3rd...

Yes and by coincidence it was about the same in the 1M. But my 1M has 656nm of torque and you really felt it pull hard when putting your foot down. That said I don't think there is much difference in the acceleration

The only differences are the delivery. The linear pull of the Exige is deceptively quick whereas the 1M felt more like a sledgehammer and could be quite unnerving at times. As in you felt as if you were holding on for dear life. The Exige is much more composed in its delivery and as a result has much more useable power.

I'm up to 600 miles now so not far to go. I need to do some more driving and get that service out of the way! :D

It's only Tour that has the lazy throttle map, according to the owner's manual.

I don't notice a difference going Sport > Race > Off

How the hell any of you can talk about getting used to a car with this performance is beyond me!

:sofa:

The road isn't the place for it really, get yourself out on a track day.

Trevor.

Same is true of a lot of cars nowadays.

We are at the point now where shopping wagons are hitting 0-60 in the 4s and frankly it's pointless as they'll never see a track.

The numbers help shift cars of course, in a top trumps sort of way, but it doesn't necessarily make the cars more enjoyable.

Now I might get shot on here for saying it, but in some ways my old 125bhp Elise was more fun as a road car.  It rewarded you for smoothness, where the Exige you always just have the option of mashing the throttle.  Both are limited as much by forward visibility on twisties as anything. (And average speed cameras everywhere else :( )

Edit: I'm not saying I'd swap back ;) The Exige has lots of other attributes outside power that make it a much better car, though I can't deny the power is great too ;)

Elise has always been a better road car and it's easier to relax and enjoy the view with the roof off. The Exige always felt like more of a racer inside. Very hard to retrain the urge to rev it out. The torque of the V6 allows for more relaxed driving but the temptation remains.

Now imagine the utter frustration of a much quicker road optimised car like a 911 turbo or Bugatti Veyron! I'm happy to have an Exige at the expense of some of the on-road joys of the Elise because the track is where you can enjoy a fast car the most. In a the last few years I have driven the route napoleon, and right across the Alps. Good times for sure but not even close to the Nurburgring and Spa.

• Like 2

I'm with you on this Jonny, we've driven the Alps a few times (and Route Napoloen stands out) I thought nothing could top this sort of driving. Then we started tracking and now road driving just does not do it for us, too many compromises. We're doing a trip this summer and seriously considering taking the Golf rather than the V6 just so we can push the car without travelling at warp speed. Maybe we'll take the opportunity to enjoy the views a bit more!

It's the ability to overtake slower traffic safely with ease that makes a fast car enjoyable on the road, whilst staying (more or less) within the speed limit. That's why a 350hp Exige is a more enjoyable road car than a 120hp Elise (I've owned both).

If I was heading for the Alps, I can't think of a car more suited than an Exige Roadster :B)

• Like 1

It's the ability to overtake slower traffic safely with ease that makes a fast car enjoyable on the road, whilst staying (more or less) within the speed limit. That's why a 350hp Exige is a more enjoyable road car than a 120hp Elise (I've owned both).

If I was heading for the Alps, I can't think of a car more suited than an Exige Roadster :B)

Boxster S PDK. Unfortunately just sold ours!

Agreed, Exige Roadster is the best road car of the three.