free hit
counters
LF1 to Cayman GT4 - Page 3 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

LF1 to Cayman GT4

TheDeadPrussian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So what elements make this a GT4 apart from the badge on the boot that says so?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

So what elements make this a GT4 apart from the badge on the boot that says so?

Have you been living under a rock? It's not a special edition with a bit of weight removed and/or a special paint job and slightly uprated suspension, it's the whole shooting match, GT3 front end suspension, different engine and more power, it's the dogs!

Edit: Oh and it has a GT4 badge on the back and air intakes ;)

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

Tom that post feels about 2 pages too late!

Weighing only a claimed 5kg lighter than a Cayman GTS I think it would have been better if it was a 'special edition with a bit of weight removed'!

I think 'the whole shooting match' would weigh 1200kg, have double wishbones all-round and wouldn't have a detuned engine! ;)

I've been on holiday!

I was actually being a bit sarcy, as I think what they have done *is* something Lotus should do and we all know it deep down.

Don't take this personally (and consider we are picking up our Cup Elise in the morning, which we just sold our Boxster S to buy), but when you compare the GT4 to the GTS, it is 10k more (base price, same as Lotus x to Lotus Cup), it has more power, trick suspension and everything else. Should this not be what Lotus are doing with the cup cars - i.e. the Power. How often do you see a cup related thread where that does not come up, it's clearly what customers want?

Regardless of the V6 vs GT4 argument, never going to get anywhere with that. Both great cars, horses for courses and all that!

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

I agree about more power for the Cup cars. Fortunately so do Lotus. The plan is to go back to giving the Cup cars a bit more power and the wait will be much shorter than the one Cayman fans have had to endure for the GT4!

:thumbup:

kind of just pisses me off a bit and it feels that a higher percentage of the Lotus people are actually genuinely interested in their cars, what they get for their money, and how they drive and behave than what most Porsche people are these days.

As a long term Porsche fan and driver, I can tell you, that the real enthusiasts are pissed of as well about such behaviors.

But it's obvious, because the standard 911 is a daily driver, the Lotus (Exige) not.

If we like to compare enthusiasts, we need to compare maybe driver of Porsche GTx cars and Lotus fans. This comparison fits very well, because those Porsche DRIVERS bought their cars exactly for that reason - to drive skilled and fast. Those are fans, know more than other Porsche drivers about their cars and here you have a group in a group.

A standard Porsche event is the most boring event you could join. It's more important how you're dressed up ;) than to know about your car.

Against the communication and feedback from the V6 Exige, my concern would be whether the Cayman GT4 would

have to be driven so hard to achieve the level of information provided by the Exige at sane real world UK

road speeds as to make the GT4 similarly interesting only on a track.

That was the problem I found with "only" a high spec 981 Cayman S (effectively to GTS spec with a couple of tweaks - purchased before the GTS was announced) - I appreciate that the GT4 has the front suspension lifted from the 911 GT3 and a bespoke new rear suspension so it may give a whole new level of detail at real world road speeds but before parting with my circa £72,000, once a reasonable spec has been chosen, I would want

to know the answer to the above question.

What stops me from even considering a GT4 at this point when there are not any to test drive (apart from not having been "invited" to purchase one!) is that the EVO road reports, as distinct from track, that I've

read of the more performance orientated 911s is that they have to be driven hard, even by EVO standards,

to develop real feel and communication so, will the GT4 fall into the same category?

Elise S sold February 2018.  GT410 Sport on order

^^ One thing that does bug me is the absurdness of the gearing for road use. Circa 75mph in second and if I recall correctly, 110mph in third. I'd still love to experience one, however.

• 3 months later...

It's arrived.

First impressions from yesterday; after only 60 miles and a few hours into ownership: 
It's a little too early to really open it up so I'm staying below 4,500 rpm for now, but it feels solid and quick. The steering is better than I thought it might be...The interior is great and the 918 seats are excellent, much better than the folding buckets I had in the GT3 RS. I'm glad I went with little things like the yellow seatbelts, steering wheel marker and stitching to match the PCCB callipers. I know it will be a great car once I've run it in after a while and the engine sounds really good as well - not Mezger good, but still really good!

Some pictures:

GT4-1.jpg

GT4-2.jpg

GT4-3.jpg

GT4-4.jpg

GT4-5.jpg

GT4-6.jpg

GT4-7.jpg

GT4-8.jpg

GT4-9.jpg

GT4-10.jpg

GT4-11.jpg

GT4-12.jpg

GT4-13.jpg

Nice details and a lovely looking car , can definitely see the attraction for something that does track work and scoot down to the SOF . 

Keep us up to date with how you get on with it and I'm sure you won't mind a bit of light hearted ribbing on here:)

d8361e86f9a39b89e31c2db0484b4a2e_zpszrzn

get used to this view ya loser ??

• Like 1

Black n gold

On 06/12/2015, 11:46:20, TheDeadPrussian said:

GT4-13.jpg

I'm not really a fan of the Cayman styling, but even I'll admit it doesn't look too bad in this picture :)

Joking aside, I'm sure it will be epic. I'd love to to drive one if only to see what all the fuss is about.

• Like 2

If you are going to use the GT4 on track you will need the front anti roll bar set on full soft, the rear on full hard. Again subject to use, ideally you need about 2deg of front camber and 1deg 45 min rear, this dramatically helps with track tyre wear and doesn't ruin the car on the road. Hope you enjoy it, and thank you to the Forums for allowing such chatter .

• Like 1

Not sure Tim's driven an Exige V6 yet but I'm sure he'll be glad to share his views.

Question: Can you have Sport mode without the downshift autoblipper?

11 hours ago, The Pits said:

Question: Can you have Sport mode without the downshift autoblipper?

I don't think so. The Sport button activates auto-blip on downshift and the third radiator (for additional oil cooling) I believe.

17 hours ago, DK7 said:

@Tim Raven

hi, you can give a driving report Exige v6 vs. gt4:-)

I will do once I'm a little further into ownership - too early to compare at the moment as the GT4 isn't yet run in.

The only thing I can say is that the electric steering on the GT4 is better than I had expected - still not as communicative as the LF1 of course, but very little else is, it's a true highlight of the car and an absolute joy - but better than I had hoped for and been led to believe it might be.

Edited by TheDeadPrussian
Update on what I do feel I can comment on...

Completely bloody ridiculous as far as I can see, you can't, so I never use Sport mode at all, must be a German thing, the i8 rides OK, but if you want maximum performance, or more likely maximum battery pack recharge, you have to switch to Sport Mode, and then you get bone shacker damper settings by default, deeply annoying !

Edited by Tim Raven
spelling ...again !