free hit
counters
Back to Lotus after a 16 year sabbatical... - Introductions - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Back to Lotus after a 16 year sabbatical...

Hello all.

I last owned a Lotus in 1998/1999, having purchased a new S1 Elise in deep purple from King's Lotus in Warwick. I did over 40k miles in that car in under 2 years, and I loved it.

My only gripe was the complete lack of any "play zone" between grip and spin - I spent a lot of time going backwards, but then I suspect ambition/bravery(stupidity) has always been slightly ahead of talent when it comes to my driving exploits!

Since the Elise and I parted company I've been through quite a few "drivers cars" (and quite a few family hacks and sheds!) including (in no particular order): Subaru Impreza P1, BMW M3 CSL, Porsche 997 C2S, Nissan R35 GT-R, and a Z-Cars R1 mini.

Tomorrow I will collect my Exige V6 in MSG, and I've not even driven one. Being 16 years more advanced in years than I was during my initial flirtation with the brand I'm not even sure I'll still be able to insert myself into the relatively familiar cabin without the help of an assistant and having a chiropractor on standby!

I'm quite excited...tempered ever so slightly by a modicum of trepidation.

This time around my Lotus will be purely reserved for high-days, holidays, and track-days and will be a pampered garage queen.

I look forward to many happy musings with you all over the coming months and (hopefully) years..

Dean.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks guys.   Jonny - your various Youtube uploads were partially instrumental in my decision to take the plunge, though I realise of course that the CUP is a different animal. 

Hopefully this will work...(more to follow when I find a faster hosting site)...     Picture taken upon arriving at our weekend base from having just picked the car up, so it's not as clean as it

Good point.   We're having a dirty weekend together (if the forecast is anything to go by)   By Monday she'll be a filthy, drained little minx

Welcome to TLF. MSG is a great colour for the car, you'll love it :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Welcome to TLF and back to Lotus ownership (in some style!).

A few MSG V6s on here. The car looks so good in that colour I'm amazed there aren't more!

:thumbup:

Thanks guys.

Jonny - your various Youtube uploads were partially instrumental in my decision to take the plunge, though I realise of course that the CUP is a different animal. 

Edited by D.no
  • Like 2

Great car, great colour and great intro.  Welcome.  Enjoy going more or less forwards hopefully......

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Apologies for the delay with pictures - I've only just returned home having collected the car on Friday as I made a weekend of it on the South coast, so I'll keep this short, and will endeavour to elaborate (with some pictures) shortly..

In summary: What a fantastic car! The first few miles took a little re-adjustment to my helmsmanship after having just returned from muscling the family Discover around the Alps, but once into it's flow on one of my favourite B-roads the brilliance of the dynamics, and the depth of character have left me yearning the next hit..

The journey back from Worthing to Warwickshire did however initiate the formation of a snagging list - the contents of which I hope to receive advice on from you guys, so here goes: I find it hard to believe that in the 17 years that have elapsed since I owned my Elise nothing has been done to eradicate the front suspensions clonks over sharp ridges/cats-eyes - I'm assuming this is "normal" still? I also found it difficult to find/engage 2nd gear on downshifts (first to second upshifts were fine, as were all other combo's up and down the 'box). The bonnet flew open on the motorway. And lastly there's a brief "chirp" or squeal from the engine on sharp throttle inputs (for example during heel/toe braking throttle blips), which is no-doubt coming from a slipping belt, but if anyone else has experienced this it would be good to know what to target.

The fact that the items on the snagging list have all been instantly forgiven speaks volumes for the way in which the Exige V6 drives. It's a sublime drivers tool.

Dean.

Hopefully this will work...(more to follow when I find a faster hosting site)...

P1040999_hf_zpssdv3qvzp.jpg

Picture taken upon arriving at our weekend base from having just picked the car up, so it's not as clean as it could be! 

I was a little surprised by some low-speed (small roundabouts) under-steer at first, though this seemed to subside a little with some heat in the tyres. I checked the pressures last night and probably found the root cause! - 32psi in the front (all good there then), and......29.5psi in both rears! I haven't had chance to drive the car since the addition of another 8.5psi in the rears, but I imagine it will be an improvement...

I've spent more time detailing it than driving it so far (I know, I know - the novelty will subside in a couple of years!) but I'm taking it up to Yorkshire at the weekend. No-doubt in the rain...

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

I've spent more time detailing it than driving it so far (I know, I know - the novelty will subside in a couple of years!) but I'm taking it up to Yorkshire at the weekend. No-doubt in the rain...

Sorry to disappoint you, I didn't really want to be the one to point it out, but, the novelty of driving it will NEVER subside.......

Only here once

I suspect you're entirely correct about driving it Barry, it's addictive - the novelty bit was referring to the obsessive detailing that I'm lavishing on it at every opportunity. The problem now is that it's almost too perfect to drive (especially in Yorkshire rain!)

Wow, that looks fancy.  Bit of a step up from the S1.  Really nice colour too.  Enjoy getting back into the (low) drivers seat.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I love that avatar Simon - friends of yours? 

Fortunately it doesn't take long to re-learn the entry/exit technique (the car)  :D . It is a step up from the S1 in performance terms, but the DNA running through it is unmistakeable and it has rekindled many happy memories from back in the day.

Off to do Buttertubs at the weekend after a journey up through the Peaks, so will more than double my total mileage in it so far. Can't wait!

(Just realised where you are, and that you probably have no idea what I'm going on about - I'm off to some good driving roads up North). http://www.drivingroads.co.uk/buttertubs-pass-yorkshire-dales

Buttertubs is fantastic, if very short, but most of the roads I've chosen en-route aren't too shabby either. Will report back on Monday... 

Spent 10 years living in Surrey and bought my Lotus in Devon. Mainly drove the car thru the surrey countryside which was nice enough for me. :-). Sadly now i'm living out my years on the beach in Australia...

...With my two 'friends'.

Edited by s4simon

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Welcome to TLF Dean. :welcome:

Gosh those cars look nice. :wub: Well done. :thumbup:

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.