free hit
counters
Vinyl. After a 15 year absence. Anyone else? - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
DaveC72

Vinyl. After a 15 year absence. Anyone else?

Ok, so this is about 18 months after the event, but last year I decided (on a whim) to buy myself a new turntable having had my Linn Axis destroyed in a "disagreement" some 15 years previously.

I have to say, I'm loving it.

I'm of an age where I already had a "pre-made" collection which I dusted off - but I forgot how much I actually enjoyed the "ritual" of putting on an LP:

Flick through collection.

Wince at some of the more "eclectic" options you see there.

Select.

Power up amp, turntable etc

Remove sleeve.

Remove dust jacket.

Cursory blow of both sides of the platter, flipping disc between both hands.

Place disc.

Pick up and place tone arm.

Listen to the pops and crackles as you settle down with something tasty in a glass

Enjoy.

Admittedly I had forgotten that you have to get up every 25-30 mins or so and turn the damn thing over - yet I find the linear access of the music (i.e. one track after the next) to be far more satisfying than skipping from track to track.

Don't get me wrong, I still have an MP3 player plugged in to the car, will listen to streamed music whilst I work etc, and there could be an element of placebo effect, but I just find the whole vinyl experience deeply satisfying.

Coupled to the resurgence of new Albums also being available on vinyl, I'm in hog heaven.

Anyone else, and if so what are you listening to?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I finally had a use for one of my old records choosing a "state of the art" playback device !!!  

(choose the record carefully -one you don't care about)   :hrhr:

(on the bright side I can take it camping)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNowLvmIPoo

Ive got my trusty pro-ject3 and Teac amp - minimalist style with no CD player or tuner  

25-30 minutes per side??  Think you will find its typically nearer 22 minutes or so!

Mainly listen to late 60's psychedelia through to obscure 'John Pee'l inspired early 90's Hardcore - Favourite vinyl track ever - Lady Godiva's Operation (VU) or perhaps the Green Manalishi  (Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac)

Topical video :)

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I never left vinyl in the first place....I have a couple of cabinets full of LPs, everything from opera to obscure modern jazz. The rock'n'roll era was never my muse...more into Parker and Miles. The 1977 stuff is still working nicely....the Technics deck has had a NEW stylus (!) and the old B&W speakers still sound good....linked to the satellite receiver too, for the big screen projection TV.  Runs through a JVC stereo receiver, which I've only had to mend once!! Oh, I did blow one of the speakers by playing an on board recording of a Lancaster takeoff with rather too much enthusiasm....(!) The kit will soon be 40 years old. I have thought of transferring the recordings to solid state format; but it would take far too long to do....and I wouldn't gain anything from so doing.

I did do a valuation of the record collection a year or two back, and it's somewhere near £2,500 (!) Perhaps I ought to listen to some of them.....but I prefer doing to listening and, when the mood takes me, I grab the ancient guitar and have a play!! More fun in that than listening to someone elses perfection.....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I keep promising myself I'll get a turntable and a phono stage, but it keeps slipping down the pile due to spending money on a green thing I have in the garage.

Margate Exotics.

Thanks for the responses.

Steve,

yes I think I was being ambitious with the times.  Although, it can take me a couple of minutes to get off my fat arse and pick up the arm... ;)

I love Peter Green era Fleetwood Mac -  a taste for which I inherited from my Father.  Allman Brothers, Cream, John Mayall's Blues Breakers etc.  I'm collecting these all second hand, but I need to wait for the OH to be out as she really doesn't "get" the more improvised stuff.  I also inherited a massive love of The Incredible String Band - which can actually cause her to leave the house!

John,

That sounds like a nice set up.  Sadly I lost all my old Hi-Fi in a predictably messy divorce.  An old Musical Fidelity A100 (which would also keep your takeaway warm), NAD 6240 Tape Deck, Denon 1500 CD player and some Musical Fidelity MC2s, and obviously my Linn Axis.  All of which I put together over a couple of years by searching for some second hand bargains. 

I currently have Musical Fidelity X-150 amp and V3 CD player, Wharfdale Evo 30s which I bought about 11 years ago.  Last year I added a Rega-RP40 which started all this.

I have to confess to never quite getting to grips to Modern Jazz - or indeed understanding what it actually is.  Seems one man's Modern Jazz is another man's lounge music.  Arguably the most confusing genre?

Charlie Parker and Miles Davis stuff I get, although am more of a Duke Ellington kind of guy to be honest.

Transferring to solid state would give you almost nothing sonically, but if you have anything rare and unrecoverable - which it sounds like you do - it would at least preserve your collection.

Ian,

There are some top class decks available at the entry point these days.  Pro-Ject and Rega both do great entry level decks and phono stages.  I looked at both brands long and hard - and got a stonking deal on the Rega but would have been happy with either.

