free hit
counters
Bemused of Swindon writes... - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
swindon_alan

Bemused of Swindon writes...

I am probably going to get ripped to shreds for posting this but I just noticed the latest news:

The new Lotus Evora 400 laps the Lotus test track at Hethel six seconds faster than the previous Evora S in a time of 1 minute 32 seconds. Combining high performance with the legendary Lotus benchmark handling, it is faster and dynamically more capable than the previous Lotus Evora leading to greater agility and a more involving drive.

Maximum speed is 186 mph (300 km/h) and acceleration 0-60 mph is just 4.1 seconds (0-100 km/h in 4.2 seconds). Over two thirds of the Lotus Evora 400 is new, including its supercharged and charge-cooled mid-mounted 3.5-litre V6 engine producing 400 horsepower and 410 Nm of torque. A new aluminium chassis incorporates a new interior and the lightweight composite body has changed significantly both front and rear.

I have to confess that I haven't much interest in post Esprit Lotuses (I like the Grand Tourer/supercar concept) or many other models although I do have a soft spot for the original Elans, the Europa and so on - older bloke I suppose.

It just struck me that those performance figures are just about the same as my 1996 V8 Esprit as near as dammit.

That was designed and built nearly 20 years ago. Far from decrying what Lotus have achieved and will continue to do so, is that progression?

Shoot me down in flames, go on...

:harhar:

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Dear Bemused,

It is probably still progress in that they have managed to maintain pretty darn good number with having to add more safety systems etc to the car than what the old esprits had. To be able to do that and keep the weight down and the figures up IS progress.

No?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I will give you that. Another 50 bhp from the same ccs plus all of the airbag and chastity belt bollocks I suppose.

I suspect if you race a V8 Esprit against a 400 Evora the new car will lap the old stage within ten laps.

I suspect if you race a V8 Esprit against a 400 Evora the new car will lap the old stage within ten laps.

I think that this needs to be attempted...

Wow

Actually Advantage, that wasn't really what I was alluding to. Yes, that would be cracker to see what happened (I would happily lend my Esprit to a top notch driver for that challenge, I'm not up to that!)

I'm sure that the Evora with modern materials and twenty odd years of suspension development might eat a V8 Esprit :-p

The comment was more to do with straight line performance?

They both have a similar power to weight ratio. Straight line stats will be similar. 

400 bhp and approx 1415 kgs is around 280 bhp/tonne (410nm torque)

350 bhp and approx 1350 kgs is around 260 bhp/tonne. (400nm torque)

Nothing in it. 

Ok, understand.

However, for a performance car manufacturer (yes alright, Toyota the engine maker) shouldn't they be squeezing silly amounts out of every gasp of air and petrol mix by now?

<smug>Nah, I just assume that Lotus got it right all of those years ago with their in house engine design</smug>

And would your Esprit be so forgiving out in the buttercups?

http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/47528341001

(OK. So I've put that link and then done it again as it didn't work and it still doesn't. You will have to copy and paste it into a webpage. A good bit of nostalgia.)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

To be fair to the V8 it wasn't in its full power mode when fitted to the Esprit. Concerns over longevity of the gearbox and those poor old driveshafts meant it was dialled back for Esprit installation - and even then it was artificially strangled in the lower gears.

Given the GM connection, I can't understand why they didn't just drop a small-block Chevy in. The money they saved on that they could have put towards a decent transaxle.

Margate Exotics.

There is nothing exotic about a mass production GM smallblock engine!

Given that it will leave great power performance, but promoting an exotic super car with a truck engine. Thats bad marketing!!

Lars

Ah yes, the same exotic super car which also comes with a Renault gearbox?

Margate Exotics.

Given that it will leave great power performance, but promoting an exotic super car with a truck engine. Thats bad marketing!!

Lars

Or a Camry V6.

The engine origin doesn't matter I don't think. It is what is done with it after that.

And a bulletproof V8 with more spare parts than the world has had hot dinners may not have been a bad thing.

You could also ask yourself why the V8 was so puny. 25 years ago Lotus got 377 bhp and 414 ft.lbs (560 N.m) from the venerable old iron block Opel 3.6 litre straight six.

As Advantage says, it was deliberately detuned. The GT1 racer with full on turbo boost and a Hewland gearbox was kicking out 550 bhp.

Ah yes, the same exotic super car which also comes with a Renault gearbox?

Nah, it came with a DeLorean gearbox :thumbsup:

And would your Esprit be so forgiving out in the buttercups?

Erm no, I took mine off road (unintentionally) and ended up with a huge repair bill :vava:

The same tune was played when the Evora S was launched. My experience with both cars suggests they are very close in a straight line. I haven't been in a V8 Esprit for some time sadly but if memory serves me correctly the Esprit would have the edge, especially in Sport 350 form. But then the Esprit was a rival for the Ferrari F355 at the time, and in reality quite considerably quicker. The Evora is more of a GT/sporting 2+2 coupe that just so happens to handle beautifully around a track. Being as fast as a V8 Esprit is no failure when it comes to straight line performance.

Perhaps a more reasonable place to look for how things have moved on and also where a new Esprit would have to be pitched would be too look at the blistering McLaren 650S (also in reality considerably quicker than a 458). In that respect Lotus are not even trying with the Evora, S or otherwise. It's a very different sort of car. The similarities to the Esprit's straight line speed are purely co-incidental.

However at some point the Evora will overtake the Esprit V8's considerable straight-line pace. I'm confident that the Evora 400 is the car to do it. It's taken some time to get there but having more power than the Lotus Carlton should see to it.

• Like 1

I never realised how close the performance was in terms of the numbers.

That said although I love the Esprit I think if you were able get the best Esprit V8 time for the hethel track and compare with the Evora the difference would be telling.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Lars

Yeah, you're right Lars 'cause this Viper with a truck engine had no success or desirability. Thank god Lotus saw sense :)

post-18801-0-61603800-1436008426.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I should also point out that the small block Chevy was a passenger car engine, starting out in the '55 Corvette, and Bel Air, not a truck.

Margate Exotics.

Also in quite a few very nice ski boats after being marinised.