free hit
counters
TLF Esprit Norweigan tour, summer 2016 - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

TLF Esprit Norweigan tour, summer 2016

This could be a great change, I'll look in to it.
Then there was a suggestion about a ferry along one of the nicest fjords, this will have to be checked out also.

========================================
Torque times RPM equals horsepower!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This would be a very interesting have looked at doing this before so yes up for it. Looking at taking the Esprit to France again in September 2500 miles . Andrew

Trollstigen    

The Copenhagen belt fest showed that gathering a bunch of looney Esprit aficionados in one place might make you reach critical mass. As we all now this is the mother of good ideas. Well, we weren't on

Posted Images

This is an alternative route. You will avoid the E6 and instead drive the Valdresflya mountain. The E6 is more or less just for transportation. I have also removed the Atlantic Road because it further north and might not be worth the extra effort. 

http://tinyurl.com/okcxwvq

• 2 months later...

Totally agree there. I've been busy fixing the clutch, timing belt, alternator pivot and other odds and ends so the Norwegian tour has been somewhat neglected.
I think the route is almost done, may need some fine tuning. A new check on the ferry side of the matter, to see what might be available the upcoming summer.
Setting the date and we should be ready to go. A list of places to stay, maybe one hotel and a camping site at each town/village. Some research on good places to eat.
List of things to bring along in order to fix minor breakdowns, tools etc..

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

ive stumbled across this thread having recently joined the forum after buying an Evora. I've wanted an Esprit since I was a kid playing the old Amiga games.. Bought myself an M100 Elan back in the spring as my reckless toy fund didn't quite stretch to an Esprit... Caught the Lotus bug and now have the Evora as my daily transport! 

So... Coincidentally I'm getting married in the Norwegian Fjords in August. We're all flying over but I had hopes of being able to hire an esprit somehow as a wedding car for the day!.. Googling that sort of service didn't come up with an awful lot so I kind of forgot until I saw this thread. 

So - I'll be getting married in Fjaerland (which looks pretty close to your suggested itinerary) on Saturday August 13th... Anyone fancy making a few quid to help make my day even more memorable! Even better a drive by Esprit convoy on the day would be beyond incredible!

Appreciate this is quite the long shot but doesn't hurt to ask!

cheers

Dave.

Edited by 62dave

Hi all,
I've been kind of busy with my daily driver. Automatic transmission broke down on my XJ8. After some investigation I decided not to try to fix this myself.
Good thing though, I was FORCED to use the Esprit as my daily :) So I might well be the last one in Sweden to drive an Esprit in 2015 and the first in 2016!
Now the snow has finally come so I got myself a rental from the garage that is taking care of the jagg. But I wouldn't mind driving my SE with the right tires fitted.
This should be totally possible as shown by Mr Bond and now by Mr Vittel (although in a Lamborghini but still proving super cars can be driven all year round)

Before I put more work into the Norweigan tour, I would like to do an interest check to see if there are more people planning to join besides me and Swindon Alan.
Please post your interest in this thread so I'll have a rough estimate on how many we will be.

• Like 1

We've been driving in the southern parts of Norway a couple of times. Some photos from 2009 on my flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk9GN5Sx. We had an Opel Speedster (VX220 for you guys) then and the roads are brilliant. Although it takes time to drive there and you have to watch out for sheeps on the road and in the tunnels when it's hot.

We used to take the ferry from Strömstad (in Sweden) to Sandefjord in Norway. Then drive south along the coast to Kristiansand. Further along to the west along the coast and up to Stavanger. Then on to the ferry to Lysebotn. Over the mountains via Rjukan (yes, the heavy water plant) and up to Oslo. 

If you go ahead I can post on the Swedish Lotus Club forum as well. I won't be looking at Norway myself this summer since the club is organizing a two week tour to UK in July.

