free hit
counters
Front suspension noises - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

I remember my Elise S1 had noisy front suspension: Pattering, and clonks, and the odd loud bang on severe bumps/pot holes. Did it from new.

Having just returned from driving some wonderful roads in the Yorkshire Dales, and Peak District over the weekend it would appear my Exige is no different in this regard. Admittedly a group B rally car would have been more suitable for some of the roads given the blind dips/crests and general condition of the surface but the Exige proved to be an intoxicating, spellbindingly involving and rapid partner. It's exactly what I've been searching for and I could spout superlatives into the middle of next week.

I only wish the communication from the front wheels was a solely tactile interaction rather than one which involves a constant audible dialogue too.

Are my experiences consummate with that of others? Is there a means of muting the clonks and bangs that doesn't involve noise cancelling headphones or turning the stereo up?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks TC.

It's great to know it could (and should) be silent

I haven't had a chance to check anything yet - that will hopefully commence tomorrow. I do have it booked in to Silverstone but a few cursory checks with a torque wrench can't go amiss in the meantime..

No clonks and bangs from mine, just a very annoying squeak from the front near-side suspension. It only does it though if you drive the car for a long distance. It starts if you have been driving for about three hours. The trouble is once it's started it won't stop unless you leave the car parked up for a few days! It's then completely gone unless you embark on another long drive. Squeaky damper at a guess, but very odd.

No clonks and bangs from mine, just a very annoying squeak from the front near-side suspension. It only does it though if you drive the car for a long distance. It starts if you have been driving for about three hours. The trouble is once it's started it won't stop unless you leave the car parked up for a few days! It's then completely gone unless you embark on another long drive. Squeaky damper at a guess, but very odd.

Hi Neal,

I spent ages reading this thread from our friends site across the pond: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/little-clunks-steering-not-steering-rack-thread-78381/ (not sure if pasting that is "legal" on here or not? - mod's please remove and slap my pandies if not)

I think similar noises to that which you describe are discussed/solved somewhere within, but get yourself a drink and a snack and settle in for a few hours!..

I had a very loud noise coming from the front of the car, sounded like creaking/banging. After weeks of diagnosis, turns out it was a clamp on a heating hose banging against the aluminium frame.

Thanks Steve.

I'm pretty sure the noise I can hear emanates from the suspension. If I hit a large bump/pot hole it sounds as though there are no bump-stops fitted and the wishbone is simply crashing into the chassis rail! It's LOUD. This is fairly infrequent (unless driving in the Dales!), but the smaller pattering noises and clonks are omnipresent as soon as the surface becomes anything less than circuit smooth.

There are a few quick and easy checks that I'll conduct just to make sure everything's torqued-up nicely, and then it'll be off to Silverstone next month.

I'm beginning to wonder now whether my Elise was "normal" or whether I've just been incredibly unlucky. Twice. 

It's great to know that I can aim for silent suspension though, and it's not just a common trait.