free hit
counters
Early Elite brake master cylinder 0.875" bore - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Early Elite brake master cylinder 0.875" bore

I can not find a replacement master cylinder at a sensible price. The part number cross references to a Ford Granada Mk1. I have secured a repair kit but I am not too happy with the bore.

I have found a NOS Austin Maxi cylinder which is of the same type but has bore size of 0.75"

I would like to ask the collective wisdom of the forum would the 0.75" work and has anyone tried the Maxi unit.

Look forward to any suggestions or alternatives.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearmach-Land-Rover-Series-SWB-88-Dual-Line-Brake-Master-Cylinder-569671-BR0726-/221845830308?hash=item33a70abaa4

There are also other ones of this type available on fleabay.

I would advise you ring and check bore etc but I'm pretty sure that the Land rovers used the same type 38 supervac servo.

Not sure what you consider a sensible price but less than £40 didn't seem so bad IMO - obviously expensive if this isn't the right size but these are designed for a LWB series landrover (OK historically not great brakes!) but they would still have had quite some way to push brake fluid around.

Hope that helps

Digging around - I think this is a 1" (25.4mm bore).

Not sure if it is a case of the bigger the better, but I'd rather go up than down?

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

I think if you want to try the landrover item, you will need to repipe it as it exits on the other side? I seem to recall reading that a landrover item is the one for left hand drive elites and eclats?

I've used one from a pre 86 SAAB 900.

If you are looking on a budget, the 2stroketoturbo will sell you a serviceable 2nd hand one. Try to get one with the reservoir as the seals are different to the lotus reservoir.

Thanks for clarifying Dunc - that would make sense (I was unaware of the different side), although I guess if you are replacing the brake pipes it wouldn't be impossible? (Not sure about space/access?).

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearmach-Land-Rover-Series-SWB-88-Dual-Line-Brake-Master-Cylinder-569671-BR0726-/221845830308?hash=item33a70abaa4

There are also other ones of this type available on fleabay.

I would advise you ring and check bore etc but I'm pretty sure that the Land rovers used the same type 38 supervac servo.

Not sure what you consider a sensible price but less than £40 didn't seem so bad IMO - obviously expensive if this isn't the right size but these are designed for a LWB series landrover (OK historically not great brakes!) but they would still have had quite some way to push brake fluid around.

Hope that helps

Digging around - I think this is a 1" (25.4mm bore).

Not sure if it is a case of the bigger the better, but I'd rather go up than down?

Thank you so much for the link to the Land Rover cylinder on eBay. I have been going around in circles for days trying to match this cylinder of mine coming up with some silly prices of £100 plus

I phoned the seller and it matches the correct size of 22.2mm..

The price is great at less than £40 inc postage and the seller was extremely helpful, a really nice guy.

I have not looked any further, I ordered straight away.

Compare this with £33.95 for a seal kit (that I can not use as the bore on mine is corroded), it is good value.

Changing the piping is no problem they are showing signs of rust anyway.

Interestingly a bigger bore size is not the answer from what I can gather from various forums. The brakes would tend to snatch as you are pushing more fluid with less pedal movement.

All fixed up just waiting for delivery.

Well done and thanks again.

Thanks for you input Dunc.

Whereas I had read about the Saab 900 conversion I prefer something almost original except for the pipes. They may be a little close to the air filter housing we shall see. I do have a Snap On flaring tool and a cleaver bending tool for some tight bends, I am wondering now where the heck they are!

I also think on reflection that new is best particularly at less than £40.

I found that apart from excess pitting in the bore on my original cylinder some DPO had butched some internal parts and the housing by not having the correct tools like a large Allen key needed to release the internals. I found a sump plug removal tool, (usually used for French cars), ideal. The DPO had used a chisel!

As said before I had ordered a repair kit prior to dismantling the cylinder and that cost £33.99. I have contacted the eBay seller to say that I would have to return for refund. He is stalling at the moment but I will secure a refund eventually (Distance selling rules).

Incidently the seller charged £3.99 post and it only cost £0.95 to return. Ummm. I thought eBay had put a stop to overcharging for postage.

This should tell me something.

The SAAB unit isn't a conversion - it is 100% the same girling cylinder of the same bore  with 1 small difference - One of the two reservoir inputs uses a different seal.

We live and learn and I was not aware of this. I remember a Master cylinder where the reservoir fed the clutch cylinder. Must of been a different car model maybe a 99.

Edited by dixi4uk

thats true, but if you ask for the the SAAB 900 automatic reservoir, the clutch feed port is blanked off. On the Manual version you just block up the clutch feed port with a dodd of epoxy.

Or you can fit the Lotus reservoir to the SAAB cyclinder - Which is what I did on my excel as I simply ordered a new cylinder without reservoir. The ports are in the right place, and I cobbled a couple fo seals together which is a bit heath robinson. It holds and seals perfectly well at gravity pressure, but I'm not sure I would want to try to pressurise it with an ezybleed.

I have both variants in my shed. Second one I sourced was a SAAB 900 Auto one with the SAAB reservoir already fitted (for the red eclat) and I just bought another one last week with a reservoir from a SAAB900 manual to keep in the workshop as a spare.

With any classic car, spares must be bought as and when they are available.

One can guarantee that in an urgent situation nothing will be readily available.

Going back to the Saab master cylinder option vs. Landrover. I have noted that Saab units seem to be upwards of twice as much to buy on eBay. Must be "Snob Value"