Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Evora 400 Reviews & Videos - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora 400 Reviews & Videos

DaveC72

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

:offtopic: (& I can't stand football :D )

• Like 1

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Evora Launch Edition 2+2 in Aquamarine -gone 2010. Evora Aquamarine 2+2 - gone 2011, Evora Ardent Red 2+0 gone 2012, Evora S Ardent Red 2+2, gone 2023 

:offtopic: (& I can't stand football :D )

I couldn't agree more Al. But then I used to love football but after 21 years in Scotland the beautiful game has been, hmmm, deflowered!

:) :) :);)

Back on topic. My first misgivings on the 400 are all gone. I love it. And even though I have only had my current Evora for 5 months I am spending more and more time on man maths to justify the purchase af an ardent red, with cognac interior, manual 400!

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

A guy I think Lotus should invite for the next launch... Great reviews, 36k subscribers to his Youtube channel and with his German car focus, likely 90% of them have a Porsche as their number 1 choice of cars... 

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGetawayer/about

Suggested to him today in his review of the new Mercedes C63 AMG S that he would review a Lotus and received the following response:

kokostrollet 20:53

+TheGetawayer Great review as always. But talking about true sports cars, when will you review anything from Lotus? The Evora 400 appears to be a potential Carrera challenger and the Exige S recently beat the hyped Porsche GT4 in AMS. http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/vergleichstest/porsche-cayman-gt4-vs-lotus-exige-s-rennstrecke-zeiten-9854906.html
Läs mer

TheGetawayer 21:11

+kokostrollet
They don't have a german pr-department or press car fleet. Press cars from the UK don't come over much here. Would really love to film one, trust me ! I even read that same review in Sport Auto :) +Lotus F1 Team 

This is something Lotus needs to work on, but the company is small and operating on a shoe string budget. They had press 5 cars available at launch all of them right hand drive and the finance won't allow for a southern european launch in a place like Algarve, the Sierra Nevada or the Italian lake district yet. Still Lotus needs to have a continental press fleet even a small one ( 2/3 cars) 

The US launch will have to be "better". The launch of the Mk1 Evora, a few years ago had more cars on hand and took place at a very sunny Laguna Seca. I  hope Lotus can organise something similar as a US launch in winter, in  Ann Arbor, Michigan is probably not a great idea. They will need to do a better job with the roadster and the future S variant. 

Indeed Getawayer, like many EU & US youtube reviewers do very good job and hence get plenty of subscribers.

They don't necessarily ask for press day invitations, but to get a car for a couple of days. I'm quite sure some of them are more influencers than the traditional press. I've started to think about getting my MRS after watching this: 

(ex) Elise S1 (VIN 357) LHD

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Pits, the sound on the track at the start is amazing. Close my eyes and I het a spitfire flying overhead. Truly amazing sound. I love it.

There's only one person in the Universe to ask this question too.  Jim @ 2bular can we get that noise for an old NA?  ☺☺☺☺☺☺

Edited by C8RKH

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

There were actual Merlin engines to be heard around Goodwood that day but what you can hear in the video is all E400. The wind was carrying the noise right across from the far end of the circuit.

Goodwood is very strict about noise and the 400 was marginal all day. Even in the most quiet setting the exhaust valve opens on large throttle openings from around 4krpm. It is manageable but will need to be driven with some restraint around the stricter tracks.

But trackday addicts should be looking at an Elise or Exige Cup both of which are more fit for purpose however Lotus will need to look at another solution for the next Exige V6.

• Gold FFM

Nice review Jonny.  Nice to watch a full review from someone who regularly drives other cars from the Marque, giving us a nice baseline from which to judge.  Thanks for your efforts :)

It should also be pointed out that I was driving the 400 round Goodwood in that video and had been black flagged for noise earlier in the day and during the filming was using no more the 5k RPM as a result, hence the speed difference with the Exige.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

I was hoping you'd use a few more revs Trevor just for the noise, but there was no faulting the lines! ;) 

We were all asked to keep the 400 in the TOUR mode equivalent which cut out at 6500rpm (which is below peak power). I was taking the car to that point while I was driving but could feel the TC intervening, even on the the back straight. The car was almost driving itself in 'TOUR' mode, I can see why they wanted everyone to keep it in that mode, it is super safe but I was itching to try it in the other modes for a fairer comparison with the Exige. It's hard to guage the ultimate pace difference between the two, if an Evora 400 really can lap Hethel faster than an Exige V6S that's mighty impressive for such a civilised and comfortable road car. 

I thought the brakes were particularly impressive given the extra weight, you could brake as late as the Exige and the Evora felt more stable over Goodwood's tricky cambers and bumps. However the peak speeds reached were always lower than the Exige managed, at least stuck in TOUR mode. Again though I'm not sure anyone should expect the 400 in any mode to match a V6 Cup around the track, what impressed me more is that the 400 pounded around all day without complaint. You can't do 15 minutes in a Nissan GTR on track without something overheating, same goes for a Jaguar F-Type, Lambo Gallardo and the rest. The 400 isn't the first choice of car for a trackday addict but it's one of the more capable road-optimized cars on track.

I couldn't believe how tiny the V6 Cup felt inside after some time in the Evora. I thought Trevor had moved my seat forwards as a joke! Love it though, you really 'wear' an Exige, there's nothing else on sale like them.

It should also be pointed out that I was driving the 400 round Goodwood in that video and had been black flagged for noise earlier in the day and during the filming was using no more the 5k RPM as a result, hence the speed difference with the Exige.

Trevor.

That answers that question then.

I take it you can't run with the exhaust switched off when using high revs? Or is that too loud also?

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

The problem is that regardless of selecting open or closed on the exhaust button, it will open fully around 5k rpm I believe so I was changing up ahead of this and it really wasn't getting into its stride by then.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

It's only right I add my own review to the mix

[...]

Just now found and watched this video. Excellent review! All the more informative as it's been done by a Lotus owner and connoisseur. Thanks for the effort!

I'm also happy to learn that they have improved the gearbox. Very nice. :thumbup:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Dave - Anyone who views this thread will go to post 1 and then read the rest of the thread. By the time you're this far in, it's pretty tricky to work out which reviews in your list are the new ones so either numbering them so it's easier to follow or just having the news ones rather than all of them listed would be better mate.

For example with a couple of additions between your last update I had to look at both lists to work out which ones were new. If they were numbered, it would be much easier (or even just asterisk the new ones each time). 

Fixing this now.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 2 weeks later...

That noise :D

Posted by

The Lotus Forums

on 

Monday, 2 November 2015
  • Like 2

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Not sure if its kosher to link out to another Forum for Evora 400 content, but the Evo COTY article is up on another forum (ironically, no representation of that brand in the test).

Google is your friend if you look up Evo 2015 COTY. 

***Spoiler alert*** 

For those that just want to skip to the end to see the rankings, see below...

Evora 400.PNG

Edited by 99Problems