free hit
counters
Car stereo wiring question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

This may be a stupid question, but if you don't ask you don't find out, so at the risk of stating the obvious...

I have just put a new Bluetooth Sony ICE unit in my Elise, replacing the original VDO unit.  The wiring harness in the car for the old unit I think is an ISO connection - two blocks, one for the speakers and the other for power etc.

Anyway, the Sony unit came with an adaptor harness which was a straight plug in job, powered it all up and it works fine.....but won't hold the memory when you turn it off.

I know this is down to the continuous feed not being connected - yellow wire according to most of the stuff I have read on the net.  In simple terms, the connector block on the adaptor has no connection wire corresponding to the yellow wire connection on my wiring harness.

So, is it simply a case of amending the adaptor plug so the yellow wire on the adaptor is on the same pin as the wiring loom when its all plugged in?  It seems obvious but I know nothing about electrics and don't want to cause any damage!

Most internet advice says about connecting a wire to the battery, but the old one worked OK so it must be possible to get it to work with the existing connections.

Thanks for any advice.  I can post photos if it helps.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my job . You've come to the right place . The yellow on the sony iso is for the 12v back up and should be live all the time . The red is the ignition feed and needs to have a switchable feed f

try it without the supplied harness 

• Gold FFM

On the old stuff - you used to have to wire the red and yellow together.

You normally have to manually turn it off though once you've done this.

On your harness from your car - I think the 12v is switched from the ignition? If so you will still loose the memory as you have no permanent 12v feed.

Only here once

This is my job . You've come to the right place . The yellow on the sony iso is for the 12v back up and should be live all the time . The red is the ignition feed and needs to have a switchable feed for the stereo to turn off and on . When you've done it right the sony will beep at you to say you've left the facia on with the stereo turned off . Also this is important as you mentioned bluetooth the ignition on your sony is needed to tell the bluetooth in the unit when to look and pair your phone ie on . And then when to disconnect ie when you turn the car off . If you wire the red to the yellow and have your unit perminantly on the unit will not work properly and the bluetooth will get confused .

Just to add on the iso find the black wire in the power section this is earth . Above it will be the red wire your ign then three wires over will be the yellow this is perm 12v usually on a vauxhall loom these feeds in the car will be the wrong way round so on the sony loom use the bullet connectors and swop the red to yellow and yellow to red and switch the ignition on and off you should get beeps when off this is now correct . If not make sure the yellow is staying live into the head unit and add a feed from the ignition into the red wire on the headunit .hope that helps

Edited by Alex Carter
  • Like 2

Thanks both for your replies.  I had overlooked the fact that it was a Vauxhall wiring loom.

The adaptor harness certainly has the red/yellow crossover bullet points - the manual does make reference to it but is not very clear (reads as though its been translated from another language).  Did think that may be the way to go but just needed some confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...