free hit
counters
Help! Coolant Spilling Out after Re-fill - Need Some Advice! - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Help! Coolant Spilling Out after Re-fill - Need Some Advice!

Thanks for all the information Rob, I appreciate it. I will relay your info to my tech and ask him to perform the tests. Just to be clear, here is a quick review of what happened:

1. Engine was rebuilt at 14,000 miles because of 1301/1302 misfire codes with compression and leak down tests

2. After fixing some oil leaks and other issues, engine ran well for about 1,000 miles

3. Without ever overheating during that 1,000 miles post rebuild, the Low Coolant light came on

4. My tech found that the header cap had no seal, so he got a new header cap and seal from Lotus. Checked all hoses and filled with new coolant. I drove it for 15 minutes, and coolant came spilling out, and temperature went up, I quickly shut the car off.

5. I took it back in, my tech replaced the radiator with a new one. Put new coolant in. My tech said he did the combustion gas test, and the blue liquid stayed blue. I again drove it for 15 minutes, and same thing- coolant spilling out and tempurature went up, I quickly turned the car off.

6. I took it back in again, and my tech did the combustion gas test, and the blue liquid turned to yellow. Now he thinks the head gasket has failed and says that is the issue. I told my tech about the strong possibility of an air lock, but he is sure that all of the air is out of the system. He knows about the bleed screw on the engine and the radiator.

7. My questions are: What caused the Low Coolant light to come on in the first place?

8. Why did it spill out twice in the exact same manner after driving it home from the shop twice?

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I assume it was gushing out of the header tank?

How about a pressure tester connected to the header tank, to see what pressure the system builds up to, and when-if it is immediate then it could be pressure from exhaust gases, but if it takes a while to build up pressure then its more likely caused by water heating up and expanding/turning to steam. 

Is the water that comes out first cold or hot? If its cold, it is not circulating-maybe the impellers have come off the pump(IDK if that could happen on a V8 pump). 

If it is hot, it is.

Also, air locks can leave cold areas around bleed screws-if you can get to them to check-I have no experience with bleeding on a V8, and my comments are based on working on "normal" cars over the years.

good luck.

My v8 low water level light came on, it was low, when I refilled it and cleaned some of the sludge out of the level tester the light stayed on for a while (10 minutes, during which I was certain I had enough water in!), until the sludge moved. My next little job is to remove the sender and give it a proper clean-warm water and a good soak to get all sludge out of the sender/plunger/float.

• 2 weeks later...

3. Without ever overheating during that 1,000 miles post rebuild, the Low Coolant light came on

4. My tech found that the header cap had no seal, so he got a new header cap and seal from Lotus. Checked all hoses and filled with new coolant. I drove it for 15 minutes, and coolant came spilling out, and temperature went up, I quickly shut the car off.

If the pressure cap wasn't holding the correct 145kPa (21psi), then your engine could have forced out a lot of coolant, this happened to my 89SE on the track.  My pressure cap was only holding 10psi and I lost about a gallon of coolant, and then lost the head gasket.

5. I took it back in, my tech replaced the radiator with a new one. Put new coolant in. My tech said he did the combustion gas test, and the blue liquid stayed blue. I again drove it for 15 minutes, and same thing- coolant spilling out and tempurature went up, I quickly turned the car off.

Damage to head gasket was probably already done

6. I took it back in again, and my tech did the combustion gas test, and the blue liquid turned to yellow. Now he thinks the head gasket has failed and says that is the issue. I told my tech about the strong possibility of an air lock, but he is sure that all of the air is out of the system. He knows about the bleed screw on the engine and the radiator.

Probably definitely the head gasket at this point.

7. My questions are: What caused the Low Coolant light to come on in the first place?

Loss of coolant due to old worn out <21psi pressure cap.

8. Why did it spill out twice in the exact same manner after driving it home from the shop twice?

First time might have just been from thermal expansion and a weak cap.  Second time head gasket and exhaust gasses.

Cheers

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Thanks Wyane, and thanks Travis for all the detail. My tech did remove the engine and heads, and there was some damage to the gasket, so that will be changed. He also said the rings had shrunk, and needed to order new pistons and rings. After the engine rebuild the first time, I still don't really know what caused the coolant loss, but that is pretty sad if it was a simple $20 header cap.

I have another question - has anyone added the "Bars Leaks" product into their coolant to stop head gasket leaks? I am thinking about doing that after the repair, to prevent it.

Cheers

• 6 months later...
On July 14, 2015 at 08:14, WT2002CARS said:

Hi Howard,

Looks like we are sharing the same nightmare, I have had done exactly the same as you, replaced damn near everything and like you had a full engine rebuild, new clutch new blah blah blah you name it I've done it. Got it out of the shop last weekend with a new radiator and yep like you still spewing coolant. I am told by talking to lots of technicians that it has to be a cracked head or blown head gasket so engine coming out again.

My nightmare has been going on for a year now but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

Good luck and i will let you know when my heads are out with a full diagnosis I my email is [email protected]

All the best

Hi Wayne,

Just wanted to follow up.   My tech is currently taking the engine apart for inspection and X-raying of the block and liners. I will keep you all posted on what they find out.    Cheers

• 3 months later...
On July 14, 2015 at 08:14, WT2002CARS said:

Hi Howard,

Looks like we are sharing the same nightmare, I have had done exactly the same as you, replaced damn near everything and like you had a full engine rebuild, new clutch new blah blah blah you name it I've done it. Got it out of the shop last weekend with a new radiator and yep like you still spewing coolant. I am told by talking to lots of technicians that it has to be a cracked head or blown head gasket so engine coming out again.

My nightmare has been going on for a year now but I'm determined to get to the bottom of it.

Good luck and i will let you know when my heads are out with a full diagnosis I my email is [email protected]

All the best

Hi Wayne, 

i wanted to give you an update.  Engine taken apart and fully broken down.   The block was deemed as too corroded to use again for a new re-build.    So I sourced a new V8 Block, Pistons, and Liners, and Head gaskets.   Hopefully you are having some good news with your 918 engine.   Cheers! 

see this thread:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1