free hit
counters
elite s2.2 boot lock - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

elite s2.2 boot lock

after 2 years I have got boot lock fitted and working ,had to make part from one loaned to me ,no more wire method, just got to take out engine and gearbox to replace/fix speedometer drive on output shaft, major work

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any secrets I should know?  And any photos?  I've got to do mine once the fuel tank's back in.  Got a new lock, plus my old catch, plus the mount from a third car so I'm going to have to build Frankenstein's boot lock!  All help would really help!

Regular restorer. Rather less reliable forum poster!

Wow, it really is quite a contraption.  Is it supposed to have the angled plate on the back of the lock barrel or is that your invention?  I haven't got anything like that!

that's the bit I had to make ,copy of part I got a loan of,the rest was on car inside boot,lock was missing on outside but got one of early esprit,took years to source,although I saw one in scrapyard on scimitar nearby,,yes I agree it seems a bit Heath Robinson ,but original to car

Is the catch sprung? I have to manually return the catch to its 'closed' position in order to latch when I shut the tailgate. I figure I'm missing a spring somewhere.

Would also like to fit remote locking to the tailgate at some stage - anyone done it?

Thanks, Richard

Thanks, the pics are great.  Doesn't look too hard to make something similar.  And at least I can now feel relieved I didn't throw it away with the piles of other junk that came out of the boot!

yes mechanic took of right angled drive on side of gearbox,looked inside tail shaft and stated worm gear was missing,it is held in place by metal clip that corrodes ,then it is dislodged from proper position,have got spare parts from Opel dealer in Germany that suits,only 240/265 boxes,proved rest of it by putting end of right angled in drill and making sure speedometer gauge worked,hope this is clear,I had already got gauge refurbished and new cable to learn this afterwords,never could do hindsight like her indoors

• 6 years later...

Hi , I’m trying to resurrect or replace my S2.2 boot lock . I bought a TR7 one but that is hopelessly the wrong part - barrel way too wide ( might fit an S1 with the cable operation ?) I have the barrel but nothing else and this thread suggests fabricating the metal catch - pusher . But does anyone know where the original part came from ? I’ve been told Ford Granada or Land Rover ! Thanks                Dan 

• 5 months later...

I have been hunting high and low for a boot lock barrel & key for my 2.2 with no success so far . Some info suggests it’s a Triumph GT6 part which of course is rare in itself . Difficult to believe that there is only one other car that uses this part , so any other info would be most helpful , thanks .

20 minutes ago, basalte said:

I have been hunting high and low for a boot lock barrel & key for my 2.2 with no success so far . Some info suggests it’s a Triumph GT6 part which of course is rare in itself . Difficult to believe that there is only one other car that uses this part , so any other info would be most helpful , thanks .

How about going to a good locksmith, they could take the barrel out, if you have not got a key they could make one, or is the barrel knackered as well.

I think the barrel is knackered too . No “ foot “ present to operate the catch and it turns uselessly in the housing ( I don’t know how the internals would operate against the housing - but you’re right , it does need a locksmith to have a good look ). 

• 1 month later...

I've just seen this thread. I had problems with my S2.2 Eclat and found this locksmith to be very helpful.

https://www.arun-locks.co.uk/

[email protected]

Mr Ian Rand

Arun Locks

62 Arun Road

BILLINGHURST

W Sussex   RH14 9NB

07598 805533 / 01403 786213

He has a stock of the original Union/Wilmot Breeden lock barrel and keys and can match replacement lock barrels to keys and visa versa

On mine I got a replacement lock from Rimmer Bros, for an Austin Princess the original source and used the lock barrel and key in the original outer barrel holder. The lock body on my S2.2 Eclat is definitely from a Talbot Horizon. Or you could try LotusBits.

austin Princess Rimmer 9pound.JPG

P1050803 - Copy.JPG

P1050804 - Copy.JPG

Edited by Gray14