free hit
counters
Sound System Upgrade - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Sound System Upgrade

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Maybe the sound of my 4 pot isn't as hypnotic as the V8..

I'll get down to Chichester and take you for a spin. Once you have heard it you might want to do a trade in for a later model...

Hmmmm. have been thinking that about the missus too :whistle:

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Well this thread got me thinking too.

As per an earlier post, I put a much better Alpine head unit in the car this weekend and it is pretty good, deafening when you wind it up, even without an additional amp. However, the speakers sound a bit dull. Not very crisp and the bass is a bit muted.

Hmmmmmm, the original Clarion speakers are 19 years old and it is to be expected as they only have paper cones And got sat in the sun for years and all that.

Upgrade required.

So I have gone for this Clarion pair (keep it sort of original, eh?):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371080339695

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371080345895

All I have to do now is find the shortest stubby Posidrive and borrow some Mr Twizzle arms to get the bloody speaker out of the front driver's side dash. I should have thought of this when the broken windscreen was being replaced...duh.

• Gold FFM

Makita do a small toolset for this very purpose

Has a racket spanner to take standard hex bits

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=62454&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9o-vBRCO0OLi2PfPkI8BEiQA8pdF4Pu5hMHKk5EHbHnyN6Ho9lcN-oMW2nxYSGfIDaqvt08aAv388P8HAQ

They are normally £10-£15 a set And are amazingly useful

Only here once

I'm sure I have seen a setup with a sub in the passenger footwell.

Regards the door membrane you can get mass loaded vinyl, this is heavier than the normal plastic and helps deaden a lot more.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Once you have heard it you might want to do a trade in for a later model...

Hmmmm. have been thinking that about the missus too :whistle:

Depends what kind of noise your missus makes.. :question:

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Makita do a small toolset for this very purpose

Has a racket spanner to take standard hex bits

http://www.toolstop.co.uk/index.php?option=shop&page=shop.product_details&product_id=62454&l=uk&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9o-vBRCO0OLi2PfPkI8BEiQA8pdF4Pu5hMHKk5EHbHnyN6Ho9lcN-oMW2nxYSGfIDaqvt08aAv388P8HAQ

They are normally £10-£15 a set And are amazingly useful

That's a very good call. Thanks very much Barry!

• Like 1

What do the experts think of these for adding bass in the existing rear enclosures? I've seen small quality 6.5" subs like JBL and MB Quart before but they seem to have gone from pricelists unless you are in N America.

https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/earthquake-sound-sws-6-5x-6-5-single-4-ohm-sws-shallow-mount-subwoofers-pair.html

I'm sort of put off by the box and never heard of them but they seem the best of a limited UK choice.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

No problem Neil. Team Swindon In Car Entertainment :B)

Although I kinda think that perhaps you might be getting a bit carried away. As another poster said, the best soundtrack I can listen to when driving my Esprit is to wind the window down and listen to that gorgeous noise - so hypnotic :D

On another note (pun intended), is your V8 on the road Alex? As mine now is we should get a meet up. Also see if Phumy from Weston fancies it. Three V8s out and about should blow a few of Joe Public's minds... :stuart:

Oh and did you see this if yours is T&T'd? Very local... http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/76826-esprit-v8-meet-up/

Firstly don't put the tweeters at the back they must be in front of you . Bass is known as the ghost sound you can hear it and feel it but it's origin is some times lost . A tweeter you can tell exactly where the source is and you don't go to a concert and turn your back on the music .

Secondly a meet would be fantastic but my esprit currently is off the road without an engine at present can't discuss the reasons on here until I have answers to my problem .long story but will take great pleasure in outing the culprits and explaining eventually .......

Edited by Alex Carter

Secondly a meet would be fantastic but my esprit currently is off the road without an engine at present can't discuss the reasons on here until I have answers to my problem .long story but will take great pleasure in outing the culprits and explaining eventually .......

Bummer. Really sorry to hear that Alex. Mine taking nearly eight months to get fixed was like a nagging toothache. I bet it isn't easy. Happy to take you out for a spin anytime just to get the juices flowing again if you wish. You're just up the hill mate...

Great thread, been a while since we had a good ICE one...

I too wanted a fairly standard install, without too much surgery, but was keen on an amp and decent bluetooth headunit. 

