free hit
counters
Lotus Éclat 502 barn find what is it worth? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Éclat 502 barn find what is it worth?

Ok so in my quest for my next Esprit build have come across this Lotus Éclat 502.

It’s not a barn find but a yard find!

Has been stood since the end of 1999! Looks near complete but will need a lot of hard work to bring it back from the grave. The car is local to me and the owner is a nice guy but has no idea of what its worth? Neither do I? I am just posting this up to help save the car if it can be saved? The body does not look too bad but hard to tell with all the dirt, and no doubt the engine is probably seized? So what’s it worth? Anyone want it?

19861238376_55da64c453_c.jpg

19861240966_ac0aba612b_c.jpg

19699467550_288feefb18_c.jpg

19880009782_e9711628f1_c.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to lotus bits yesterday and this car does optimise one of the cars that they break to supply the rest of us bits. Right now for the rant "if this car was an mg with a limited production run

Posted Images

Hi Rob

Truth is - not much.

After 13 years sitting outside it is probably a breaker as the chassis is likely to be crumbling.

Door beams also likely to be toast. It would be a very involved project to fix it up - so if you are thinking of it, I applaud you - but there are no shortage of vehicles out there that would be a better investment for your love and time.

if it was on a galvanised chassis, then it would have a fighting chance (as it would then be no worse than my red car), but from the looks of your helpfull rear diff picture - thats on a mild steel one.

I would say this one would be a good buy for someone restoring an eclat as it has a good interior and will provide lots of handy spares.

Dunc

Thanks Dunc,

Not for me I want another Esprit, I know very little about these cars, I know they have a low value just trying to find it a home.

If it gets broken who wants bits? if people could post a list of parts wanted and prices?

I like the bonnet vent, would look good on my Esprit. how much are they worth?

Rob

The engine and gearbox with carbs could go for up to £500 out of the car, but then you wont be able to give the rest away!

Love the fern growing up from the carpet! :)

Wheels are prob the most expensive things there. Need a refurb but can get that done at £45 a wheel. They are so hard to find.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The door gaps suggest the beams have gone which is a horrible job. If breaking? Wheels are loved by Veedubbers apparently, the chrome is not worth a fortune but always sells, carbs are easily rebuilt......after that it's just bits and bobs for anyone else doing a resto, a light here, some trim there. Not much value in the S1s sadly

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Shame it couldn't have been pushed in to one of the buildings / barns around it :(

That design still looks nice to me, in the same vain as a Bitter SC / Ferrari 400.  And you'd usually see an exotic looking lady in fur coat sitting in the passenger seat.

Shame it couldn't have been pushed in to one of the buildings / barns around it :(

yeah but then he would have had to push out the F40 or the 250 GTO? tough choices.........nah only messing with you

Wheels are prob the most expensive things there. Need a refurb but can get that done at £45 a wheel. They are so hard to find.

Slight threadjack but that's a good price for one wheel refurb, depending on what you're talking about having done.

Ah, that's a shame - hate to see them disappear one by one.

Don't really understand why they are all so low in value - I think they're ageing rather well myself.

Ah, that's a shame - hate to see them disappear one by one.

Don't really understand why they are all so low in value - I think they're ageing rather well myself.

Must agree, its a shame another one which will probably either get broken or change hands time after time on ebay while not getting any better. However must say I'm guilty of sitting on a S1 for 15 years before doing something about it.

some more pics

interior is shot, a million spiders! big fockers as well! and a rat used to live inside long time ago
driver door beam is rusted and will not open only ajar, passenger door is jammed shut
engine is not seized I did manage to turn it just a smidge but could still be shagged with rusty pitted bores?
paint work is rough did clean a small random patch and its grim, grey mould deep into the paint

so its a basket case and no one in their right mind would touch it

kind of makes me want it!

so if no takers? I may try a do a deal to buy it for a future project!

post-17501-0-48717900-1438514538.jpg

post-17501-0-12333300-1438514545.jpg

post-17501-0-37075300-1438514550.jpg

post-17501-0-26759700-1438514556.jpg

Ok have a price from Graham the owner wants £600. (no offers below that)

Too much for me. If any one wants it PM me and I can give you his mobile.

Cars is located in West Moors, Ferndown (Dorset)

I went to lotus bits yesterday and this car does optimise one of the cars that they break to supply the rest of us bits.

Right now for the rant

"if this car was an mg with a limited production run of 2000 cars, a shell would be sought. As it is an eclat a door beam at a couple of hundred quid will be the nail in its coffin"

"I own a 75 eclat she needed a door beam, a chassis, an interior, a respray, chrome, clips, clips, lamps and keep going. doing it myself and out sourcing upholstery and paint i am expecting to spend £6000 on a car worth roughly £6000. In eclat circles that makes me bonkers"

"In the mg world spending £10000 on a £6000 car is seen as the norm"

Its time to save the eclat the Cecil the lion of the classic car world.

• Like 2

cars like this one need to die to keep others on the road.

best place for this one is Lotus bits or David in enfield.

not worth £600 in my opinion. Its rougher than a rough thing and almost everything on it will need redoing.

cars like this one need to die to keep others on the road.

best place for this one is Lotus bits or David in enfield.

not worth £600 in my opinion. Its rougher than a rough thing and almost everything on it will need redoing.

must agree £600 is far more than cars in this condition go for. An MGB of this condition would be about £200 to £300 quid, people see the badge at the front and imediatly think thousands. Viability starts with the person who starts the chain, and this vender must want to sit on an ever degrading car.

Although i agree in principle with duncs point, but at lotus bits yesterday there must have been 15 or 20 eclat and elite door beams and a similar number of excel ones (same door span, different catch). If we keep pulling them bits which cars will we put these spares on?

Owners clubs and collectives of owners influence attitudes to cars and marques and we need to stand behind our cars. As a member of the triumph sports six club I have come across countless owners who have restored rusty heralds at great cost welding metal into both chassis and body, then spending far more than the cars value on finishing it off. We can pick up a galv chassis cheaply and have bodies that don't rot.

Maybe just maybe things will change and attitudes will see these car regarded better, stags turned that corner in peoples perception. Could the Elite and Eclat pull of the greatest redemption since greek heroic tales.

I also think breakers like stevestrange (Douglas Valley) don't help with crap on greedbay for ridiculous high prices that never sell and just get relisted over and over again!

If someone is not sure of the value and see shit at crazy money it just fuels them to also ask laughable prices for their own crap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elite-/221837503884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMESINDXX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Fg1VNeoaPr%252BDY%252BA7qhzv0L%252BHKQc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

that puts things in perspective paying an extra £470 for a much easier restro is money well spent (shame it wasn't closer to home)

probably true...

I've always figured that the badge makes people think they are worth more than they are.

I also think that these cars are worth more in bits than complete, but when somone is selling a heap like the white one, they try and total up the value of the engine, box, carbs etc

If they want to make these prices, they should go to the trouble of breaking them - if they can't be ar$ed, they have to accept that the car is worth buttons.