free hit
counters
Sound System Upgrade - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Sound System Upgrade

I think Bibs ( the po of my car) had an amp in the front boot on the bulkhead.   I will take all the sub woofer jokes with good grace :2guns: but it does fill the sound out a bit  so I am happy and all I will say in my defence is my baseball hat IS a Lotus one!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The amp was behind the pax seat Malcolm.

Ian, you'll not heard that in the front boot, the sub may as well be in the box at home. While the sound is non-directional, it helps to be in the same compartment as you. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Agree.  My Honda Integra DC5 has a spare tire BOSE sub, and that works ok, but it is in the hatch, and they actually made the divider between the rear seats and the hatch area out of stretchy trampoline like cloth to allow the subwoofer sound into the passenger compartment. 

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Don't be fooled into those under seat things I get asked to fit them all the time and they are pants .

17 cm and a 10 cm will give you good sound but it's better to use an amp . Do you have a limitation to speaker depth . You could do some small 6 inch subs in the back for bass and a nice component set up front .

https://m.facebook.com/ascaudio

This is my business Facebook page have a nose you'll find in the pics a suzuki Vitara with a jl sub and a rockford amp next to a kit kat it shows how small 500 watts can be

Yes, I'm planning to keep the 6.5" rears, probably as subs like you suggest. The depth though is quite limited to about 2" I think so not sure if I can squeeze in any 'slim' 100w subs.

At the front I plan 4" 100w mid ranges in the dash and then a couple of tweeters at ear level on the rear window frame.

I've seen a 4x 100w amp that I fancy but I'm struggling to find any 4" 100w component speakers to go with it. I've read conflicting views about using smaller wattage speakers with a larger amp so I'm not sure if something like 60w will be suitable or not?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

I'm considering these speakers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271844738192?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's a 75w rms component set from Focal and the speaker sizes are conveniently right for the Esprit. Thinking of coupling them to a 4x 70w amp, with the woofers and tweeters in the bulkhead and the mid ranges in the dash.

Has anyone got experience of Focal?

Focal are good speakers . They do a range that are shallow mount too I have them pictured on my business site they are installed into a e93 m3 the speakers arnt cheap mind . Sound wise imagine your at home with a good cd playing at low volume the sound is pure and crisp when you max the volume distortion occurs now the same is with car audio if you have a powerful amp thats at qtr volume and the speaker is playing at it's peak the sound will be loud but quality will be pure because the amp isn't struggling that make sense

Don't be fooled into reading peak wattage it's rms real music sound that's important

Edited by Alex Carter

Are you going to do any soundproofing? The cabin is quite noisy on the move I was going to replace the door seals and also the membrane behind the door cards, as any gaps let in noise. I'm thinking of dynamiting the cabin as well, makes a big difference to comfort, and improve the sound system. I'm going to read up on soundproofing fibreglass cars.

I didn't spend a fortune on my new rear speakers. I bought a set from maplin! They are two way units with built in tweeters and sound great. It's not the name on the front, it's the specs that are important. I studied speaker parameters at uni. And I have kenwood in the dash. I have a kenwood head unit, yes it plays cd but I use the the car so few times that it does me, and usually I have the radio on. I'd like to fit a small sub for bass.

Have a read up on speaker parameters, soundproofing and car installs.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Sorry Alan, are you saying I'm on the right track on my own or that my proposed speaker choices are crap?

My JVC head unit is a KD-S713R. It's a 4x 40w, which I assume is peak, not rms... Hence I want to add the amp to drive the new speakers.

Focal are good speakers . They do a range that are shallow mount too I have them pictured on my business site they are installed into a e93 m3 the speakers arnt cheap mind . Sound wise imagine your at home with a good cd playing at low volume the sound is pure and crisp when you max the volume distortion occurs now the same is with car audio if you have a powerful amp thats at qtr volume and the speaker is playing at it's peak the sound will be loud but quality will be pure because the amp isn't struggling that make sense

Don't be fooled into reading peak wattage it's rms real music sound that's important

These are their 'access' range, which I assume are entry level but they are rated at 75w rms and 150w peak so should be OK for the small Esprit cabin? Looking at driving them with a 4x 70w amp, which sems a pretty good match.

The set I'm looking at is £152 for the set of 6 speakers.

My only concern at this stage is the mounting depth for the 6.5s, which I'm checking out with the seller... I reckon I have about 2 1/2" of depth from carpet pile to inner bulkhead and I can't afford to lose any legroom by 'stepping out' deeper speakers.

Are you going to do any soundproofing? The cabin is quite noisy on the move I was going to replace the door seals and also the membrane behind the door cards, as any gaps let in noise. I'm thinking of dynamiting the cabin as well, makes a big difference to comfort, and improve the sound system. I'm going to read up on soundproofing fibreglass cars.

