free hit
counters
Evora GP Special Edition / GTE? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora GP Special Edition / GTE?

Jfleifel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Doesn't look like a GTE to me mate, looks like a GP Special Edition iirc.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Nope, sorry it's not a GTE.

Have a look through this thread at the images and also this one and you'll see what the GTE is and will be able to spot the differences. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

This is from the lotus forum itself and uses the word 'badging';

Back at the Geneva Motor Expo in 2012 Lotus unveiled the ‘Lotus F1 Team” Evora GTE, dedicated to and inspired by the F1 team and Kimi Raikkonen. With an unpainted high-gloss carbon-fibre body, carbon interior with copper inlays, gold-piped black leather bucket seats, and Lotus F1 Team Limited Edition badging the GTE was to be the most powerful Lotus road car ever.

Kimi said at the time: “If the Lotus F1 Team Evora GTE is as quick as it looks then it is going to be absolutely incredible. I would love to have this as my company car! I like its aggressive shape and the carbon-fibre finish makes it stand out even more – I can’t wait to drive it.”

That's this car...

lotus-f1-team-evora-gte-photo-446514-s-9

Evora NA

But it's also the car from the carbuzz link I posted, which you'll notice has the identical upper bonnet as mine.  As I said, I was shipped all the additional body parts seven months later. And you'll notice that in the carbuzz article they call it a GTE even though it wasn't branded a GTE, it was branded a Limited Edition. It's a GTE.  My car and the car in these pictures are from the original GTE's that didn't make it, then the 30 that became 20, that are available now.

None of the GTE's (1-20) have shipped to customers with centre lock wheels.

Evora NA

Got them in the box, they're they ones like on the "number 10 car",  stored with the tail which I haven't put on due to contemplating going for the 400 tail which is a bit more subtle. 

• Like 1

None of the GTE's (1-20) have shipped to customers with centre lock wheels.

I know. But the photos of both the 'original GTEs' (ie the Kimi & Grosjean cars) showed them with centre-lock wheels.

Got them in the box, they're they ones like on the "number 10 car",  stored with the tail which I haven't put on due to contemplating going for the 400 tail which is a bit more subtle.

It sounds like you've got a great car with an interesting history. Why not pop over to here and say 'hello' properly?  :welcome:

They took the centre locks as you need some very expensive equipment to look after them properly I believe.

Evora NA

I think there is some confusion here.

Ok so to clear things up a little

Mansory did the GTE bodywork and trim which is 100mm wider than the std Evora and are like the 20 cars Lotus have just reworked out of the 30 or so they had.

However Mansory also did a bodykit for the Evora which looks indentical to the GTE design but is the just the standard width so it fits on the normal car. This is what i belive jfliefel has on his car. Details of this kit can be found here - http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Mansory_Evora_Parts

Ok so onto the centre lock wheels.

With the GTE being 100mm wider than the std car they needed to fill out the arches with wheel somehow.

Rather than do it properly (ill get to that shortly) they choose to use a spacer which also incorporated the centre lock thread in order to space the wheels out to fill the arches up.

One, the design was never deeemed safe enough to use on a road car. And two, the spacers used on the front axle resulted in some wayward steering and control of the car. It was a patch job basically to make them look good on show. They had to put stops in the steering rack either side to make sure it didnt turn too far and stop the wheels hitting the wheel arches and bodywork (2 turns lock to lock). Nasty, nasty, nasty.

Hence why lotus could never release them like this, and why they have all had new front wishbones custom made to space the wheels out correctly and give the car good geometery again.

Edited by TheKevlarKid
  • Like 1

That particular GTE is now owned by me! Those photos were all taken in Jerez Spain at the Lotus Renault F1 team Launch.  The car spent it's early life as the official press car. 

After the photoshot in jerez the car was shipped to a showroom in Hong Kong and therefore remained unregistered until it was brought back to the UK at the end of 2014.

That's excellent. Congrats. Help us clear this up, does it say 'GTE' on the title? What year was it first registered?

There's nothing to clear up.

What you have is not a GTE or one of the original 30 cars that became GTEs

What you have is a special edition with a Mansory narrow body kit.