free hit
counters
Cars you don't really see on the roads any more... - Page 10 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cars you don't really see on the roads any more...

3 hours ago, scotty435 said:

Use to own one of these back in period and still one of my most loved cars. A homologation special with fantastic motorsport history. Probably the most undervalued car of this type, if it wore a different badge sure it would be different. The twin-plenum Rover Vitesse.

I had a V8 SD1 for around 6 months, used loads of petrol. Turmeric yellow GUD271S not that old but had a few rust spots on. The doors did not fall off either.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Another former V8 SDI owner here. I think its was Sapphire blue metallic with a fetching beige interior. 1979 GBH 197T.

I loved the car, despite a bit of body roll it was quick and fun to drive. :) 

• Like 2

It's getting there......

32 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Is the trampoline for sale?

There’s a story to that trampoline - it was the neighbours, wasn’t tethered and flew one night - right over the wall and smashed into the other half’s car! That was the end of a beautiful neighbourly relationship as after promising to sort the car he became a total dick in denial. It was one of the reasons we recently moved!😤

38 minutes ago, Dave Eds said:

The road grit box is very appealing.......

It’s Scotland - there’s a Gritbox every 50 feet…..it’s difficult to take a photo up here that doesn’t include one! Much needed in these Scottish Summer months!😉

• Haha 1

• Gold FFM

I’ve not long replaced the guttering on the shed after ours took a leap of faith in a storm. Smashed the side of the Nissan Leaf as well and ended up in a smashed heap in the middle of the drive.

• Confused 1

Only here once

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2019 at 04:35, jep said:

I had two SL 128 and three 128 3P. Wonderful cars and I used one 3P every day for 10 years from 1992 to 2002 and it did not rust (much). Quite amazing, it was out in all weathers and just stayed in good shape. I would run it to 6500 in 4th (top) gear for hours and it loved it.

My mate had a 128 Rally. That is very rare RHD.

Justin1239297879_3pnormandy.thumb.jpg.cbad20f7c2fcb04ab5cf4c867b3c7ed0.jpg

So I understand not seeing your military green vehicle on the road anymore.

What about the yellow one in the foreground? Yours? :getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• Gold FFM

@ramjet I miss the military green one, I could park anywhere, even if a vehicle was already in the space. I only used shell fuel......

Yellow 3P I sold in about 2005. It was in really fine condition and I still see it at shows from time to time. In around 2002, it needed some paint and a slightly over-enthusiastic Italian bodyshop took all the glass out, treated all rust and painted the car for £600. Those were the days.

Justin

• Haha 1

@Alfa2Evora My dad's first company car - a 2300, supplier new. Rotted out within 12 months :(

The (free I think) replacement 2600 was a much better car. Oodles of velour as far as I remember.

Looks similar, although I don't think it was the VP version - definitely an auto though as he had to drive it to Fulham every day from Purley and didn't fancy the constant changing gears. Don't think he had an auto before or since.

It must have been after 1977 as I never went on holiday in it. I thought it was a fantastic car at the time. Think it still looks great today.

8 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Sounds like Caribbean Blue - a lovely colour they only used for a couple of years strangely? Like this?

No, much lighter, probably the same colour as the image posted by peteyg above.

@rgh0 - we are a broad church :) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of classics in this thread , many spotted at various car meets and events but there’s a lot of of cars that will probably fade into obscurity that were once a relatively common sight on the road.

the ugly Renault multipla, the unique Renault fuego. The Lego-like Citroen BX

dont see many Chrysler crossfires or pt cruisers these days .

I had a Volvo 340 , never seen one for an age and a mate had an FSO polonez, 

my brother in law had a colt galant and indeed anything Datsun that isn’t a z car is very rare

On 11/08/2021 at 21:22, stephenwhyte said:

I remember that car @scotty435…….👍

Was part of the club scene myself for over 10 years. Many a show attended and loved the SD1…..had to be red for me though. 725JYA…..now back on its original reg (with a new owner) C222TMX……also a TP Vitesse😎

3F9C22F4-3221-42AC-B367-933129409C28.jpeg

It’s a great looking car, it deserves to be highly thought of in years to come

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honda Prelude VTEC, bloody great car 4WS, VTEC engine, had it lowered on Honda kit, switched the sunroof for a glass one. Went well and corned amazingly. Wish id kept it, not seen one for years.

20070319_IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_9523.JPG

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"