I didn't spend a fortune on my new rear speakers. I bought a set from maplin! They are two way units with built in tweeters and sound great. It's not the name on the front, it's the specs that are important. I studied speaker parameters at uni. And I have kenwood in the dash. I have a kenwood head unit, yes it plays cd but I use the the car so few times that it does me, and usually I have the radio on. I'd like to fit a small sub for bass.

Have a read up on speaker parameters, soundproofing and car installs.

Thanks Chris.

I'm already planning on new door seals, roof seal, shifter boot and door polythene liners as are mine are variously shot or missing...

I wasn't sure about additional dynamat type soundproofing on fibreglass so I'd be interested to know what your research turns up please.

Quick cheeky message and thread hijack for Alex which might be of use to others.

My set up at the moment is a Blaupunct Toronto 420BT with a pair of Blaupunct emx652 and a pair of 662 speakers with a Kenwood KSCsw11 thin subwoofer.  I am reasonably happy  but realise I am not an expert so would putting an amp in the set up  improve things?  I cant justify binning any of it without a massive improvement but could just about stretch to fitting an amp as well.

What do you think?

Sorry Alan, are you saying I'm on the right track on my own or that my proposed speaker choices are crap?

My JVC head unit is a KD-S713R. It's a 4x 40w, which I assume is peak, not rms... Hence I want to add the amp to drive the new speakers.

I meant that you seem to be on the right track!

Ok, I've downloaded the manuals for your head unit and uploaded them here, just in case you haven't got them.

ib_kds711.pdf

kd-s821_733-731r.pdf

Unfortunately there are zilch physical auxiliary inputs of any format. The only expansion choice you have is to stream music through the radio receiver using an FM transmitter.

There are several options here depending on where you want to store your music and the connection method.

Storage options:

- USB stick

- SD card

- Cheapy MP3 player (I bought my nephew an 8Gb one for a tenner last year)

- iPod

- iPhone

- Smartphone

Connection - you can either plug an FM transmitter directly into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the player or you can get Bluetooth capable transmitters as well so you can stream from a phone without a lead. There are a lot of types available on Amazon and eBay but here's one to give you an idea:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-VicTop-Transmitter-Blackberry-Motorola/dp/B00RZTBBVQ/ref=sr_1_1

There are also additional functionality models around, this (surprisingly low cost) Bluetooth one has hands free phone capability, as well as being a car voltmeter! It also takes USB sticks and SD cards apparently, which is what I think your original requirement was:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DLAND-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Hands-Free-Smartphones/dp/B010LD5DR0/ref=sr_1_5

Hope that helps.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

The most simple way for a good sound is a component set up front a 4 channel amp and a sub . Amp the front speakers and bridge the rears for the sub . You can over come depth with more expensive speakers that are made for shallow mount but even as an audio seller fitter I'm still of the opinion in a sports car music is just a fill for straight roads on the bends the exhaust is my stereo . Bass will be affected by the exhaust massively so don't expect an award wining sound if your car is loud . Unless you silence the pipe and dynamat the whole car you will not achieve perfection .

• Like 1

The most simple way for a good sound is a component set up front a 4 channel amp and a sub . Amp the front speakers and bridge the rears for the sub . You can over come depth with more expensive speakers that are made for shallow mount but even as an audio seller fitter I'm still of the opinion in a sports car music is just a fill for straight roads on the bends the exhaust is my stereo . Bass will be affected by the exhaust massively so don't expect an award wining sound if your car is loud . Unless you silence the pipe and dynamat the whole car you will not achieve perfection .

Thanks Alex. I've got a sports back box so you're right - I'm not expecting to mask that or win any comps, I just want something that can compete with the engine soundtrack and that I can turn up loud when I'm in the mood!

If I did go for the 3 way Focal set I linked to on the previous post, will I need to amp each 'set' of 3 speakers (ie one side) with just one channel from the amp or can I use a channel for each rear 6.5" and a channel for each pair of 4" and tweeters?

Basically a 4 channel amp will do the output of the amp will go into the input on the crossover and from there you will have a bass + and - a mid + and - and a tweeter + and - so although you have six speakers it isn't a six out put just a pair left and right front . Then use the rear of the amp bridged to double the output to power a sub in a box

Make sure the headunit you buy has sufficient rca low level out puts ideally you need a front rear and sub output so on the back of the unit you want 3 red rca females and 3 white . 2 pairs will do some stereo s have the option of front and rear/sub this will also do . I do sell as well so if you need anything let me know I'll do fellow club members discount

Edited by Alex Carter

Basically a 4 channel amp will do the output of the amp will go into the input on the crossover and from there you will have a bass + and - a mid + and - and a tweeter + and - so although you have six speakers it isn't a six out put just a pair left and right front . Then use the rear of the amp bridged to double the output to power a sub in a box

Make sure the headunit you buy has sufficient rca low level out puts ideally you need a front rear and sub output so on the back of the unit you want 3 red rca females and 3 white . 2 pairs will do some stereo s have the option of front and rear/sub this will also do . I do sell as well so if you need anything let me know I'll do fellow club members discount

Thanks for the advice again Alex.

