free hit
counters
Evora 400 Reviews & Videos - Page 14 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora 400 Reviews & Videos

DaveC72

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

€177k in Finland! :shock:

Why even bother having a dealer there? Nearly €100k less in Germany I think I would be buying mine there!

13 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

I'm reasonably sure they have some laws in place preventing that from happening

Bringing in an old car from another EU country

What is an ‘old’ car?

An ‘old’ car is any car that:
  • had first been put into use more than six months previously, and
  • had travelled more than 6000 kilometers

when you bought it

! This means that the car can still be considered new even if you bought it second hand.

What happens when I bring an old car back from another EU country? 
When you bring your old car back to your EU country, you will not have to pay VAT on it.

• You will, however, have to re-register the car in your home country and could be obliged to pay any associated registration or road taxes.
  • Consult your own country’s tax authorities to find out the rules in detail.

• Gold FFM
15 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

I'm reasonably sure they have some laws in place preventing that from happening

As Finland is a member of the EU common market there should surely be no law to stop the free movement of goods?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Cars are a funny thing though - it's not like I'm selling them a laptop.

In Germany, for example, if you have a car there for longer than six months it MUST be LHD.

As the above quoted piece states, you won't have to pay any VAT, but it's not the VAT which is the killer in the Nordic countries, it's the tax on the vehicle itself. I expect when you register it there, you have to pay a relevant duty. And you can't have it there for longer than x period of time without registering it

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

Not much of a common market is it, glad we're leaving it tbh.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
2 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Not much of a common market is it, glad we're leaving it tbh.

I did find an article where the EU were trying to stop member countries from levying taxes like this, or at least allowing people to run foreign-registered cars easier.

The Nordic states were crying bloody murder because as you can expect, it would deprive them of a lot of cash.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm heading out to the states twice next year, if I can find the time I might stop by a couple of Lotus dealers and ask how they're really getting on. Will be interesting to know

James Martin (JayEmm)

Oh @Jacques can tell us all about these fascistic taxes and whatnot on cars. Ask him what would happen if he went and bought anything newer than a Turbo SE how much it would have cost him?

The Nordics in particular, they can squeeze water out of a rock if it means getting taxes in return.

Here in Sweden, I just read an article that the government is in a state of panic; the shift to electric motoring will deprive the government of taxes from fossil fuels. The deputy prime minister (green party...sigh) has suggested imposing new "environmental taxes" to shore up the lost income.... so, make up new fines when technology adapts itself to environmental challenges. Masochism is the order of the day. 

Might be cheaper buying a Trans-Am shell, putting it over an Evora 400, registering it with an entirely corrupt idiot, then discarding said shell. :D 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

12 hours ago, JayEmm said:

In Germany, for example, if you have a car there for longer than six months it MUST be LHD.

To register a RHD car in Germany, you just need to change the headlights for right-hand traffic. Lots of Elises and VX220 running here that were imported from GB.

180 percent on everything used to be the law for many years. Nothing the ec could do. Nothing they can do today. In short, they are useless.

Last year though, a compromise was made, so that small fuelefficient cars like the UP and the C1 etc, have 105 percent tax, and bigger cars have 160 percent...

Not much of a help really, if you want a sportscar.

The second hand car market was changed from 105 percent tax, (and up if newer car), to that PLUS a special tax on "interesting cars". Fortunately, Lotus is by and large a completely uninteresting car in the eyes of the politicians as well as in the eyes of the public, so I got my Esprit taxed right before big Price jumps. That is to say: they are on the rise.

If your car is more than 35 years old, and you agree in not driving many miles, say under 3000 miles per year, and mostly only to car shows etc. and car is 100% original (don't tell anyone on the net what you did), then you may have it for a measely 2000-10000 dkr reg. But in reality, you have to have other cars registered, nearly never drive etc. It's for the Ford A type of cars. Or a 7'  ;)  Moreover, the roadtax on a car like those in the road and track article, is heavy. It's a combination of weight and fuelefficiency. A small Up can be as low as 55 Pounds every six month, but the Evora may be around 250-300 and up, every six month.

If you deviate, the Laws are made, so that you will have to pay 160 percent tax, plus 100 percent in a fine. Auch. That DID happen to someone with German and Swedish reg. plates.

The polution in not relevant here, because the car makers bribed the legislators to change the a-g scale into being a mix of weight ot fuel consumption. So a light car with lots of horses, get a more expensive roadtax (paid every ½ year), that say a superheavy car with same power.

Saying all that, my children won't have to supper immessurable debt taking an education, because we pay tax. And while I don't agree with those in power in the government, nor their opponents, a fairly large bit of my taxes paid every year, supports foreigners coming to my country, demanding a deww apportment, social support, free education, free hospitals, the lot.

Finally, te Insurance is somewhat out of proportion compared to say you Brits.

