Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 Reviews & Videos - Page 12 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 Reviews & Videos

DaveC72

Given the annual marketing spend of the VAG empire and the number of press junkets at their disposal through the average year I'm sure there wouldn't need to be anything so crass as actual coercion... Everyone knows where their bread's buttered. Until Lotus is part of a major group with an actual marketing budget and leverage rather than being owned by the one car maker with probably a lower profile than Lotus itself that's the way it's going to be.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

^^ This. It's probably a bit like Michelin star restaurants. How much of the rating is about what the food tasted like, how much is it about the ambiance, the service, the flashy decor, the foreign names for all the dishes etc...

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I'm guessing that Audi wasn't stock. The Merc is powerful and likely "au naturelle" but a Panamera?!?!!? That's one heavy car! Can a stock Panamera outperform the 400?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

A ttrs or rs3 would give an Evora a bloody nose in a drag race. But what a pointless exercise for the Evora 'owner'.  In fact there are a number of hot hatches that'll beat it in a drag race, but that's not the point of the car. However to many that's of primary importance. The Pan looks like a non turbo....a turbo would leave the Evora well behind.

Black n gold

• Gold FFM

@Stubox I took mine to the event I did mostly because I was curious what the top speed performance would be like.

There was a guy with a TTRS and it would have obliterated the Evora. Sure it's not the point of the Evora but it's nice to know what she will do

James Martin (JayEmm)

Very unlikely that anyone attending a speed event is running a stock TT RS.  They are simply too easy and cheap to upgrade.  A simple $1200 software upgrade, nothing more, will take the car up to 400 hp/400 lb ft of torque and this car only weighs 150 lb more than the Evora 400.  Stage 2 upgrade only requires a bigger inter-cooler and exhaust.  There is a kit which runs around $6500-$7500 which takes the car up to 540 hp/500 lb ft of torque.  

The TT RS can be made much more potent, but you still feel all the weight in the front as you take a corner and the steering feel simply is not that great. Great car for what it is, but not an Evora. I doubt anyone buys an Evora for the drag strip.

Edited by Ccd
Referred to wrong car

One reason for buying the s was the tunability. The Evora may not be about sprints but once you get used to the power it's nice to know you can add more! Pretty sure I'll do the 410 bump on mine at some stage. Then I will keep pace with the new boys and maintain all the things I love about the car. 

• Gold FFM

@CCD I didn't actually ask the guy whether it was stock, if it was tuned it wasn't a mad job. The Evora was only mildly faster than a Golf R Estate, but in practice reaching 172mph in a mile and a half is plenty fast enough I would say.

James Martin (JayEmm)

At the end of the day, the person with the last laugh is always the owner of the 1989 VW Golf running 2500 hp with a parachute in the back to slow it down once its up to speed. One simply can't keep up with tuners. 

That said it's scary the kind of sprint numbers regular mass produced cars are doing nowadays. Supposedly a Cayenne Turbo S does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and a Panamera Turbo in 3.3 seconds...  

Actually, one interesting question is the tunability of the Evora 400.  All the major OEMs are making it harder and harder to tune their cars.  Wonder if Lotus is doing the same.

• Gold FFM

Lotus can't afford the complex stuff other people do I expect.

There was a woman there with a Mercedes GL63, with her son in the passenger seat. She embarrassed a few people.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I particularly liked that review for the way they acknowledge the Lotus is an "alternative" to Porsche, rather than an outright competitor. Much better than the usual journo "oh look it's more expensive than a Cayman it must be rubbish"

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM
58 minutes ago, Ccd said:

They still said that the Carrera S crushes the Evora and fail to mention that a Carrera S, similarly equipped, would run $30,000-$40,000 more than the Evora

I only half agree with them. Objectively it'll knacker the Evora. Subjectively, very different matter...

James Martin (JayEmm)

I'll give it to Porsche in the "fit and finish" department, but for performance, they look pretty much identical.  JayEmm, have a suggestion for your next video.  Why don't you discuss the rear view visibility of the 400???  No reviewer has really talked aobut how much of an issue it really is.  For example, in heavy traffic, is it hard to see before changing lanes???

On 10/16/2016 at 00:50, Ccd said:

They still said that the Carrera S crushes the Evora and fail to mention that a Carrera S, similarly equipped, would run $30,000-$40,000 more than the Evora

Hey, at least they didn't compare it to a Cayman, right?

I particularly like the comments below calling the Evora a dead 3 legged horse, claiming how superior the Porsche is. Only a genuine new-money wanker would log in to write something like that...which, incidentally, seems to be the market Porsche caters to?

@Ccd I'll leave it to Jayemm for the proper reviews, but thought I'd mention that I have absolutely no issue with rear visibility in the 400. There's just enough of a view through the rear hatch that you're aware of what's behind and the wing mirrors are actually pretty big and offer a good view. So much so in fact that I was frustrated changing back to my 3-er over the weekend. You have the added benefit of seeing the air intakes and swollen hunches :thumbsup:

IMAG0610.jpg

• Like 2

Vanya:

1) True, not comparing the Evora to the Cayman IS progress!  lol!  At least they got the Porsche competition right

2) I love how people who probably never drove an Evora are so quick to proclaim Porsche superiority

Pickle:

Good to know because several reviewer have noted the rear visibility as being poor to very poor.  The experience I've had with my car is that the blind spots in the rear are not such a big deal because, sitting so low, it's hard for anything to hide in the blind spots.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Porsche comparisons or not, I get the feeling that the Evora 400 is a stronger sales success already than the S1 was in the same time period.

I would suggest that, if true, speaks volumes for the "real world" experiences of people, rather than some hackneyed journalists opinion?

In the USA, it is probably too early to tell.  As far as I have read, at most, 250 Evora 400s have been shipped to the USA.  There are a few advertised on websites like AutoTrader or CarGurus and all of them appear to automatics.  Most dealers appear to be taking orders for the car, but don't have a demo to test drive.