free hit
counters
Evora Roadster - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
FredP

Evora Roadster

Top Gear JMG interview confirmed the plan for the Evora roadster.

"There will be an Evora 400 Roadster, with twin carbon fibre roof panels that stow in the front and weigh just 3kg each."

From above, I was wondering how this roadster could look... a bit like the Alfa Romeo 4C? 

(ex) Elise S1 (VIN 357) LHD

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was wondering how this roadster could look

Great

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I'm confused by the " stow in the front" bit. That would require complete reengineering of the front clam... Sound more targa than roadster to me I was thinking more something along the lines of the Macca 650s roof.

Regardless it will look great.

Edited by NedaSay

I'm sure he said in the past that the roof panels would stow behind the front seats...

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Front doesn't open on the Evora does it?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Bumpersticker2.jpg

Small hatch for fluids. The front is full of wizardry and fans to keep it cool...

It also houses the best steering rack in the world!!

A Evora roadster will be a great car, shame it's taken all these years to find the bucks to do it!

If you remember the Bodyform ad, all you need is an angle grinder to make a convertible!

The issue for me with the previous Evora convertible plans was the implication of it being 2+0 only, so there was somewhere for the roof to fold into.  That would immediately narrow the appeal.

If it's a targa and they can find somewhere to stow the roof panels that keeps it as a 2+2 then great, even if you can't stow the roof panels AND have rear passengers at the same time.  If there was also an option for a rollable canvas roof that stowed in the boot (like the Elise) then even better.

Maybe it's just me but compromises that work on a 30K lightweight car like the Elise don't fit the Evora IMHO. Can you imagine telling someone with 80K+ to spend that pip-pops are just as good a solution as Porsche's fully automatic targa roof?

The canvas roof on the Murcielago Roadster is quite Elise-like for a six-figure car!

• Like 1

Also, the new 4C spider from Alfa ONLY ships with a fabric roof. Later, a lightweight carbon roof will be released. Also, the Porsche Boxster Spyder has a fabric roof and looks really good as it has been done well. The F-Type is a fabric roof and in general the folding tin roofs have a really bad reputation whether from Mercedes or Peugeot or whoever.

So actually, I don't see this type of approach as being an issue - the key caveat would be please please please Lotus spend a little bit of money and make it right first time. A quality solution (glass, fabric, or carbon and manual/automatic etc.) is what is needed for a quality car.

An Evora 400 spyder, done right, at £85k base price with leather would be on my dream list for sure.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

I don't have an issue with a fabric roof - the MX5 and S2000 have great ones for example. However faffing around in a sudden downpour is no fun - having to pull over to get out a heath-robinson afterthought of a roof is not something I'd fancy and I'm already biased towards the car...

TBH the Elise was always more Targa than Roadster though. Just that the Targa Top was a soft one.

I'll be interested in the cabin noise implications. It's already pretty crap at speed and as this is a big touring and high speed car it really should not get worse in this area. If it comes as a one piece removable full hardtop a la elise/exige then I would up for that. Quite easy to predict summer storms over here. 

Come on Lotus - do a lightweight NA roadster version!  :bounce:  :thumbup:

I can't imagine it looking much different from this except for the new bumpers and the the new wing... with tonneau cover going much higher à la 650S spider and 458 spider.

1.jpg

Edited by ramjet
  • Like 1

Top Gear JMG interview confirmed the plan for the Evora roadster.

"There will be an Evora 400 Roadster, with twin carbon fibre roof panels that stow in the front and weigh just 3kg each."

I do hope he's been misquoted or misinterpreted rather than not knowing how his own company's products are packaged.

But it's a well known fact that owners on public forums have a much better idea than the manufacturer as to how the design should have been executed.

• Like 2

Mike S

Anyone able to "photoshop" or what-have-you what a convertible Evora would look like?

post-7988-0-83849700-1436211314.jpg

post-7988-0-22845200-1436211315.jpg

post-7988-0-39571700-1436211314.jpg

These go back about 5 years which says it all and I never get tired of posting.  This was when they were talking at the factory in early 09 (to me in person, so not some internet rumour) about a folding soft top which would fold into the rear seat space.  

IMO the targa version is a much better idea as at least you will be able to keep the seats/luggage space and possibly still get the panels stowed behind the seats as well which makes the car far more usable as a weekend/week away car.  Lose the back seats storage and I for one will not be in the slightest interested.

• Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

That Al, looks lovely and how patriotic in red, white and blue  :smoke:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Mike, he's been quoted as saying the will stow behind the seats some time ago, and more recently that they'll go in the front of the car (which is very unlikely). I'd imagine it's a magazine misquoting him in truth and will ask the factory to contact the mag tomorrow to correct the error.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators