free hit
counters
Talk to me about Race Mode - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I'm intending on fully testing Race Mode when my car is run in and I can take it out on track. However I'm curious to know what would happen in the following situation. Please note this is an example and I haven't actually tried this!

On a wet roundabout, 2nd gear, floor the throttle on the exit....

Touring Mode - The engine power is cut / metered out / brakes applied on individual wheels to preventing the car from spinning. Both understeer and oversteer are avoided.

Sport Mode - Same as above but there is no understeer control and the car will step out a little at the rear before being brought back into line with the engine power being cut / brakes applied.

Race Mode - ??

Edited by ChrisBuer

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you have more lateral g on the car than the tyres can cope with it will slide and you have to correct it to preserve all that lovely liquid gold paintwork. If the lateral load is contained and you're accelerating in a straighter line the power will be bled away to reduce wheel spin. If you're deliberately provoking the car to see what happens (best save that for a quiet trackday) the power can be cut back to zero if it's really slippery. Race mode only gives the tyres what they can cope with. Excess throttle is trimmed off. But if the grip is so low that the tyres can't put any power down you had better be pointing in a straight line because they can't deal with any lateral load either!

• Like 1

Thanks. Ok so you can still spin the car in Race Mode then? I read somewhere that it was the safest setting to drive the car in, but that sounds as if touring would be the safest mode.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a competent driver (numerous limit handling days with Don Palmer, Rospa Gold, IAM, completed nearly all of the original Lotus driver training days, etc). In other words I'm comfortable on track / an airfield to control the car if it loses traction with the tyres reaching their maximum slip angle.

I was just curious to know what the Race Mode actually did. Whether it would prevent a slide but give you the maximum available power. Or if it actually did something else.

One other thing I've noticed is that I don't think you can turn the traction control fully off any more. The DPM switch on my car is different to that of previous cars. Now all I have is a + and - on the switch rather than the words Touring, Sport and the Race flag.

Turning the switch to the + once gives me sport, turn and hold gives me Race and the traction control light illuminates to suggest that it's off and that Race mode has taken over. Hold to the + again and nothing happens. It doesn't go out of Race mode. Not that it really matters to me but I thought you could turn everything off in the past.

When you hold again from race mode the "race" light should go off but the traction control off warning remains. This means all is off.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

^ As Tom says. Additionally, it's worth noting if you do this at a standstill with the clutch depressed and the front wheels vaguely pointing straight, instead of switching off, a message will pop up on the screen telling you you've initiated launch mode. 

Edited by Arun_D

CB, nothing will change the laws of physics ;) that said rain or shine my experience is you have to be a heavy handed oaf to spin it in sport mode ..... 

Race mode is a pure traction control system designed for performance, the other two are safety systems and make individual use of the brakes. Some who use 'sport' a lot on track have reported premature rear brake pad wear.

I never use 'Race' on the road but use only 'Race' or 'Off' on the track.

You can definitely spin in Race mode.

I had it in race mode for the whole video. You'll see what happens at 3.10 when I had to back off mid-corner to avoid ramming into the Speciale. Don't you hate it when a 600bhp Ferrari keeps getting in your way. ;)

• Like 1

I'm at the factory on Weds and hope to tie down a date for all Exige Cup and Race Pack car owners to go there and be taught by them how to get the most out of the DPM inc Race mode.

Really think this would be a really good experience. We had a very wet track day on a short twisty track, and although I'd read what all the modes do, this was a good opportunity to go through the settings and see how each worked real world at a pretty slow pace in the pouring rain!

Jonny is right, sport on track (especially in the wet) eats rear brakes. You don't really realise it is happening at first because the car does not make a song and dance about helping you out with flashing lights. Same thing happens on the Elise, but I guess as it was quieter you could hear the brakes doing their work.

Mine doesn't have Race mode so it's not relevent to me, but...

I thought it was meant to "learn" the grip levels and adjust accordingly. I wouldn't have thought this was possible on the road given the way the surface can constantly vary in quality. Fine on a smooth consistent race track, but potentially dangerous on a road?

