free hit
counters
OBD2 reader - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My son got a yellow light on his 2004 MR2. I bought an OBD2 reader for £17 from Amazon market place. Works great on his car and both of the wife's cars (2013 SLK350 and 2011 Land Rover Freelander) but won't connect to the Lotus (early 1997 V8) I had the same problem with the last code reader I had several years ago. I take it this is an issue to do with the system being in transition to OBD2. Has anyone found a cheap reader that works with 1996 and 1997 cars? My laptop works fine with a Gendan software code reader.

Edited by toyroom

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been through this, bought a USB one for my laptop and a Bluetooth one to use in the car with my Android phone/Torque.

The USB one works fine but I threw the first BT one away, what a load of crap. Cheap Chinese copy with the same MAC address as every other copy on the planet.

You need to go for an ELM327 V1.5 version, don't touch V2.0 or above as they won't work.

Mine are:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141683045885 (USB)

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291487890802 (BT)

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Just ordered the Blue Tooth scanner off of the Bay, hope it earns its keep...

Yes, mine works great with Torque. Only on the socket under the dash though. Curiously the one in the boot makes the cooling fans come on when you switch the ignition off :huh:

But then again the USB/laptop wouldn't work at all with the rear one but fine with the under dash.

I can live with that though :smoke:

Got my blue tooth scanner yesterday and plugged it in, set it up and works ok, just wondering though I noticed on my socket (car side) the socket and plug have about 20 or more pins, however the socket only has 4 cables connected to it, so obviously not all pins are used, is this the same on all other v8 Esprits?

I have two versions that work on my V8, Gendan that works on my laptop and Dash Command which works on my iPhone using a WIFI dongle bought off Amazon which has a orange and blue sticker on top.

So does this mean there is no "stand alone" dedicated scanner tool for a reasonable price?

No, there aren't many stand alone scanners that are cheap. But why bother when you can hook your phone up for twenty quid?