free hit
counters
Dropping the engine out of an S1 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Dropping the engine out of an S1

Paul Coleman

I have the unenviable task of removing the engine out of my S1, having just put the bloody thing in! The head gasket is leaking on my newly rebuilt engine and Steve at SJ reckons the liner nip is too high.

I am planning on dropping it out of the bottom but I'm concerned what sort of angle I'm going to have to have the thing at to get it out? Also, will I need to remove the tailgate as I'd rather not if I don't have to.

If anybody has any tips now would be a good time for me to hear them :)

Thanks, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you watched the Wheeler Dealers episode where they pull the engine? Looks like removing the hatch and a pretty steep angle are needed.

Jim

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

I can't answer your question directly Paul because I have always been told that the easiest, that's the phrase, way is out of the top. There's a You Tube video is someone doing it. I'm sure Matt always says that's the way to go about it.

Look what Q's brought us. Isn't it nice!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't drop it in the end and managed to do what I needed with it in the car. Steve at SJ said to me that he couldn't remember the last time they actually removed an engine from an S1 as everything could be done with it in situ either from above or below. Of course they have a proper workshop with a lift though.

Well done! In some ways easier in others not. I've been crouching in the engine bay adjusting the distributor and other bits. Cant even imagine changing the timing belt or removing the head. Its a nightmare to work on. My car seems to get quite hot, but the kenlowes manage to control the temp - they stay on a lot.

I had to take the head off and change the studs in the block and fit a new head gasket. So timing belt off, cam carriers, water pump, head etc. Took hours to clean it all up afterwards before refitting.

I've done most of the jobs that strike fear into new owners so I consider that I'm no longer a 'Lotus virgin' hahaha

Edited by Paul Coleman

Having paid £900 to have the engine rebuilt I was a little put out! However, in their defence it was as much my fault for not doing my homework. The new Goetze gasket and tightening spec is not compatible with the original head studs. Basically the studs yield and the gasket leaks. So I fitted the new uprated Lotus studs (with the dimple in the top) and torqued it down to the original spec in the workshop manual with Wellseal on the gasket.

No leaks so far but I'm not counting my chickens just yet...

Edited by Paul Coleman

Blimey....... I think it would have been easier to take the engine out...... on the top of a mountain...... with one arm.

10/10 for effort.

I'm doing cam belt, manifold and a few odd's and sods this winter (probably a new clutch)...... the engine is coming out for sure.

My main motivation for taking the engine out was that I thought the liner nip was too high. So I was going to take the whole engine back to the engine builders for them to sort it out. However, it did cross my mind that if it wasn't their fault then I'd end up with yet another bill.

So I started to dismantle everything ready to take it out only to find that my engine crane boom was too short by about two feet. So I stripped it and they came over and re-checked the nip which was within spec. So as it turned out it probably saved me money!

Having done it, it really isn't that bad and I can't off hand think of a job where I would take the engine out? A cam belt isn't that bad as long as you have the puller for the crank pulley.

For a new clutch I'd just drop the gearbox.

• Like 1

All the work I've ever done on the Esprit has been with the engine in situ. Whilst it would be so much easier to do various jobs with the engine on the bench, the beauty of the S1 & S2 over later cars is that virtually all the bits are accessible with the lump in place. No daft engine surrounds to get in the way.

I replaced the clutch a few months ago. Not a fun job and made easier by having the car on a scissor lift but it's a one man job getting it off. 

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009