I can vouch for Focals, I have the one up from the Access range, 10cm coaxial ones fitted in the front.  In the back I have just put in Audison Voce 6.5" woofers after I became convinced that the shallow fit Phonocar woofers I had in there previously had blown (they hadn't, loose connection).  The Audisons needed some fettling to fit.  Everything is driven by a JL 360x4 amp fitted in the boot screwed to the panel which covers the coil.  I couldn't get the amp to fit in the cabin.

Head unit is a Pioneer DEH80PRS.  Least naff looking one I could find, although still a bit plasticky.  Two USBs, SD card, bluetooth, so all good, but the best part is that you can set it up so that you push high and mid frequencies through the front and bass through the rear and set up all the crossovers and pass filters to suit.

Sound wise, I think it's great.  Nice soundstage, clear and powerful, treble not too bright, and woofers don't flap your trousers.  I think it'd be improved with a proper sub but I don't believe it can be done without ruining the interior for passengers.  Components in the front might be an improvement too but I don't want to hack into the A-pillars just yet.

Probably spent about 700 quid on the whole lot, but I likes me music...

• Like 1

What do the experts think of these for adding bass in the existing rear enclosures? I've seen small quality 6.5" subs like JBL and MB Quart before but they seem to have gone from pricelists unless you are in N America.

https://audiovisualworld.co.uk/earthquake-sound-sws-6-5x-6-5-single-4-ohm-sws-shallow-mount-subwoofers-pair.html

I'm sort of put off by the box and never heard of them but they seem the best of a limited UK choice.

I'd seen these too. The only problem is finding 100w rms 4" components and tweeters to go in the front if I'm going to run them from a 4x 100w amp...

Great thread, been a while since we had a good ICE one...

I too wanted a fairly standard install, without too much surgery, but was keen on an amp and decent bluetooth headunit. 

I can vouch for Focals, I have the one up from the Access range, 10cm coaxial ones fitted in the front.  In the back I have just put in Audison Voce 6.5" woofers after I became convinced that the shallow fit Phonocar woofers I had in there previously had blown (they hadn't, loose connection).  The Audisons needed some fettling to fit.  Everything is driven by a JL 360x4 amp fitted in the boot screwed to the panel which covers the coil.  I couldn't get the amp to fit in the cabin.

Head unit is a Pioneer DEH80PRS.  Least naff looking one I could find, although still a bit plasticky.  Two USBs, SD card, bluetooth, so all good, but the best part is that you can set it up so that you push high and mid frequencies through the front and bass through the rear and set up all the crossovers and pass filters to suit.

Sound wise, I think it's great.  Nice soundstage, clear and powerful, treble not too bright, and woofers don't flap your trousers.  I think it'd be improved with a proper sub but I don't believe it can be done without ruining the interior for passengers.  Components in the front might be an improvement too but I don't want to hack into the A-pillars just yet.

Probably spent about 700 quid on the whole lot, but I likes me music...

£700!! My budget is considerably more meagre than that.

Following the advice here I think I've settled on a plan of:

6.5" shallow subs in the rear (will need to fit without spacers)

4" components and tweeters in the front

Suitable amp in the rear luggage space

What I need to do now is match some fronts and backs in terms of rms wattage and identify a suitable amp.

When you fit the rears be very careful to make sure they are spaced enough away from the inner door panels on closing .  Until I bonded the grill on one of mine would just brush and pop it of the frame every 3-4th door shut. 

That might be because I had fitted a 9x9 inch replacement section of ply each side and inadvertently cut slightly too far to the outer edge of the bulkhead .

Well this thread got me thinking too.

As per an earlier post, I put a much better Alpine head unit in the car this weekend and it is pretty good, deafening when you wind it up, even without an additional amp. However, the speakers sound a bit dull. Not very crisp and the bass is a bit muted.

Hmmmmmm, the original Clarion speakers are 19 years old and it is to be expected as they only have paper cones And got sat in the sun for years and all that.

Upgrade required.

So I have gone for this Clarion pair (keep it sort of original, eh?):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371080339695

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371080345895

All I have to do now is find the shortest stubby Posidrive and borrow some Mr Twizzle arms to get the bloody speaker out of the front driver's side dash. I should have thought of this when the broken windscreen was being replaced...duh.

Put these in today.

It sounds AWESOME. I don't really understand why you need an external amp? With a good powerful head unit the cabin is so small you get so much power output. It will do me fine  :smoke: 

Do you know what RMS these speakers are rated to? The eBay ad doesn't say and neither is it quoted on the Clarion site.

Also, what is the output wattage of your new head unit?

I'm trying not to 'over think' my system upgrade so happy to consider a similar approach if it will give me decent performance.