Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 Reviews & Videos - Page 11 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 Reviews & Videos

DaveC72

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 2 weeks later...

Car and Driver (C/D) published a review on the Evora on the 19th.  Probably the least favorable review I've seen to date.  IMHO, hardly an unbiased review.  The review spoke of the financial troubles that Lotus has had, but failed to mention that Lotus will be profitable for the first time this fiscal year.  The article also asserts that the Evora could not be a 911 competitor because its rear seats are not as useful as the 911's seats.  So they compare it to the Cayman, of course and find the Evora to be too expensive.  At least C/D won't have to worry about Porsche cancelling their advertising with the mag!

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

That's a really strange article - they really like the car up until the second to last paragraph when they suddenly go off on a tangent. They say they won't compare it with a 911 but they will compare it with an Alfa 4C? Erm....

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I read the article a couple of times, and with each read, it made less sense.   I'm sure the press has been told time and again that the Evora is aimed as an alternative to the 911.  And if the press compared the Evora to the 911 and found it wanting, I could understand that.  What I cannot understand is their refusal to compare the Evora to the 911 and then making all sorts of silly comparisons.    The 4C comparison is just bizarre.  

5 minutes ago, Ccd said:

The 4C comparison is just bizarre.  

Do you thin they're coerced to say as such?  Porsche has a lot of pull/power...  It is not competing against the 4C.

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

• Gold FFM
16 minutes ago, Ccd said:

I read the article a couple of times, and with each read, it made less sense.   I'm sure the press has been told time and again that the Evora is aimed as an alternative to the 911.  And if the press compared the Evora to the 911 and found it wanting, I could understand that.  What I cannot understand is their refusal to compare the Evora to the 911 and then making all sorts of silly comparisons.    The 4C comparison is just bizarre.  

See, I would LOVE to know by what measure they've decided the 400's rear seats are "less useful" than the 911s. 911 back seats are not really intended for adults... plus I'd like to see you get a set of golf clubs in a 911's boot or "trunk".

James Martin (JayEmm)

Can't speak for 400, but my Evora's back seats are way more useful than the 991's.  Try putting a couple cases of wine or medium size dog in the back of a 991...

If the car is not from the UK or Italy; it's not worth talking about.

48 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

That's a really strange article - they really like the car up until the second to last paragraph when they suddenly go off on a tangent. They say they won't compare it with a 911 but they will compare it with an Alfa 4C? Erm....

James, last week I saw an article on the Evora by that imbecile in the Telegraph motoring section, can't recall his surname, first name Andrew. 

The three cars he compared as alternatives were beyond belief, but two of them were the Westfield 7 and the four pot Morgan. I think the third one was the Ariel Atom. All three of them were actually pictured as alternatives! Where do they find these morons?

Decent review from the Canadians, only one reference to another car and that was the 4c chassis... Which didn't really make sense as whilst they said it was lighter, they also said it was smaller...

like saying a Yorkshire terrier is lighter than a Labrador. Well yes, ones a lap dog and one isn't, so what's the point in the comparison?

4c is closer to an Elise than an Evora.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Another positive review... yeah, the 4C comparison is odd to bring up. They should perhaps mention the 4C gained 10x as much weight as the 400 did in the conversion from EU to USA spec.

Maybe they're just desperate to pick a "lightweight sports car" and they don't have the Elise or Exige over there for comparison.

James Martin (JayEmm)

That sounds to me like a text2speech synthesiser rather than a narrator.

• Like 1

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• 3 weeks later...

Road & Track was assembled 10 sports cars to compete for their 2017 PCOTY (Performance Car Of The Year).  The Evora is one of the cars they will be testing this week.  Interesting facts that they noted.  The Evora is:

1) the least expensive car in the group

2) has the least amount of horsepower

3) least amount of torque

4) the lightest car in the group

5) has the slowest 0-60 time; and

6) is the only car with a manual transmission

You can probably guess most of the competitors: Porsche Turbo S, Acura NSX, Audi R8 V10 Plus, Nissan GT-R Nismo, Corvete Grand Sport, McLaren 570S, Mercedes AMG C63 S, Jaguar F-Type SVR, and BMW M4 GTS.  

• Gold FFM

The weight difference between it and some of those other cars is staggering - probably 400kg in some cases, or not far off.

I expect the Evora will do extremely well in the more subjective elements of the test, if they go for that kind of thing

James Martin (JayEmm)

The Merc is the heaviest car in the test at 4,096 pounds.  That is 943 more pounds than the Lotus in US spec.  All the other contenders were under 4,000 pounds.  The Evora is around 35 pounds lighter than the next lightest car, which is the McLaren.  Incidentally, the McLaren is the most expensive car in the group at almost $220,000.

• Gold FFM

Honestly, I don't know quite why, but from pictures I really don't like the look of the McLaren 570... I quite like the 650, the 675 is too "try-hard" for me (looks very OTT in the flesh) and the 12C is actually really growing on me in the looks department.

Evora still a stunning looking car though, in both S1 and 400 guises

James Martin (JayEmm)

Kelly Blue Book (KBB) just posted its first look video on its website.  The written introduction to the video is interesting.  Did you know that the 400 is a 2 seater and that its primary rival is the Alpha 4C???

The video itself is much more accurate and generally complimentary.

People just don't want to see the Evora as a legitimate 911 competitor

And I bet that's because Porsche told them so as they're shit scared that the world will realise that those magnificent men in their driving machines from a shed in Narfulk have made a far superior car to the Herr Dokters in their spivvy offices in Stuttart or wherever!

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Silly question, but has any proof of Porsche coercing motoring journalists or magazine editors ever materialised? In this age of WikiLeaks and similar, I'd have expected something to surface... 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8