free hit
counters
Jobs finally begin : no plate plinth, header tank, splitter, dump valve - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Andy Esprit SE

Jobs finally begin : no plate plinth, header tank, splitter, dump valve

I know this is only minor but the first few jobs are on the go, since ive owned my car its had cam belt done at the dealer and servicing done DIY / at a friends garage on a ramp.

Now my garage is done ive alsorts to get on with, managed to get a used rear no plate plinth off an S4S (wanted the lotus badge on the rear).

Noticed alot of rust in the header tanks, decided to buy new from esprit engineering, just painted yesterday in matt black, gonna start getting the boot floor out today.

Other jobs on the list which ive already got the parts for:

BOV valve (recirculating)

Front splitter (standard lip on later SE)

Replace heater control panel (faded)

S4 wheels - need tyres and front ones engineering to take my hubs

Once floors out im gonna check the gear linkage and decide wheather to get the modified linkage ive seen on esprit world (if its still available)

I also plan to sort:

Clutch pipe (still has red one)

Oil breather filter/fit catch tank

I may post some silly questions for info whilst i get to know the nut and bolts on an esprit that most of you already know and take for granted so ill appologise in advance ha ha

post-14973-0-01704600-1437904873.jpg

post-14973-0-77776900-1437904963.jpg

post-14973-0-00530300-1437905019.jpg

post-14973-0-32064300-1437905078.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Regards the clutch hose:

If you replace the clutch fluid every two years, no further action is required.  My '88 still has the OEM red plastic hose.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Mine was pants on hot days...... Could well have been the fluid - as this was obviously bled though when replacing the red hose.

I don't know what fixed it - new pipe or fluid - but it's done.....

Does appear to be a common issue and if you get rid of the plastic at least it's ticked off.......

Only here once

Hi Andy,

New plinth looks the mutts! 

I think the clutch hose is well worth doing.  Just make sure you route it exactly like the red one.  Also, don't do what I did and try and tighten the hose onto the slave cylinder - remove the slave and do it the other way around so you don't twist the hose.  Much easier with a ramp.

The Ebay heater control panels are OK, but don't quite match the originals - my knobs cover some of the legends, if that doesn't sound too risque...

Slave cylinder bolts are known to sheer off.......so just be careful if tempted to do so

Only here once

I noticed absolutely no difference after fitting the braided hose and am not a subscriber to red-hose theory. Lots of manufacturers use the red hose and the rumour keeps following them around. 

You might have to replace it if it's seized in the slave and you need to clip it off to get it outta there with the right amount of force like I did. 

Re-doing the rear gear linkage might be worth the effort, but to be honest, even a corroded setup if adjusted properly can be just great - the parts I removed looked terrible, but worked fine. However it's a cheap and easy update and you get to tinker a bit with the system which increases understanding, and you can probably fine tune it to get a fantastic feel. 

The front end isn't hard either, but your car is low mileage IIRC and those bits don't wear very much. My bushings and parts were like new when I removed them at like 68 000 miles. 

Keep us up to date - am looking forward to the front splitter mod as I'm thinking of doing this too - really annoyed at the splitter catching all those bumps... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Vanya, how warm does it get up there in your part of the world? It needs to be a hot summer's day, in the thirties, before the red hose is soft enough, the problem with the Esprit is the length of the hose which means there's a lot more of it to "balloon", all the other cars that use red plastic hose are front engined.

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

I've driven the car in 30 degrees C in a standstill traffic jam, as well as at speed - never noticed anything up with the clutch. Granted I've not experienced it in say the heat one might get in Texas or so but I'm still a bit skeptical... 

I haven't seen any scientific proof that this happens. Perhaps it'd be fun to buy a red hose and stick it in the oven and measure expansion of both it and the fluid when heated. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Slave cylinder bolts are known to sheer off.......so just be careful if tempted to do so

I'll second that. One of mine had been sheared off by the PO and just left with one bolt! only noticed it when I fitted my braided hose. 

There was a noticeable difference with the new hose on but I also drained and refilled the system and refurbed master and slave cylinders at the same time so its hard to say what made the difference and by how much... The hose is fiddly to thread through the original route but not impossible - I did mine with just the rear up high on axle stands.