Personally, I have a deep seated love of guitar based music.  Sadly I'm not gifted enough to play it myself, John.

Last weekend saw me "travel" across some quite diverse genres:

Started with Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (Melt).  Who couldn't love an LP that starts with Games without Frontiers and ends with Biko? Just me then...

Next up was Ryan Adams "Heartbreaker" (so, I like a bit of country - don't judge me).

Then was one of my new loves, Public Service Broadcasting "The Race for Space".  A modern day concept album.

Complete switch then to Eric Clapton's Rainbow concert.  OH not a fan - ho hum - so off she went to bed.

Which allowed me to finish with The Jesus and Mary Chain, Psycho Candy.  A band I will never grow out of, but probably should.

Just about my favourite way to spend an evening.

Never got rid of mine. Still got Monitor Audio direct drive plus SME 3 and Shure V15. Still have my complete vinyl collection of 500 plus records.

• Like 1

I class Parker and Miles AS modern jazz! I was astounded by my first encounter with be-bop...and still am. Never have been able to find those notes!!! My tastes go as far as Bitches Brew and the Mike Westbrook Concert Band, and go back to Ellington and Basie and Armstrong and Muggsy Spanier.  If you haven't got "Turning Point" from Mayall from 1969, it's worth getting....I bought it new back in the day..(!) The stuff that passes as "modern jazz" these days is either bland or weird. The greats of the genre don't get played much...the Gillespie Big Band (which I saw at the Hammersmith Odeon) and the later manifestations such as the Clarke-Boland Big Band, which nearly blew the roof off Scott's...I am glad I was around whilst these musicians were still performing.

As for the guitar..it has taken me 40 odd years to be convinced that I have but a small "talent to amuse" as Noel Coward said... I lack the fast twitch muscle fibres needed to play fast...so these days I have mostly given up trying to emulate Django and tend to acoustic blues extemporisation, and my own stuff...fun on the balcony on a summer's evening.....and sod the neighbours! (not that there are any close by)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Never got rid of mine. Still got Monitor Audio direct drive plus SME 3 and Shure V15. Still have my complete vinyl collection of 500 plus records.

A first class high compliance MM Cartridge and arm combo!

I've had dozens of turntables, from LP12's to Notts Analogue Dais, with most stops in between (I used to buy and sell, keeping them for a while then moving them on). When I moved house I had 8 turntables, so I sold them all as I needed some cash and I'd rather sell them than shift them.

The one I kept was my own design. I made it back when I was in my 20's an considered putting it into production, but I couldn't make them cheaply enough.

The Hayton Audio Mk1:

post-9379-0-51837400-1436351268.jpg

post-9379-0-35217500-1436351279.jpg

• Like 2

I too have a nice old Technics SL1300 with V15, sounds pretty good. Wanted a Linn, and loved the look and performance of the SME 3009, but could never afford it then.

Very amused at a new Hi-tech turntable I saw advertised which uses a laser instead of a cartridge, which doesn't quite do much for a total analogue solution!

I get the distinct impression I'm somewhat junior here (no offence meant)!  I bought my first bunch of proper Hi-Fi as a Sub-Lieutenant in the early 90s, so the LP12 was way out of my reach!

There's some serious kit being discussed, and I only came to most of this music much after the fact.  To my mind that's a good thing, though.  Proves the quality of the music if it can stand the test of time.

I'm not that old! (sub 40....(but not for long).

I was just an analogue weirdo hifi anorak with an obsessive interest in stereo systems and no mates or gf. :ermm:

• Like 1

I get the distinct impression I'm somewhat junior here (no offence meant)!  I bought my first bunch of proper Hi-Fi as a Sub-Lieutenant in the early 90s, so the LP12 was way out of my reach!

There's some serious kit being discussed, and I only came to most of this music much after the fact.  To my mind that's a good thing, though.  Proves the quality of the music if it can stand the test of time.

Can't speak for others, but I got my turntable back in the early 70's and have never seen the need to change it given the rapid technology change with today's media type changes and instant gratification with a remote click. The idea that current $10K turntables exist astounds me (you still get the pops and clicks of the vinyl). Here's what I have (last time used must be a few years ago)

136721-marantz_turntable_6300_heavy_one_

Hey Dave - Jesus & Mary Chain?  I've got a vinyl 'Reverence' 12" single (amongst several others) - Absolutely blistering  - especially the radio edit version, maybe one of the wildest guitar rock tracks?  (any other suggestions anyone?)   Sounds like we have a few overlaps in our collections.... 

• Like 1

Form the real hifi weirdo anorak, there is this group on Facebook..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/VTAgroup/?fref=nf

Vacuum tube amplifiers...and there are some REALLY amazing things being built...

