free hit
counters
Cars you don't really see on the roads any more... - Page 8 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Cars you don't really see on the roads any more...

14 hours ago, ian29gte said:

Sorry to mention it Dave, but look to me like there's a bubble or two on that dashboard.:sofa:

You may laugh dear chap ..... There was more than a few bubble's on it when I flipped it into a stream in a welsh forest.. ohh happy days..

19 hours ago, Escape said:

A friend of mine has a couple of TR7s in various states. One is now running, another one with 16V dolomite sprint rally motor (brand new shelf blueprinted) still needs rebuilding...

That rally blue print donkey will be one of the Don Moore engines then ,  It should be an issue 17 block with mahle pistons. etc. I did not think any of those were left.  It will be interesting to see which cam was fitted , they used a TY1 and a TY2,  the TY1 was what Tony Pond used as it gave great power , but alas destroyed the engine very quick , more of a sprint cam for circuit which is what the profiles were originally set for.  The twin chain cam pulley should have radial slots for the attachment for cam timing , these will be at 90' to the standard holes. Then it will have two drill and dowel points to fix position one marked 1 the other 2 for the relative  cam... It should also have the 6 vane water pump and cover as apposed to the 12 vane .. this was to stop cavitation at the higher rpm these donkeys ran at.. also the crank was EN40 X drilled...  I did some development work on these engines back in the day ,Quite a rare thing now if genuine article..

On 21/03/2017 at 08:19, ian29gte said:

I always thought it was a shame the 16v Sprint engine never made it into the production TR7's. I think there may be a few around, but the 8V engine just didn't hit the spot. Until the V8, of course. I too, reckon the TR7 market will be picking up, and the prices may well start to rise for decent examples. I do remember the build quality was, well, typical Leyland, though. They were all the same at that time.

As a budding engineer, I was impressed with the technology in the 16V engine. At the age of 17, I was fortunate enough to borrow a Dolomite Sprint with only 2,600 miles on the clock for a weekend. Given my car at the time was an asthmatic old Ford Cortina, it was a revelation, and I think I only climbed out of it to sleep. Later, a friend of mine bought a Sprint with an ex-race engine in it, the thing would rev to 8,500, and went like stink, but broke down about every 50 miles!

The cylinder head on these engines won a design award for engineering initiative.  not a lot of people knew that... It was mainly due to the 16 Valves being run off a single 8 lobe cam.. clever stuff in the day..      

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Weren't Top Gear mocking the Dolly Sprint on a recent show as "70s rubbish"?? Shows what  f  they know about anything.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Yes that was years ago Mark,  iirc it was the episode may had the Austin Princess?  Clarkeson had the Rover SD1 and Hammond had the dolomite sprint , that rolled down the steep incline test as the handbrake did not hold,   It was all about Leyland cars, they even visted the old factory site i think  :)

A

2 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Yes that was years ago Mark,

They (i.e. Rory Reid) also took the mick out of the Dolomite in the last episode. As a precursor to the Mk1 Golf Gti. (TBF, he had a point). ;)

• Like 1

Have been luckily enough to of driven both , both amazing cars in their own right. :)  

A

Carlton,  was an awesome bit of kit, plenty of power but not in your face, engine wise just on tick over you knew something special was under the hood,  engine bay wise fairly simple layout,  the active suspension box in the boot i did not look into that box of tricks,   The car i drove sadly died about a yer later by all accounts finishing in a rather large crash on the autobarns after the owner was seeing what speed it would do :(  

Audi RS2 when it landed was like something from outer space, the acceration was simply mind blowing , the seats had been designed to stop you getting whiplash apparently!  You needed real cash back then to own one of these cars, as the tyres where special order so you had to go steady on the rubber, an amazing bit of kit, the s2 i used to think was quick but this thing was mental, I think it was the fastest production estate car ?  until the volvo took the title.  Also very expensive insurance at the time, the gentleman who owned this car got rid of it in the end as the cars factory fitted anti theft system was also way ahead of its time which sadly meant that people would break in to steal the keys, Which happened to this gentleman, he was a keen collector of cars and a  very wealthy man,  but waking up to a gunman in your bed with your wife beside you and fellow saying give me the audi keys !  Sadly after this incedent he got rid of most of his luxury cars :(

But yes great motors and both a fantastic experiance to drive, even by todays standards they a still very quick !