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

When I had problems with the clutch not fully disengaging, I started with refurbishing the linkage and then bled the system. Still had problems after some time of spirited driving on a hot day, so I fitted a braided hose. I did as little bleeding as possible, just connected the hose to the master first, and when fluid came dripping out at the back, to the slave (with the bleed nipple open). I hardly needed to top up the fluid and as I was alone I decided to give it a go like that. It turned out fine and never gave me problems again, so in my case the braided hose did make a big difference. I was very glad to see my 'new' one already had one fitted.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Every Esprit I owned had problems with crunching gears, especially reverse, in the hot weather. I assumed it was me not pushing the pedal all the way to the floor until I joined the Yahoo Esprit forum & read about the "red hose syndrome". I changed the hose for a SS braided hose on my S4s & never experienced crunching gears again. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

Hi All,

Just after some advice when comparing my old header tank to the new one.(see photos)

The chargecooler header feed pipe looks a fair bit smaller in diameter, should i be worried about flow?

The cooling system feed pipe has welds inside that will restrict it compared to the old one, should i file these out?

Part of the reason im not a mechanic these days is due to over thinking things but id rather do it right than twice.

post-14973-0-32703600-1441563124.jpg

post-14973-0-57214200-1441563178.jpg

The chargecooler tank is only an expansion tank, there is minimal flow through it apart from when filling the system with coolant.

Andy nice work! I hope to have time during nexts weeks to do some jobs on car...

I'l definetly have to change clucth red hose with a steel one beacuse my clutch change completely when car gets hot...

I have a question. Why did you change header tank instead cleaning it?

Cheers Marco

I had my steel tank cleaned and painted inside and out, but it didn't seem to last very long (on the inside). I recently fitted an alloy tank, but I'm starting to wonder if the old steel tanks acted as some kind of "sacrificial anode".... Without the steel tank will the rust just move elsewhere where I can't see it? (e.g. Radiator)

Thanks for the comments, Marco. The rust inside was in the airgap on both tanks, fortunatwly the coolant was clean and tank was fine in the water.

The rust on the outside could have been cleaned up, im sure a little leak was getting through the grommets too so long term i just opted for a new tank.

Im going to file out the main tank pipe and leave the charge cooler one

I had my steel tank cleaned and painted inside and out, but it didn't seem to last very long (on the inside). I recently fitted an alloy tank, but I'm starting to wonder if the old steel tanks acted as some kind of "sacrificial anode".... Without the steel tank will the rust just move elsewhere where I can't see it? (e.g. Radiator)

How long did you get out of the old tank once refurbed? Ill add a comment showing what ive had to do for now.

Andy nice work! I hope to have time during nexts weeks to do some jobs on car...

I'l definetly have to change clucth red hose with a steel one beacuse my clutch change completely when car gets hot...

I have a question. Why did you change header tank instead cleaning it?

Cheers Marco

hi Marco,

Sadly the new tank dudnt fit after all, greatfully refunded though so im happy. 

I filed out the welds on the main tank for the main out let but noticed the other outlet pipes were sticking out the wrong way and fouled the rear bulkhead (seephoto)

20150919_102234.jpg

Edited by Andy Esprit SE

I had the old tank dipped at a local car restoration place for £20 (saved risking chemicals at home) it came out looking good but very pitted and the sensor grommets slide in too esily for my liking.

Painted up and re fitted my cars back to normal (although ordered new pressure caps after throwing the old ones thinking i wouldnt need them again)

Ive bought a single plastic tank from and S4 as plan B wjth plan C long term being to order a new one whem im certain it will fit.

Is the S4 conversion worth a look now ive got the tank?

2015-10-04 21.27.59.jpg

2015-10-04 21.29.07.jpg

A plastic tank like in the S4 is lighter and should last the lifetime of the car, but I'd still prefer the old system with the twin tanks. Having both cooling systems completely separated just seems nicer, although I'm sure in reality there really isn't much difference and the risk of the main coolant draining through a possible leak in the chargecooler circuit is very small.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

i am using a custom single tank of my design that works fine.  cost was $250 from local tank fabricator. omitted is the CC air bleed line fitting which i would reinstate if doing again.  yes, the CC is cool on this single tank system.  however, the flat aluminum wall radiates considerable heat onto the relay box wall, which required some insulation to be installed.

header tank assy 9 tri drawing.PDF

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

How long did you get out of the old tank once refurbed?

In my case, only 2~3 years. Having said that, this was some time ago. Technology may have improved in the last 10 years :)

For me, a twin tank option is preferable, purely because there are so many additional points where the charge cooler system could leak, and depressurise/empty the engine coolant system. But I would also like to see a level alarm on such a separate CC system as well as the engine coolant system. So far, with the correct header tank cap, my expansion tank is doing exactly what it is supposed to though, and the systems are full of coolant.

Margate Exotics.