Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 Reviews & Videos - Page 15 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 Reviews & Videos

DaveC72

What I don't get about Evo just now is why three weeks on there's no mention of the 410 on their website? Was it Evo that crashed the demo at the launch?

Car Magazine were annoyingly inconsistent with the 400 reviews. One month they were praising it in a comparison with the Vantage GT12 in a blast across Wales, praising the bespoke sound of the engine. The next month they knocked it out of their sports car of the year test for having a boring humdrum engine noise...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It's probably all down to the current lazy trend in UK journalism, opinions written with the sole intent to be provocative.

This is what happens when all motoring journalists (if you can call them that) try to imitate Clarkson

• Like 2

Damn handsome car that Sport 410.

So much so, I think it deserves it's own thread.

Will look into that a bit later on.

:thumbup:

• 7 months later...

At the website,thetruthaboutcars.com, there was a rental review of a 2014 Porsche 911.  The interesting point, as far as it relates to Lotus is at the end of the review.  Was he happy with the price he paid for the rental? Yes.  Would he buy the car? No.  For what it would cost to own the car, the author would prefer a Vette or Mustang or even stretch the budget for an Evora 400.

Salomondrin and his entourage drive an Evora 400, as usual the title is misleading because clickbait. 

And they are impressed. Full Salomondrinish test drive to follow

Edited by NedaSay

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I just saw a 6 months ownership review on the YouTube channel, Daily Driven Lotus.  Bottom line: he still loves the car, but you have to be willing to put up with a few"niggles" (primarily rattles)

Watched that this morning... I want my 8 minutes back.

Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of the 400 to the extent that I chose to put my hard earned towards one, but that just sounds like a paid advertisement.

And with misinformation as well... six speed sequential? Nope.  Track weapon not for the street? Does he think he's talking about an Exige? Wing that moves? I mean, yeah the boot-lid moves, but I don't think that's what he meant. Feel like McLaren buttons? I mean, they're fine, but not sure about that either...

I thought he'd be better informed too. All the references to it being a tiny car, agree with Mister Tad, he must have confused it with an Exige.

Nevermind, could have been a lot worse! Seems to be building a decent reputation over in the States.

• Gold FFM

I will defend his comment about it being tiny. He's in the USA. Over there, an Aventador looks "normal" and a Huracan also looks "tiny". Over here, an Aventador is enormous.

• Haha 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I was about to say something similar regarding relative size in the US. 

At least he paints the Toyota engine in a positive light and the more exposure the better at the moment.

that piece was full of erroneous info and too often wide of the mark news sadly. But in terms of getting one car hyped he did a fine job. As for the size comment yes, by North American standards the Evora is small, by texan standard i think it qualifies as tiny.

Don 't forget there are Americans watching this forum! Americans who are prepared to squeeze into undersized British cars and squeal with joy while covering vast expanses and "YOUGE" distances.   That's not to say that Americans don't gravitate to big cars.  Embarrassing, but true. 

In a nutshell, the superficial fluff based on self appointed experts is always going to create clutter.    One learns to pick the wheat from the chaff and there's a bit of both on You Tube and in the referenced vid but overall, he seemed very enthusiastic as I would expect of anybody who loves cars and just drove an Evora  for the first time.   

I thought the tone and enthusiasm here were positive but agree it's annoying to see the car being described as a track weapon when  owners know the 400 is perhaps best enjoyed as the cocooned scalpel of over the road machines.  It lives to make driving on public roads a joy and an event and at that it is as good as it gets.  I think it suggests he may not have driven it enough. 

Edited by Loquacious Lew
  • Like 2

'17 Evora 400 MT 

• 1 month later...

Enthusiastic guy. Just some observations:

No mention of the words "Toyota Camry" or even "Porsche",  I think!

"7" speed Auto.

He was close to red-lining it on quite a few occasions, but the car had covered only 54 miles when he set off from the car-park.

7.5/10 from me.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 27/04/2018 at 16:05, pete said:

I think this article hit the nail on the head.  My father (1925 to 2017) was of the generation that drove their sports cars to the track, raced and drove them home.  This was the time when Colin Chapman was earning his reputation as a car builder.  My dad owned a Mark 11, into which he put a coventry climax engine and raced it all over NY and New England.  The question becomes, is there a market for this type of "road & track" sports car in 2018?  I hope the answer is yes.

• Like 1

There is still in the UK but I think less so in mainland Europe.  How long the many tracks in the UK can keep operating is also becoming doubtful as more and more have housing built near to them. I think the development more towards an old fashioned GT road car is a good move. Mainland Europe and America still have some long distances and good scenic routes to enjoy road trips.