My Esprit is a 1990 Turbo SE, and if I were 20 y.o. and had a small C1 from 18-20, I'd get a discount. I would then pay 4500 gbp per year, IF they would accept me at all.

When I called around and got quotes of Insurance for my Esprit, I was 45 y.o. at the time, have never ever had a claim on any Insurance at all. Never. And I offered double gating, video and alarm Company, car demobiliser, steering Lock, discreete covering of car, car out of sight on private propperty, car in a friendlier neighbourhood etc.  I have another car and a motorcycle, plus all the usual Insurances etc. Worst price was no, next price was 6500 gbp, next 3200 gbp and next was 2500 gbp per year. I finally negociated a good Price on mine with 5 months off the road per year, so all is good now. More or less.

Imagine a nice Aston or a Ferrari, for a 30 y.o. with no claims so far... Auch. Plus all the demands to keep the car "safe". That is, safe in the view of the Insurance Company. Mpt driving. Double gated. Tracker. Alarm's. Alarm and video surveilance on propperty. Very limited milage per year etc. Not much fun really.

Next up from the fa.... legislators is pay per mile, plus, pay per passage in and out of town, plus illegal driving days, plus banning of anything over a C1 or Up, plus banning of diesel cars. Now, while I understand that not all people on Earth can polute with an AMG every day going 3 miles to get a cup of coffee, and most commuter cars could be Earth friendly plus just take the bicycle, public transport, better urban planning etc. it doesn't make sense. All of these taxes etc. ar not made for having a Green Earth, but for sucking blood out of us, the inhabitants.

Finally, if only my average wage was 10 times higher that the Swedish or the US one, it would somehow make sense. But unfortunately, it's not. In general, it's a Little bit higher. But taxes are... exorbitant. So are recently made extra "special" taxes on nearly everything, such as "Waste" tax, "delivert" tax etc. You get the Picture. I hope this gave a short insight to how taxes etc. are around my Waters.

Evora 400? 2.000.050 dkr etc. Roughly 231.000,- gbp. on Danish reg. plates. Plus upgrades.

These are old prices. More expensive today on 2016-2017.

LaFerrari? 43.000.000 dkr. Roughly 4.624.000,- gbp on Danish reg. plates.

Lesson of it all? Go drive it NOW, because you may not be able in 10 years time.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

50 minutes ago, Jacques said:

The polution in not relevant

This is exactly right here too. They offer zero road tax currently to electric vehicles as they say they don't pollute, but with a house in the UK heating it with electricity is seen as the least efficient and most polluting. Clearly they can't both be right.

I take my evora to Denmark at least once a year. I see it as a duty to show the car there and it's always been well-received. The taxes and prices in the UK are now only really better than Denmark with respect to cars, and houses are much better value in Denmark with mortgages being very competitive - I believe that this was a benefit resulting from the British bombardment of Copenhagen in the Napoleonic wars...  

Denmark has nice roads and petrol-heads deprived of much in the way of proper sports cars - you will see the odd Porsche though. We've had lots of thumbs-ups and so on, but last Summer we drove round a corner in a small town/village and a little lad on his bike spotted the car - jaw dropped completely. My eldest daughter riding shotgun and I burst out laughing with the rear passengers wondering what had happened. My daughter commented that the reaction was priceless - not the reason I bought the car, but worth the cost. It was like several reactions but amplified 100% - we discussed heading back so he could see the car better, but had somewhere to go so didn't and I still regret that he only really got a brief glimpse. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Glad they like it, a bit awkward a large part of the review talks about a piece of information they've been given which is quite wrong...

James Martin (JayEmm)

Perhaps they were describing the steering as 'electric', rather than actually electric. A poor choice of word when describing a cars steering though.

That said, not sure I've heard of the car being 406bhp before either, it's 400bhp or 406ps, these things are easy to clarify.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Presumably the bhp/PS distinction got lost in translation. It doesn't really help that Lotus flit between the two depending on which number seems "nicest"

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Here's why I don't get EVO... They say the Evora 400/410 is "A step in the right direction"... but clearly not good enough for five stars, when the predecessor won COTY? Hmm....

James Martin (JayEmm)

7 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Here's why I don't get EVO... They say the Evora 400/410 is "A step in the right direction"... but clearly not good enough for five stars, when the predecessor won COTY? Hmm....

Well to be fair the original Evora was a breath of life into a company that hadn't put out a "new" car since the 90's (everyone forgets the Europa S, but never mind that). What's more, it was absolutely fantastic - it marked a new milestone for Lotus fit & finish, everyday usability and reliability, you name it. I believe large parts of the motoring world were gobsmacked.

After being spoiled like that, and then the Exige S in its many incarnations, the Evora 400 wasn't quite the same revelation. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

Something I also find quite amusing is the random bashing some magazines give the gearbox in the car. For a start, it's a damn good box and the shift is properly nice now. Secondly, the same magazines hold up the old Ferrari gated shift in such high regard, but that was a pig in comparison

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)