free hit
counters
Cars you don't really see on the roads any more... - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Cars you don't really see on the roads any more...

• Gold FFM

Slight reliability problems and temperamental but stunning looks. You can't go wrong.

1975-1981-triumph-tr7-2260_7171_969X727.

Reliability will for sure diminish with age and mileage, temperament may well change to that of a rabid dog ( in divorce cases ). Looks - hmmm have you seen her mum ??!

That ol tr7 will do just fine

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ooooo Ooooo  I'm here , Tingles up the spin ,  The good old days , spent twelve years rallying the ex works model , and built more than I could remember..  Did copies of the full light weight Safety d

Here`s a couple of rare 90`s icons that you don't see many of, especially parked together   Audi RS2 and the Lotus Carlton sat at Weston super Mare    

From this To this

Posted Images

Hmmm... and I had oncoming traffic in my lane?

Nice lady. I am sure they are both tempremental. Even more so with age.

Speaking about women in advertising, I find the picture quite sober, interesting and there is still something left to imagination.

Contrary to these days, where you'll see the inside of a gays a.se in a car add.... Strange World. I'd take the nice lady any day ;)

I think we should get back to some of those 1970'ies advertising.

Even the Funny hippie lettering in many adds at the time looked, well, funny ;)

Either I am getting old, (good chance of that), or I have a feeling that at the time of the release of the Lotus Esprit S1, there was something a bit more innocent about the World (in general. Not mentioning the Vietnam war Korean war etc.). Not so many Little children trained by is to cut the throat of prisoners. Maybe.

Back on topic, may I suggest the vw1300 rebuilt to be a Beach buggy. My brother had one, and he had to place a sack of sand in the front, or it would be very difficult to steer at speed ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

post-1034-0-25703000-1437037683.jpg

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Ha ha ha! That is funny! I would be scared of driving it though.

A mechanical anormality.

Well, I had enoug of looking at that, so I'm off to my Esprit ;)

See ya'

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Some of the cars mentioned are sighted quite regularly around where I live in South London/Surrey, especially on weekends. I see lots of classics out and about.

Stags are everywhere, theres a GTAV6 a few streets away and I regularly see corrado's etc.

I was out for a quick drive on Sunday in the Esprit, came up to a boxy saloon of 80's vintage travelling slowly, overtook it only for it to immediately speed up and sit on my bumper. I thought I'm not having this so sped up, got up to 85 with it still there, came to a roundabout so thought I'd shake it. Went round, checked my rear view and a split second later this white 'thing' came round vitrtually on two wheels. This is when I gave up and let them past, checking what it was. It was only a.........

Quattro?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

On an 'exotic matter' twist, I have never seen more MX5s than this last week. Whats going on? 

Far more than last summer.

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Loads of my pals had them when we were teenagers, they loved them!! Was one of the best selling cars in Britain in the eighties! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

My dad bought a Triumph Toledo in the late 70s in a hideous light blue. When he picked us up from school in it we used to wait till no one saw us get in and duck down in the back!

I remember spending a whole day t-cutting it, still looked like a bathtub!

My dad bought a Triumph Toledo in the late 70s in a hideous light blue. When he picked us up from school in it we used to wait till no one saw us get in and duck down in the back!

I remember spending a whole day t-cutting it, still looked like a bathtub!

My Dad had probably the same light blue but a Triumph 2000TC in the early 70's with that fancy overdrive switch on the top of the gearstick for 3rd and 4th, so basically a 6 speed gearbox way ahead of its time.  Huge big flat boot lid.  My now wife, recently reminded friends how I showed off to her (my sisters mate and neighbour at the time 42 years ago) when I drove it on the single track roads up in Ardnamurchan from a cousins farm back to what had been my Granny's house as Dad was too pissed to drive.  5 miles in the dark at midnight.  Sounds fine - apart from the fact I was just coming up for 16 at the time although had been driving up there for about 3........

Ah, the Fuego, I remember driving 4 adults up with 2 weeks holiday luggage to Gatwick from Central Scotland when we hired one in early 80's.  It isn't that we wanted one, just what we were given without choice and it actually in the end wasn't that bad, had plenty space for luggage and we drove through the middle of London Town and saw all the sights in the middle of the night as we had some spare time on our hands when we got down there!

Citroen BX.  I rather sadly looked at a 4x4 Turbo or something I remember.  Can't remember why I didn't buy it.  Maybe because it was pot ugly on reflection but I don't think so.  :huh:

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

This is rapidly turning into (for me) cars that I loved as a boy/yoof in the seventies and early eighties.

Loved the Opel Manta Rallye back then but have not seen one for years. It's still a lovely shape.

As a boy, I thought it really exotic and sporty; I grew up with my dad owning a sequence of 4 or 5 VW Beetles.......

post-17931-0-49920700-1437121781.jpg

We saw a Metro parked on Vanguard chase in Norwich yesterday! I know cause the person I was with went "Ohhh look a Maestro" DOH!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I always remember a fly-on.the-wall Channel 4 documentary series about 15 years ago about people and their cars. There was this lowly Northern sales rep (stationery or fax machine, I think) and he had been lumbered by his employer with a poverty spec. Maestro Clubman Diesel to do his rounds. He absolutely hated it and he always felt embarrassed driving it. He showed how dangerous it felt because it was unable to keep up with HGVs on uphill Motorways, so they'd end up thundering past him.

My first sales rep company car was an equalling appalling boggo white L-reg Vauxhall Astra 1.7D, No turbo, no power steering, no performance, just lots of smoke and pretty much a monthly visit to the dealer due to the laughable 3000 mile service intervals.

I'm sad to say that 20 years on there still seems to be plenty of these about, particularly in that awful dull blue colour that my colleagues had.

This is rapidly turning into (for me) cars that I loved as a boy/yoof in the seventies and early eighties.

Loved the Opel Manta Rallye back then but have not seen one for years. It's still a lovely shape.

As a boy, I thought it really exotic and sporty; I grew up with my dad owning a sequence of 4 or 5 VW Beetles.......

Spotted. I am not getting any commission from these guys, but they seem to have something for each of you (us):

http://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/2388673-opel-manta-1900-s-1974

Citröen Ax, Cx and GSAs are my contribution to the list. Visas and LNAs were never popular any way.

Citröen Ax, Cx and GSAs are my contribution to the list. Visas and LNAs were never popular any way.

I think this will be all that is left of most of these three.

Iron_Oxide_Red_Ferric_Oxide_Red_Pigment_

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Ah, Citroen AX GT.  Kit-Kat build quality, but properly rapid - up to a point.  Held the 1992 record for the sprint between the two speed bumps in front of the Royal Naval Engineering College, Manadon.