free hit
counters
1978 Esprit S1 Purchased - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

1978 Esprit S1 Purchased

Hi

All I'm fairly new to this forum and have just purchased a non running Lotus Esprit S1 with original 68000 miles on the clock. It's been off the road since 1991.

I will no doubt be on here a lot looking to pester people for advice and part. I wish I had bought one years ago as I could have bought a running mint condition one for what I paid for this.

A couple of things I will need are and original S1 steering wheel and new fuel tanks.

The car will be getting delivered in about a month and a halfs time so will post some photos when it arrives :)

Also if anyone can point me in the direction to get some pod mirrors?

Ross

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Welcome, you might want to sign up as a full forum member for the discounts and advice. It will pay you back many times over.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Congratulations Jared!

I bought my S1 last fall and intend to have it back on the road this summer.

Post some photos when you can. What color is the car?

Jim

Edited by jtmco

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

Hi Ross,

Welcome to the privilege of S1 ownership!

SJ Sportscars sell replacement aluminium fabricated fuel tanks, but don't condemn yours until you've taken them our and inspected them internally and pressure tested for leaks.  Mine had surprisingly little corrosion on them and I cleaned and re-sealed them with POR-15 fuel tank sealer.  Having said this, if your car has been off the road since 1991, they're probably completely shot.

Steve Fulcher has remanufactured the original S1 'pod' mirrors, give him a call : http://www.coachtrimmer.co.uk

Do you know the chassis number ?

Jon.

Great news already, wow steering wheel already at £171 just wish it had the pad.

Has anyone seen or used this company

http://sunnyvale-ca.americanlisted.com/94086/car-parts/lotus-esprit-s1s2-steering-wheel-lotus-esprit-parts_24442687.html

I will give Steve a call about the mirror and possible retrim.

The car is currently red with the green interiour.

My plan at present will be to get the car up and up and running again, have a little fun in it before a full restoration and colour change.

Although some might curse me I have thought about painting it white and doing the tartan trim or the other option I have thought of is silver or grey with an oxblood leather interior with a grey dash.

I wish it had been an original white car but hey ho, I didn't know when another would turn up.

Ross

Has anyone seen or used this company

http://sunnyvale-ca.americanlisted.com/94086/car-parts/lotus-esprit-s1s2-steering-wheel-lotus-esprit-parts_24442687.html

The car is currently red with the green interiour.

Don't touch lotusespritparts.com - there are plenty of very bad reviews on one of the other forums about them, along the lines of 'take your money and never deliver'.

Are you sure the interior is green ? The brown marcasite interiors faded quickly and badly and ended up looking a brown/green colour.  Andy Graham, the archivist at Lotus Cars can give you a certificate of provenance and tell you the original interior and exterior colour combination as built.  General advice would be to retain the original colour, but white/green tartan is an excellent alternative !

Welcome to TLF Ross. :welcome:

Sorry I missed your first posts and to say hi. As others have suggested, for what you are taking on, a full forum membership would be well worth it. Looking forward to seeing some photos when you get your car.

Duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

I agree re lotus esprit parts .com.  They never delivered a steering wheel pad for my car but kept the money so avoid them like the plague.

Have you got any pictures?

Some of the parts like the number plate bulb holders are available on ebay cheaper than S and J. S and J are the only suppliers for many parts, like bespoke bolts etc. If you have a lathe you could make them yourself, they are expensive. Read all the blogs before you spend fortunes and end up with a cabinet of unusable parts, like me!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keep it as it is! its a good interior, only remove the aftermarket stuff and make it just complete orginal,

then you have a very very nice car,

otherwise on the end of it, everybody has a white S1 with tartan... :-p