I was thinking of using the 6.5s from the set of 3 in the rear, rather than having a separate sub in a box... Do you think that would work or am I not going to get any bass at all?

It's basically the set up that the Commemorative Edition Esprits seem to have used - woofers and tweeters in the rear and mid ranges in the front.

From what you've said, if I did go this route I'd only need a 2 channel amp then?

Is there any advantage in going with separate component speakers (ie 6.5s with separate tweeters in the back and 4" mid ranges in the front) and a 4 channel amp over this '2 set' approach or will I basically get the same result either way?

Same result you won't get bass from those it's more deeper mid. Yes ref just a 2 channel amp . And you can put the speakers where ever you like but remember they must work from the crossover and the further away you may increase delay and separate the sound from its correct direction on my esprit I have a 6 and a tweeter in the door and the 4 is on top of the dash . I haven't changed mine from the factory alpine set as I have all original stuff and don't feel like I want to change it . If you give them an independent signal you get the speaker trying to play full range and it will sound pants .

Edited by Alex Carter

If it where my choice I'd look to put a sub in front of the passenger seat leaving room for the feet at the nose but technically under the passenger's knees in that lost space if you know what I mean. You don't need any thing huge . The jl 6 inch subs and 8 inch subs add a lot of sound for not a lot of space . If your handy with the fibre glass I'd lay a sheet on the floor cover that in a black bag then masking tape the floor giving you a shape for the glass mat once you've made this Base then remove from the car add an mdf top with a whole cut for the right sub size then simple add the rest on a work bench . Fill the inside with a little foam to distort the bass signal and it will work like a normal sub and add a lot of depth into your audio . Basically lol

Edited by Alex Carter

Wow, OK, lots to think about then..!

I understand what you mean about driving the 6.5s from the 3 way set fed with an independent signal - I wouldn't have planned to do that. What might be a problem though is any delay if I have the 6.5s in the back and the 4s up front, all running on the same channel...

I'm not keen on having a visible 'addition' I the footwell so that probably forces my hand into 2x 6.5 subs in the rear and some decent component mid range 4s in the front. My quandary then is whether it's best to place the tweeters in the rear window frame or up front somewhere...? The Comm Edition models and GT3 have them in the rear but I suspect that might not be the best option?

I meant that you seem to be on the right track!

Ok, I've downloaded the manuals for your head unit and uploaded them here, just in case you haven't got them.

attachicon.gifib_kds711.pdf

attachicon.gifkd-s821_733-731r.pdf

Unfortunately there are zilch physical auxiliary inputs of any format. The only expansion choice you have is to stream music through the radio receiver using an FM transmitter.

There are several options here depending on where you want to store your music and the connection method.

Storage options:

- USB stick

- SD card

- Cheapy MP3 player (I bought my nephew an 8Gb one for a tenner last year)

- iPod

- iPhone

- Smartphone

Connection - you can either plug an FM transmitter directly into the 3.5mm headphone jack on the player or you can get Bluetooth capable transmitters as well so you can stream from a phone without a lead. There are a lot of types available on Amazon and eBay but here's one to give you an idea:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-VicTop-Transmitter-Blackberry-Motorola/dp/B00RZTBBVQ/ref=sr_1_1

There are also additional functionality models around, this (surprisingly low cost) Bluetooth one has hands free phone capability, as well as being a car voltmeter! It also takes USB sticks and SD cards apparently, which is what I think your original requirement was:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DLAND-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Hands-Free-Smartphones/dp/B010LD5DR0/ref=sr_1_5

Hope that helps.

Thanks Alan!

Alex has given me plenty to think about too so I'll get my thinking cap on again this week and decide if I want to keep this head unit or take the plunge and buy something more modern...

No problem Neil. Team Swindon In Car Entertainment :B)

Although I kinda think that perhaps you might be getting a bit carried away. As another poster said, the best soundtrack I can listen to when driving my Esprit is to wind the window down and listen to that gorgeous noise - so hypnotic :D

On another note (pun intended), is your V8 on the road Alex? As mine now is we should get a meet up. Also see if Phumy from Weston fancies it. Three V8s out and about should blow a few of Joe Public's minds... :stuart:

Oh and did you see this if yours is T&T'd? Very local... http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/76826-esprit-v8-meet-up/

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)