I'm always tempted to play some of my vinyl, but I do have another drawback, in that I don't have any more space for it on the hi-fi rack. This means the gear would have to take even more room than it does already, so it's another reason not to invest.

Margate Exotics.

I've just replaced my Rega Planar 3 which I bought second hand for a very good price nearly 20 years ago. The cartridge and tonarm were in need of replacement but I was advised that for the price of upgrading I might as well get a whole new turntable so bought Rega's updated version of the Planar 3, the RP3. Also bought a Rega phono amp and it sounds fabulous. 

Only problem is finding the time to sit down and listen to it!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Very nice - which phono amp did you go for?

It's the Rega Phono MM. £200 and worth every penny! When I bought the turntable I took my NAD phono amp along which I thought was perfectly good enough. The Rega didn't just blow it out of the water in terms of sound improvement, it vapourised it! 

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Sounds good Guys!

I too, never left the LP playing. Have a nice Collection of music I like. My wife also have a nice Collection too from her earlier years.

For many years I have played on A Musical Fidelity A1 (still working fine), a wide selection of cd-players, Bang&Olufsen tape recorders, some nakamichi cassette recoders as well (I don't like them, but had to try), and a few pairs of British loudspeakers, together with my trusty Rega 3 (with small mods).

A couple of years ago I managed to find the last ever produced Tandberg TCD-3014a cassette recorder and I must admit it is simply magic to listen to. So musical. Only use it once in a while. Just recently, I managed to find a pile of great new old stock spares for it, for future use, apart from the old school remote, which I installed asap just because it's fun.

I've made some mods to my present B&W speakers (old school model, don't like the new ones), as well as mods to my Copland cd-player cda288 MkII SE, and my newest addition, a Copland hybrid amp, Copland CSA14. Really like the sound of that. Very much like my Musical Fidelity amp, but just more powerfull and even wider in all aspects. Both made just 3 kilometers from where I live.

I love to listen to LP, cassettes and well made cd's. I only listen to music as a specific choice, not as background sound.

And yes, I agree, it's a very nice feeling to find a good LP, take it out, dust it off, and play it.

I would like  Michell Gyrodeck LP player next.

I have made my living room to make as good a base for playing on m stereo, as possible. TV? .- don't give a dime for it. Spin around sound? No way.

I frequently go wit a friend or two to listen to what on the market (hifi machines), but am mostly dissapointed of how it sounds - skinny, overdetailing, and justnot musical. So very satisfied with my old school stereo ;)

Each to his own of course.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

• Like 1

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

I've got stacks of vinyl, mostly 60s / 70s rock (some mono first pressings too), but never get the urge to take them out of their sleeves. It always seems such a faff. So I play CDs. They're much more convenient and sound clearer too! :sofa:

I happened to be at the Mullard research labs in Mitcham (by then, part of Philips) when the first CD player arrived there. We all gathered around and gave it a good listen! It was very much the same engineering that had been used on the original Video Disc, which went FLOP! very loudly. None of us really thought that this new kid on the block would fare much better...who would replace their treasured vinyl with the new CD discs?

Answer...almost everyone, it turned out. And the old large diameter video disc morphed into the DVD and that conquered the video world, too....home recording now done to hard disc....things move on!

Then, I still have a working Betamax as well as VHS and DVD and CD players....so at least I can still play the old stuff....

One of the dangers of our digital world is that we risk losing the family records that the chocolate box filled with sepia photographs in the bottom of granny's chest of drawers provided. Photography has ceased to be permanent, or semi-permanent, and has become a fleeting glimpse of a transient moment captured on a mobile phone....as technology continues to develop, we shall likely lose the ability to view the images of the past...things won't stay in the cloud forever..... 

Turntable.jpg

As above, had it since the 70's, still got it. Great sound, just can't get used to getting up and down to change the record!

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I've got stacks of vinyl, mostly 60s / 70s rock (some mono first pressings too), but never get the urge to take them out of their sleeves. It always seems such a faff. So I play CDs. They're much more convenient and sound clearer too! :sofa:

No need to hide behind the chair.. No matter what "audiophiles" say about analog being "warmer" the fact is I'll take slightly colored digital (in others opinion, not mine) of CDs .etc to groove noise and vinyl pops etc. You can't really turn up the volume and get away from quieter passages having those vinyl deficiencies  IMHO. There was also a period of time when I remember the vinyl being so poor in quality I can remember bringing back an LP a few times , not sure if it was the master or that particular piece of vinyl being the cause of the pop, etc.  You also can't beat the instant accessibility of a digital remote to cherry pick songs you wish to hear vs listening through the whole side of an LP (lets face it sometimes some songs aren't the best). I also enjoy watching videos  (when available) if they are live or otherwise well coordinated. (sometimes the "total experience" just isn't the sound.)

Edited by comem47