free hit
counters
V8 Turbo Coolant fitting - is this normal? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chstephens

V8 Turbo Coolant fitting - is this normal?

In the process of removing my turbos from my 2001 V8, I inspected all of the hardware and fittings to determine if any should be replaced.

Strange, but one of the coolant fittings, a bolt with cross-drilled holes to allow flow, has both of the holes filled with gasket sealant. It would appear this is stopping any flow of fluid through the fitting.

Is this the way the factory intended? If yes, why did they not just use a plain bolt?

Thanks, Craig

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
In the process of removing my turbos from my 2001 V8, I inspected all of the hardware and fittings to determine if any should be replaced.

Strange, but one of the coolant fittings, a bolt with cross-drilled holes to allow flow, has both of the holes filled with gasket sealant. It would appear this is stopping any flow of fluid through the fitting.

Is this the way the factory intended? If yes, why did they not just use a plain bolt?

Thanks, Craig

Smaller turbos like the T25 are designed to be water-cooled, so if they are blocked, it means that the CHRA is probably getting much hotter than is best. This isn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

The turbos obviously need cooling, hence the take off pipes from the engine coolant circuit, through the turbo body and back to the expansion tank. I replaced all mine a few months ago due to corrosion and leaks - absolutely no gasket goo and certainly non specified in the notes for the rebuild. These just have copper compression washers to seal the bolts to the turbo body and of course the holes have to be clear to allow the coolant to circulate. If any are blocked this surely restricts cooling and circulation around the whole engine. Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

My concern was lack of cooling, and thus I will clean out the sealant before assembling. If any leaks, I'll correct it the proper way.....

It is good to know this was not a design/manufacturer tactic. I thought it was very crude and probably a quick fix by a previous owner.

Craig

2001 Esprit V8

1985 911 Carrera converted to 1974 RSR IROC race car

1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS350 convertible (goes fast and straight - limited handling!)

www.hollowayperformance.com