free hit
counters
Rum - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Rum

Bacardi 151 is well dodgy. I was in the U.S. a while back on a business trip, which necessitated a bus as there were 18 of us. On the penultimate night, the bus driver, who'd abstained up until that point, stumbled into a bar with me and another chap, and asked what he should have to drink. I spotted the 151 on the shelf and said that was some good stuff. He was wavering, so the barman poured some on the bar and put a match to it. It caught fire spectacularly, the spectacle of which changed the bus driver's mind immediately and he duly started drinking it.

He never made it back to the hotel room that night, even though it was only across the road, although he did make it to his bus, where he was found laying on the floor the next morning, with no trousers or pants on.

I, on the other hand, did make it to my hotel room, but singularly failed to make it to the bed. The carpet was reasonably soft however , so it wasn't all bad news.

Hangover? I can still remember it, 14 years later.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

One of the other apprentices at the time was encouraged to take a good how do you say nipp of 99% pure Methanol and after a 2 Day stay at Queen Marys Hospital Sidcup and a letter home for the rest of us we decided to leave well alone and unfortunately Rum has the same effect on me as Methanol did on him after going to the Dominican Republic on holiday in 1988 and partaking in a tour of a local Rum distillery and purchasing some 99% proof white rum so now I am stuck with more girly drinks but do like the thread    

I've had rum tonight - only thing is, I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I expect Bibbo will chime in a some point. It was poured slowly over the top of a glass of iced ginger beer so that the two layers didn't mix.

Tasted of Christmas.

That'd be Goslings, a dark n stormy is Goslings and ginger beer (not poured on top of the beer so they don't mix as Bibs thinks but mixed together as Goslings suggest!)

6241891444_8c4fb46040_z-625x416.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Picked this up from Rumfest today :D 

12140552_10156121115200527_4872673900663

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Just finished a bottle of this, didn't take very long. It was well nice innit!

IMAG2414_zpsth0ibwgq.jpg

• Like 2

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Life's too short for it to stay in a bottle!

20170505_005106.jpg

Evora NA

Tried a rum from Cougar once that was in our local Liquorland at Coles. I don't like most rums, but this one was really nice. It was only a trial and you can't get it anymore.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Ive moved from the spiced rum to normal stuff since clemo advocated drinking is and wiskey warm rather than over ice and have kinda gotton the taste for it.

I bought a cheapo bottle of lambs naval rum. For £13 its not bad at all. Nothing flash but alright to drink.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Anyone tried this, was a present from a customer

IMG_20171213_180540.thumb.jpg.b7c2313eb8ef79be8ec07c1e7ad78e57.jpg

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

It’ll be fantastic - it’s got alc/vol on the label - sign of a great drink

Only here once

Ok so recently ive moved on from the spiced rum and found myself with a taste for the dark rums.

I had a bottle of that cheap Lambs Navy rum and actually I really liked it.

Tonight a bought a bottle of £14 Captain Morgan Dark rum and I have to say I really like the Lambs better. Its cheap I know £18 for a litre in Tesco tonight but I think the dark sugar flavour come through really nicely.

There you go, Im not a classy pirate at all. 

buddsy

Anyone ever tried Zaya? I had a glass (and another, and another) in a bar recently and they were giving it the whole "oh we're basically the only place you can get this, it's super special" spiel. Turns out is really quite excellent - up there with the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva and Zacapa 23/XO - and indeed it's nigh on impossible to find. They've taken my name for a bottle or two when they get their next import in Jan/Feb

• Like 2

hahah no such problems with lambs naval rum. Its cheap its nice...it gets you pisssed!

buddsy

• Haha 1

@pete, that's Ozzy rum. I'm sure it's nice but I doubt it'll be as nice as a Carribean rum. 

@Mister_Tad, never tried Zaya but that's a hearty recommendation too. Angostura is another Trinidadian rum and the 1787 is off the charts. Have you tried English Harbour 10yo from Antigua? Finest rum in the world in my opinion/tastes.

@Buddsy, get a bottle of Pussers, that's proper Navy rum :D

• Thanks 1

Evora NA

Havana Club - used to buy it for 2USD a bottle when I lived in Uganda.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pete said:

Anyone tried this, was a present from a customer

IMG_20171213_180540.thumb.jpg.b7c2313eb8ef79be8ec07c1e7ad78e57.jpg

Was in Queensland in 1976 as a "Pommy Jackaroo" - drank a lot of Bundaberg rum (and lots of real Castlemaine XXXX). It was excellent then and should be excellent now! Nice present!

How as that homemade Mauritian Rum I got you @Bibs

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Not tried it yet mate, will be giving it a go on Christmas day though :)

Evora NA

@Bibs I have a really decent Guatemalan rum right now; you really need to try it.  Up there with English Harbour.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

I'll see you later :thumbup:

Evora NA