A

I can agree with you on the acceleration of the RS2, it really does push you into the back of the seat, possibly due to the size of the single turbo which is massive, however this is why it has so much lag too but driven correctly and kept about 2k rpm in each gear then it flies. The RS2 has the quality build that the Carlton really doesn't have, possibly due to the German Audi/Porsche input to the engine, drive train and suspension, not only that it just feel so tight on the drive as the steering is so good and precise, not the same as the Carlton, which is a bit "wooly" in a straight line. The Carlton has lots of boost from low down obviously due to having two relatively smaller turbo`s than the RS2 and these will "spool up" at a much lower rpm that the Audi, with the six speed box in the Carlton when the power comes on it just feels as though the gears go on for ever, its as though the throttle position in linear to the acceleration, the acceleration just keeps going for ever. I also "understand" that when driven hard and fast that even at 130 mph and accelerating in 5th gear its still pushing full boost, apparently.....The old mechanical quattro system on the Audi is really good too and gives lots of confidence coming out of corners or off of a very nice fast roundabout, unlike the Carlton which has to be treated with lots of respect.

Both lovely cars to drive

Used to be an RS2 at the service garage opposite Pilbeam racing in Lincolnshire, it belonged to the garage owner and sat outside for years, not sure if he ever completed it or still has it sat outside,  shame really as they are also a car like th eesprit that do not sitting still for long :(

A

Not seen one of these for a long time

IMG_20190209_150739.thumb.jpg.25f968dfa51ec697b3395b7a054a1e00.jpg

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Earlier this week

y4m-CHjlLuvWELgRC-BrO0KtStOIcknJy4YjQ6GD

• Like 1

ah......the upgraded Princess

:thumbsup:

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

I remember the Austin Allegro Vandem plas,  did they do one with the princess also ?

A

2 hours ago, silverfrost said:

did they do one with the princess also ?

They did, and what an odd looking thing it was.

I had the Daimler double 6 Vanden Plas, without doubt the most comfortable car I've owned, thankfully they left the grill alone. Externally the only difference being chrome bonnet and waistline strips and all the mod cons of the time like wash and wipers for the headlights, the interior was completely upgraded with superb sumptuous leather rather like you'd expect in a Rolls. 

Chopped it in for an xjs in 1994 not realising how rare it was. Dread to think how much it would be worth now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

I had the Daimler double 6 Vanden Plas, without doubt the most comfortable car I've owned, thankfully they left the grill alone. Externally the only difference being chrome bonnet and waistline strips and all the mod cons of the time like wash and wipers for the headlights, the interior was completely upgraded with superb sumptuous leather rather like you'd expect in a Rolls

Certainly the early Vanden Plas XJ's were finished in a separate factory; the engine bay was left black at Browns Lane so the shipped car (with engine installed) could be painted any colour for the discerning customer. VP XJs were quite a whopping premium over the regular cars when new (20% or more). Not now worth a huge amount more than regular XJs; XJs are great value as they are plentiful but goods cars are getting the prices they deserve now.

Series One with deep grille is my favourite.

206144839_XJ6pictureprevowner.jpg.2f58f11b4c75ff11c25ca7f5e4eabcdf.jpg

Very nice but not a Vanden Plas, 

I do fancy another one.

When I was living in Franche in Kidderminster (Adrian Heath will know where that is) not long ago, one house nearby had a Scorpio on its drive, another regularly had a HC Viva parked outside and another, a 1.6L Maestro automatic on the drive.

In Earls Barton, a man uses a Rover 827 fastback as his daily driver.  He's not a classic car enthusiast.  It was a cheap, comfortable car.

I went through a phase of seeing M-reg Vauxhall Astras when I was driving to work a couple of years ago but that seems to have abated now.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

1 hour ago, USAndretti42 said:

In Earls Barton, a man uses a Rover 827 fastback as his daily driver.

So do I, an 827 Vitesse, according to the DVLA website it was one of 27 left, and one of 3 taxed and tested last year.

That makes it rarer than the V8 Esprit, with whom it shares it's doorhandles.

DSC_0584.thumb.JPG.07bb6ff543c8dfea63f414f3ea392124.JPG

• Like 2

And that’s the better looking Mk1 Fastback by the looks of it - that makes it even rarer

One of my favourite RoadTrips was in a Black (white interior) V8 XJ8... W - reg, borrowed from my brother (Company Car), what a thing.. cars that waft and ride so well don’t exist under 100k these days

I’ve never been in an XJ8, but I consider the most comfortable car I’ve ever been in was an XJ6 from the 70’s. Simply astonishing ride quality, worthy of the magic carpet analogy.

Margate Exotics.

About the only car that can match the XJ for ride quality (GS also fab in that regard):

1540101356_DSoutsideJagHse.thumb.JPG.dfeec27176b5f36e8615f426135b0028.JPG