free hit
counters
TLF Esprit Norweigan tour, summer 2016 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Esprit Norweigan tour, summer 2016

Corban

The Copenhagen belt fest showed that gathering a bunch of looney Esprit aficionados in one place might make you reach critical mass. As we all now this is the mother of good ideas. Well, we weren't only gulping down delicious steaks in the evening (and drinking beer), there were some creative thinking going on too (believe it or not). Judging from the success of the belt fest, the interest on the forum for the event and the time it takes to book dates in your calendar, early announcement was found critical for a successful gathering of Esprit enthusiasts. Suggested was a tour of Norway (in Esprits of course) the next summer (2016). The Norwegian fjords and their surroundings might be some of the most beautiful sceneries in the world (and according to the Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, also prize winning). There are serpentine roads, steep hills, remote villages and astounding views to be experienced. There are some Esprit owners in Norway despite the fact that their tax regulations are almost like the ones in Denmark.  Hopefully our friends in Norway will help suggesting places to see, roads to ride, places to stay and beers to drink. Imagine 15 or more Esprits with sports exhausts roaring down a 5 km tunnel (Norwegian roads are littered with tunnels).
post-17332-0-94159100-1436699113.jpgpost-17332-0-07922200-1436699133.jpgpost-17332-0-51640800-1436699147.jpg

• Like 1

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I'm intrigued by the idea, but I don't believe there are any ferries direct to Norway from the UK at the present time, unless anyone knows different? It would mean a ferry to Esbjerg, then one from there to Norway. Or one very long drive!

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Really up for this, but Ian's right - no ferries at this time.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

I'm in fo a tour to Norway.

Great roads and scenery.

However, the route from Harwich to Esbjerg has been shot down!

A route from Scotland to Norway is being debated. If will be realized for next year?

From Denmark depatrures are from Hirtshals.

Lars

• Gold FFM

So for us, currently, it'll be around 1000 miles each way!

Ian, I'm sure you could charter us a 10-Esprit vessel?  :D

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

So for us, currently, it'll be around 1000 miles each way!

Ian, I'm sure you could charter us a 10-Esprit vessel? :D

1,000 miles? We'd need a cambelt service by the time we got there. As for chartering, I'm afraid not, can we not just fly, and rent an Esprit when we get there?

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

I come up with a reasonable suggestion, and you have to get silly. Pshaw.

Definitely interested in this.

I have just finished a two year contract in Stavanger in Norway. If I had continued with it I was going to ride a motorbike over and leave it there for the summer (I did one week remote working from the UK then one week on site, Gatwick to Stavanger on Norwegian).

The first year I was thinking Harwich to Esbjerg then through Denmark and on to Kristiansand. However, it was bloody expensive, even for a bike. As had been noted, the Harwich to Denmark route was closed in September last year so that's no longer an option.

HOWEVER...this year I found out that there is a DFDS freight route between Immingham and Brevik (closer to Oslo) that accepts bikes AND cars and it worked out around half the price of the Danish option. This could be a goer for next summer if you don't mind driving up to Humberside :-)

http://freight.dfdsseaways.com/dfds_ferries/north_sea_ferries/brevik_immingham_ferries/

I have attached the passenger info from last year, we would need to get an update on this.

NORWAY PRICES.pdf

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there were means of transportation to Norway (for Esprits at least)!  Nice Alan! This seem to be a viable option. Good to see such interest. I have been PM:ing some of our Norwegian forum members and they will surely join in when they see this thread is up and running. There might even be members from the US willing to join if there is space available in some cars. Australia, New Zeeland, Japan, anyone willing to join if there is a spare seat? There will be a prize for the furthest traveller  :ice:  or  :wine: or :beer: or the famous  :animier: (dancing girls that follow all Esprit drivers).

• Like 1

He he,
Your hint about DFDS might even be an option for our Danish friends (and Swedish).

There is Copenhagen to Oslo and Gothenburg to Brevik. Let's hope they are in operation in 2016.

From Denmark depatrures are from Hirtshals.

Lars

Yep, there's a lot of choice from Hirtshals for not a lot of money:

• fjord_line_s.png
    • 3 Sailings Daily 2 hr 15 min
  • color_line_s.png
    • 14 Sailings Weekly 3 hr 14 min
  • fjord_line_s.png
    • 7 Sailings Weekly 4 hr 30 min
  • color_line_s.png
    • 14 Sailings Weekly 3 hr 45 min

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

I would seriously consider this if it was a goer, I have always fancied a driving holiday in Scandinavia. What a pity the Newcastle to Bergen ferry no longer runs.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm definitely up for this, the 4-pot is ready. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Just looking at this from Alan's link - for me it's 4 1/2 hours to Immingham, and another 36 hours on a freight ferry to get to Brevik before going wherever it is we are going. 40-odd hours to Brevik, and that's before I get to wherever I am supposed to be (yet to be determined by Corban).

Also, I would have some reservations about getting my Esprit safely on and off the ferry given it's ground clearance, particularly at the front. These freight ferries are designed for just that - freight.

All this makes going by land more attractive, but even so, it's still a bloody long hike, 790 miles from Calais to Hirtshals to get a ferry to, for example, Kristiansand. That needs an overnight stop in itself.

I'm not trying to be a killjoy, because I think it would be a very interesting trip, but we need to consider everything.

Margate Exotics.

Gumball 1000 - for the time and cash strapped supercar owner!

I hear you Ian, its a hell of a slog.... Unless we charter a ferry packed to the gills with Esprits :o

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8