It looks for similar patterns in driving repetitively eg on a track and will need to see the same inputs several times on the trot to start to detect the coefficient of friction of the surface. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It looks for similar patterns in driving repetitively eg on a track and will need to see the same inputs several times on the trot to start to detect the coefficient of friction of the surface. 

That would suggest that it wouldn't work on the road then surely? 

I've used it a few times on the road and it seems to sort the traction out if you're a little early on the throttle. The car feels alive rather than constrained when using a regular traction control / power limiting system. Instead it feels as if the power is being sliced up and shared around rather than eaten up :)

Someone said to me that Race mode was safer than Sport mode?! Is that true?

It's quicker, that's certainly the case as it gives you maximum acceleration.

No, it won't detect the coefficient of friction on just any surface you're driving over, it needs to see the same surface a few times in succession to work to it's full extent.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Why would Race mode be safer than Sport? In what circumstances?

Very odd claim. Was it backed up by anything intelligible? Or just muttered in between gulps of real ale?

You could perhaps argue (at a push!) that you lose control of your line through a corner if the full ESC system is activated. It could in theory correct your slide but drive you straight towards oncoming traffic on the road but that applies equally to any ESC system and you'd have to have been driving like a complete idiot to get into that situation in the first place. There are so many situations where you'd be worse off without ESC too. Much like there are some accidents that you'd escape if you were on a bike but many more where you are worse off.

The BS detector is going off for this one I'm afraid!

Why would Race mode be safer than Sport? In what circumstances?

Very odd claim. Was it backed up by anything intelligible? Or just muttered in between gulps of real ale?

You could perhaps argue (at a push!) that you lose control of your line through a corner if the full ESC system is activated. It could in theory correct your slide but drive you straight towards oncoming traffic on the road but that applies equally to any ESC system and you'd have to have been driving like a complete idiot to get into that situation in the first place. There are so many situations where you'd be worse off without ESC too. Much like there are some accidents that you'd escape if you were on a bike but many more where you are worse off.

The BS detector is going off for this one I'm afraid!

Whooa calm down :)

Nobody was drinking ales when they mentioned this to me. This is based on a few separate conversations and various reviews online where people have said that Race Mode is safer than Sport Mode based on the fact that it steps away from a standard traction control system and uses the full brilliance of the Bosch system. Didn't Chris Harris say that you get less slip in Race Mode than you do in Sport Mode? Sport Mode just takes away understeer recognition and gives a bit of slip at the back whereas Race Mode gives less slip and better management of power?

What I wasn't clear on is whether Race Mode would prevent the car from over-steering if you were a little early on the throttle on the exit of a corner. Like in my example above, I'd imagine Touring just cuts all power and prevents the car putting the power through the wheels to cause traction to break. Sport mode relaxes this off a bit bit will still cut in. What I wasn't clear on is exactly what Race mode did, if it was in fact safer, as it doesn't brake individual wheels, but rather shifts power around to maximise traction. 

Therefore in my mind, I couldn't;'t see how this could be "safer". As you can't get near to the limit of these cars on the road, I was asking the question of those who had done it on track and whether Race Mode was indeed the most efficient and safest mode when driving quickly?

I think it is probably best to take the car on the track after listening to the theory from the Lotus experts at Hethel, that way we can find out what it is meant to do.

Bibs, as some of us are down at Hethel next week, could we get someone to give a chat about the various modes?

Update:

I've asked Lotus if it is possible to have an expert speak to the LF1 owners who are down next week. I will post their reply....

Edited by PaulLF1

I'm at the factory on Weds and hope to tie down a date for all Exige Cup and Race Pack car owners to go there and be taught by them how to get the most out of the DPM inc Race mode.

Like this, would be up for it depending on cost not being ridiculous!

As explained above Race mode is a performance aid, Tour and Sport are safety aids. The safety net is a bit looser in Sport but it's still a safety net designed for road use. So no, the car isn't 'safer' in Race mode, nor was it intended to be. It is theoretically safer in Sport mode but quite unlike Chris Harris's suggestion does not make the car 'Billy proof'. No car is, nor ever will be. Driving genius has it's limits. Driving stupidity does not!