Henrik, I've been watching this thread develop from the sidelines and I must say I'm interested in joining in depending on the dates. Engine and gearbox are out of the S3 ATM but my target for completion is the TLF International @MBW in May so that shouldn't be a problem.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM

The Norwegian Tour is definitely on my to do list for this year! No other holiday plans (trip to Russia will have to be postponed), so would be great to be able to take the Esprit out. I've been to Norway once as a kid, but feel I haven't even scratch the surface of what I remember as a very beautiful country.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

As I recall the DFDS RoRo Freight Ferry from Immingham to Brevik one way was quoted around £170 for a car and £140 per person plus a £30 administration fee when I looked a couple of months ago.

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• 2 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Any news on this? Pretty soon we will have to fix our leave at work if we want to be sure to get it...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Dear Sirs and Madams!

As some have pointed out it is high time to decide on dates in order to make vacation and ferry bookings for this trip. It looks like DFDS have the "BREVIK - IMMINGHAM" line running. From Denmark it is possible to take the "Hirtshals-Larvik" ferry.
Brevik and Larvik are very close to each other. There is only one route (ferry) from Sweden these days and that is "Strömstad-Sandefjord". Sandefjord isn't that far from the Brevik/Larvik area, or you can go by road. But there seem to be a freight ferry Gothenburg-Brevik on DFDS web page.
All information you find on ferries etc. please post links here.

Suggestion one:
We meet at the parking lot outside the Larvik Museum (check Google maps) on July 18 at 10.00 (10 am) local time.

Suggestion two:
We meet at the parking lot outside the Larvik Museum (check Google maps) on July 25 at 10.00 (10 am) local time.

If these dates doesn't match the ferries from the UK, please post time and date when they arrive and what will be a good date and time to gather. I can only find time table until May 22 on the internet.
If you are opting for the drive through Sweden alternative (coming from The Netherlands, Germany or Denmark etc) let me know, then we can team up earlier.

Participants:

1. Corban

Please add your name to the list if you intend to participate :)

• Gold FFM

Good to see some dates being proposed!

I don't think I'll be able to do the 25th, due to other obligations being of August. 18th should just be possible, I have to check. If starting on a Monday, where and when would the tour end?

Just looked at the routes, and looks like the ferry is the best bet from coming from Belgium, saves about 500km. Although seeing a bit of Sweden sounds nice as well.

Filip

There is actually a roro ferry from Zeebrugge to Hirtshals, and from there to Larvik or Langesund. Which are close.

Lars

On 2015-09-11 at 14:00, Corban said:

Feedback from Norway indicates that the area in the first route suggestion was spot on if one wants to see the spectacular parts of Norway, so they are left in, in this next suggestion.

route02table.JPG
Daily stages of roughly 300 km and 5 hours of driving has been my ambition.
The new route includes Trollstigen, Atlantic road (curved bridge), some fjords and nice towns. The suggested stops are sometimes points of interest, sometimes just a place to take a break. We will pass Lillehammer, host to the 1994 winter olympics and famous from some serious driving with "Top Gear". Each daily start/stop destination should have both hotel and camping options.

It may seem like a long drive to some but I was thinking along these lines, if you take the trouble to ferry your Esprit to Norway, you might as well see the spectacular places whilst you're there.
It is an open event so you can join or leave whenever it suits your schedule, return ticket or budget.

Below is the route plotted on a map (roughly):

route_02.JPG

Feedback on this route and additional points of interests along it, is most welcome.

I'll be back with more on hotels, camping, evening events (beer and steaks), points of interest.

Toll roads and ferries (in Norway) etc etc....

To answer Escape. No problem changing this as we drive since there seem to be only 3 of us joining.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Thanks for reposting Henrik, I justed wanted to make sure what the current plan is.

I do seem to have a hard time finding a copilot...

:(

I can't do anything in July really. Three of our children have birthdays spread across that month. Sorry.

Plus I already have quite a lot of the summer booked out on other UK Lotus events now as I didn't think this was going to happen...

Would happily try again for next year though, if we get dates nailed after Christmas-ish?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)