free hit
counters
2bular exhaust - Fitted! - Page 3 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Clarkson "That's a dirty, dirty noise!" /Clarkson  

Here's a few quick driveby videos, mindful to keep the car within the speed limit so no more than second gear. But it gives an idea

Thank you Chris!  Love that car - and I'm so glad the Carbon tips just finished off the rear so well.   Fitting of the exhaust is very straight forward. It bolts to the flange on the downpipe/flexy

Posted Images

Thinking about borrowing something from the Exige V6 "Track" system Lee.  Back on Track will have something - don't know what yet!

There can't be any LOUDER exhaust than the 70mm with the valve "open" Jeff - there's zero silencing going on.

The lightweight "Track" system has been all over Europe - Spa reported 99dbs. It's definitely quieter than the open-valved system - and it's totally different note because the silencer is having some effect.

I have to find my test "mules" abroad. German owners think nothing of tuning the a*** out of their cars. I've got one UK owner who may be at Brands this week with the "Track" system fitted.

Why won't the "Quote" button work for me?

• 4 weeks later...

Nice idea.

Do they add much weight? Thinking of rotational mass adding to the twist on the rear pipes.

Are they a swap for road tailpipes? Or do they attach to the existing road tailpipes?

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Those ones are Titanium - I'll shave some weight off of those tbh! Just a bit of R&D.

For your new "Track" system, I'll be supplying a set to test.

I've got a couple of safety features in mind to support them.

NOISE - a real PITA these days.

Sorry - they're a swap slip-on fit for the "Road" tailpipes.

We want noise :lol:

Tracks hate noise :thumbdown:

Therefore it needs people like you to make it work for us :thumbsup:

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats

Tricky things add-on tailpipe silencers.

You need to keep to the same bore as the tailpipe - especially on a supercharged motor - no back-pressure!

I've seen some truly hideous designs - dangerous to the motor and to any following car.

So a lightweight add-on, with maybe downward-pointing tips would be best.

I'm on it (them).

• Like 1

On BoT stand.

Jim, far too much chat ....get back in the shed and finish welding mine up.....:) :)

Stu

Oi! Join the line :lol:

Here's a quick video of the Larini system and the 2bular

The Larini has a higher pitch but the 2bular crackles and pops more. We both agreed the 2bular sounded better, especially in the car. There is a lot more burbles pops and crackles with the 2bular. The Larini sounds good but is MUCH quieter inside the car and you have to rev it more to hear it.

Im surprised how different 2 exhausts can make the same engine sound.

From the video im a little unsure which sounds better. The 2bular sounds deeper and louder with more pops and crackles but it sounds a bit flat/monotonous.

The Larini sounds a bit quieter with less pops and crackles but its seems to have a better range so sounds less flat/monotonous.

From experience the problem I find is that the valve on the Larini seems to make little or no difference to the sound.

All in all they both sound great.

Edited by Crouchy

The 2bular is louder in the car with the valve open and like you say it pops and crackles more. The Larini sounds good from the outside but I was surprised how quiet it was in the car. The Larini also has a bit of a drone whereas the 2bular didn't have this at all.

All in all there will be a market for both, but I still love my 2bular :D

What can I say... I WANT!

My situation is the same as others have mentioned however, i do maybe 2/3 trackdays a year but really love a loud (so you can hear it in the cabin) exhaust.

I have been wondering for a while whether the valved system with the valve forced shut all the time for trackdays would be too restrictive for the engine. Has anyone tried this? I dont know enough about exhausts to understand what is going on inside the silencer on the valved system compared to the non-valved one to see that it would do any harm. Hopefully someone can explain.

It looks as though the solution might be the add on silencers but that brings increased hassle and cost and if that could be avoided them im sure Jim would be even busier.

any advice would be appreciated.

The valve on the standard exhaust opens up at 4.5k to allow the exhausts gases to exit. If you kept it closed over this, I'm assuming that the back pressure would do the engine no favours at all. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Yup - take a look at the OEM silencer internals below.

Every high-powered car needs an exhaust valve to help pass the strict EU drive-by noise limits.

Not only do you need a baffled layout but you need to restrict the gas-flow/power. The pipework is reduced from 2.5" (63.5mm) down to 2.125" (54mm) - pretty drastic and that much back-pressure at the top-end of the rev range wouldn't be advisable!

post-20824-0-38403800-1442229127.jpg