Race mode can't and won't prevent the car from oversteering, it only trims excess throttle and therefore contains wheelspin - just one of many causes of oversteer. Lift-off oversteer, scandinavian flicks, aggressive steering inputs and the like all cause oversteer with zero throttle and will all be corrected by Tour and Sport mode but not in Race mode. If you were brave/daft enough to get back hard on the throttle after a lift-off oversteer slide then you'll find nothing will happen in Race mode until the car detects some rear grip. It won't make a bad situation worse but you are on your own in terms of correcting the oversteer.

It does also act effectively like an e-diff in that it will meter out power according to the available grip - but usefully without using the brakes like some other systems do. You should not be hearing the revs flare and spin-up the inside rear wheel accelerating out of a tight hairpin in Race mode. Something those bemoaning a lack of rear lsd should remember. But you can still oversteer which was what I was trying to show in the video, it was purely lift-off oversteer.

As no doubt Don Palmer and others have explained it's because a tyre can only do one thing at a time to 100%. If you're at 100% lateral grip you have no grip left in reserve for forward motion. In this instance Race mode doesn't give you any power. If you're at 100% of the tyre's braking ability you have no reserve grip left for turning and so on, hence why trail braking involves easing back with the brake pedal as you add steering angle. Also why the ESC modes will straighten the car up with individual use of the brakes. The car needs to turn less to find more grip. Turning more isn't an option at that point.

Regardless of the theory, it's a lot more fun finding out all this stuff on the track. I look forward to reading your findings in due course.

From what i have read, race mode is useful after the apex. Yes if you mash the pedal on a tight turn it is going to oversteer with the SC power or flick it intentionally but Chris Harris was on about the understeer which is built in to this Exige and most other new sports cars. The race mode is supposed to measure the grip and the understeer and allow the maximum power without understeer effectively leaving the corner as fast as any really good driver. Most good drivers wont really need this as they can detect the understeer themselves and develop the throttle response accordingly or even change the angle of the car at the apex using the brakes and weight transfer. 

I don't have any in depth knowledge of the system to say whether it is safer or not, i would guess it could lull you into thinking you can floor it earlier thus increasing the chances of a spin which Jonny was eluding to, so in that respect you could say it is not as safe as sport mode. 

If however it does only help control the understeer i could see the novelty wearing off quick as frustrating as understeer is part of the fun is trying to learn how to drive around it to a point.

Thanks all, especially the Pits. As soon as you say e-diff the penny dropped.

I am very much looking forward to playing with it properly on track :)

Gents,

I have been using Tour Mode when driving on the road when it has been wet and keeping the car well within its limits by generally taking my time. I have been using Sport Mode when it's dry and on 'spirited road runs', and also a couple of trackdays. Is this a good choice? I have not used Race Mode at all and have not switched off the system either.

A few of my mates in their V6 cars drive in Sport on the road in the wet and they 'switch off' when on trackdays. One of them used Race Mode during a trackday not long after getting the car and it worn down the pads very quickly, so he does not use that setting anymore.

I have also spoken to Jamie from Bell and Colvill last year and he says that he uses Race Mode on the road and not Tour or Sport. I cannot remember his reasoning, but I cannot see why you would gain any benefit when driving on the road using the Race Mode setting. Is there any situation when this would apply?

So my question is;

When would the best use of Tour be and why?

When would the best use Sport be and why?

When would the best use of Race be and why?

Everything off just for Trackdays or racing as I would presume that one of the above settings would be beneficial and safer when driving on the road.

Is Tour Mode the safest setting and best for driving in the rain?

Last question. Which mode chews through brake pads the most, Sport or Race Mode?

Thanks,

Steve.

The date for the factory day is the 17th Sept with room for up to a dozen or so people. If you really want to learn from the people who designed and developed the system then put it into practice on the Lotus test track, book the day off already!

Evora NA

The date for the factory day is the 17th Sept with room for up to a dozen or so people. If you really want to learn from the people who designed and developed the system then put it into practice on the Lotus test track, book the day off already!

Where do we sign up?

As soon as we've sorted all the details I'll post up a new topic. Should be a great chance to answer questions in this topic and give you a chance to experience the full benefits of race mode in a real environment. :)

Evora NA