free hit
counters
Air Conditioning - Essential? - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Air Conditioning - Essential?

Hi guys, other than my post in the Introductions forum, this is my first post. 

I'm starting to think about the spec I want and am wondering about air con and if it's worth it. 

One of my other cars has air con that gets used so rarely I know I could do without it. And the other one doesn't have air con at all and it's only on the very hottest of days (as we all know these are very rare in the UK) that I wish it had it. 

So, how essential is it in the Exige? Does the cabin get unusually hot?

The way I see it, it makes no sense to splash out £1,250 on something that I might hardly ever use and is going to add unnecessary weight. 

Experience and advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers

Mes

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For resale: Yes For comfort: Yes For roof off hot days: Yes For euro trips: Yes! For trackdays: Yes For winter: No - see heated seats   Ok, this might sound crazy given that this is a Lotus Exi

I've got a Roadster with air con and I wouldn't be without it. It's not just useful for having properly cool air in the cabin but also for keeping the windows and windscreens fog-free in cold, damp we

It get's very hot, so bad that I even run with it on on track.    You'll have no idea whether it's on or off though from looking at the button

I would say that air con is pretty much an essential as it can get pretty hot in the cabin.  Also it will effect the residual price of the car when you come to sell it/trade it in.

I very much doubt you will notice the added weight. If you do, just don't fill the tank full of fuel !!

Paul

Mine's a Roadster with aircon, but I've never even switched it on as the roof comes off if the temp is above 15c :) I think on a Coupe it would be fairly essential come resale, so worth specifying for that reason alone.

I've got a Roadster with air con and I wouldn't be without it. It's not just useful for having properly cool air in the cabin but also for keeping the windows and windscreens fog-free in cold, damp weather.

Edited by BillTheButcher
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Looks like air con it is then. I did think it might get a bit warmer than I'm used to in such a small cabin with the engine directly behind you. Sure, I know I wouldn't notice the weight on the bum dyno but every little helps, especially on a car this light! Oh and residuals are not even close to a consideration. I don't intend selling it, and if I do, I'd take the hit with no issues. 

But if it's needed then it's needed. Appreciate the replies. 

:thumbsup:

It get's very hot, so bad that I even run with it on on track. 

You'll have no idea whether it's on or off though from looking at the button ;)

If you get the air conditioning on, then leave the button alone. WIll come on automatically when you turn the blower dial next time you get in the car.

• Like 1

Yes, but unless unbearable I turn it off when on track (despite posting above), then turn it on on warm up/cool down laps. But keep the blowers on full, so by the end of a session i have absolutely no idea where it is. If someone could confirm I can customise a LED on the AIM MXS dashboard to indicate air con, air circulation and seat heating I'd invest in one in a heartbeat.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

It isn't just heat as the aircon is very effective at demisting.

I wouldn't even consider a non-aircon car any more no matter what it was, especially an expensive one, so yes it will affect resale value.

I had the exact resale discussion with the guys at JCT. Coupe = Essential, Roadster = optional.

I was more interested in the heated seats in the Roadster actually  :blush: I actually use those more often than A/C ;)

In the end I did a deal on a stock car that has everything (bar Race).

• Gold FFM

Ask a couple of different dealers about the resale and residuals forecast with the options.

The finance companies will have residual forecasts for the pcp stuff - I think that will aid your choice massively

Only here once

Radiators in the front

Engine in the back

All the pipework connecting the two running along the sills.

Open a window and you get hot air from the rad blowing in. 

It will get toasty in there!

Air con failed in my evora the other month. and it was a miserable place to be when it was 25 degrees outside 

I wouldn't dream of not having aircon in mine. A must for me.

Mine stays on for track as well, I find the effect of driver comfort/endurance on track performance outweighs any bhp penalty from having it on!

• Like 1

With the roof off in a Roadster, if you get stuck in traffic (imagine!) a/c is a godsend! :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks guys. It obviously gets hotter than my other cars in there. 

My man maths still can't equate the price plus the weight for something I'll use so rarely but the consensus is 100% yes so that's that. 

I'm not being cheap, the money saved would only go into the car eventually anyway. And I'm really not at all fussed about residuals, never am. Maybe I should be smarter with my money! :)

But yeah, I'll be ordering it with aircon. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Just to voice a different opinion, I'm not a fan of aircon and am of the opinion it has no place in sportscar. I took it out of my first Esprit (never even checked if it worked or not) and was happy to learn the condenser had already been replumbed when I got another one. Sure, it can get warm, but I prefer a sunroof/open top and open windows anyway.

Filip 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Just to voice a different opinion, I'm not a fan of aircon and am of the opinion it has no place in sportscar. I took it out of my first Esprit (never even checked if it worked or not) and was happy to learn the condenser had already been replumbed when I got another one. Sure, it can get warm, but I prefer a sunroof/open top and open windows anyway.

Filip 

I can understand your reasoning, but I can't imagine my Exige without the aircon as indeed it gets really really hot in the cabin.  Also, in the event that I'm driving my car when it starts to rain (god forbid, but it did happen once...), the aircon is a necessity.

Filip 

Exactly my point Filip! :)

But sadly these guys have all twisted my arm and have annoyingly backed it up with common sense!

Jealous you live in Flanders. One of my favourite places to be!

I can understand your reasoning, but I can't imagine my Exige without the aircon as indeed it gets really really hot in the cabin.  Also, in the event that I'm driving my car when it starts to rain (god forbid, but it did happen once...), the aircon is a necessity.

I got caught on a hot day when it started raining when driving through France on the Autoroute with the roof down. I simply sped up ;)

Seriously today though I had the roof off, it was 30c+ and the A/C didn't seem to make the blindest difference. Maybe my feet got colder, but I was still roasting. If I'd had a non A/C Coupe though I'd have melted.

• Gold FFM

Don't get me wrong, I can understand the reasoning pro-aircon as well. As a matter of fact, at the moment I'm quite annoyed at the little difference the aircon at the office makes. It's already pushing 26°C outside and I just had a (enjoyable) 1 hour drive to work with the Esprit. With too much stuff in the boot to take the roof off...

But I still stand by my decision to rip the aircon out of all my cars, I wont back down. :rambo:

I also find the demister in the Esprit very effective and as a daily driver in Flanders, she does see her fair share of rain. But I have never had the pleasure to be in an Exige, so can't really comment or compare. I guess the tilting sunroof does make a big difference.

@Mes, no reason to be jealous, I would gladly swap places!

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.