free hit
counters
Front end suspension rebuild - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Front end suspension rebuild

• Gold FFM

That's it - summers over and the rainy season is upon us.

I've ordered all my bits from sj to rebuild all the front suspension. Steve was hugely helpful on the phone and guided me through all the parts required. It would appear that my steering rack mounting bushes may well be fubar'd as well - thanks to steve for the diagnosis on that one. New kit for the wheel bearings also. Everything that needs replacing will be done - I only want to do it once and in one ( don't laugh ) quick go...

New tyres on order and just awaiting that magic parcel from sj - lets just hope swmbo ignores the box and the invoice inside......

I will post some photos up shortly. If anyone has any top tips - please let me know! I already have some new discs for my universal spanner ( angle grinder )

post-18482-0-96720700-1440855874.jpgpost-18482-0-30213200-1440855885.jpg

Both sides look low in comparison to what they should be like - a nice low - but not when it's a clunking.....

post-18482-0-12056100-1440855896.jpgpost-18482-0-16727600-1440855908.jpg

Arghh - looks horrible - wire brush and wd40 spray to clean it up a bit prior to starting cutting.....

Holding off spannering until the box of goodies arrives, if I can, but I expect some of them bits are going to be lying on the garage floor well before!!!!

And yes - the parts are a wee bit more expensive than for an old triumph - but to be fair the parts cost really isn't that bad

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I just did front and rear recently, bushings, ball joints, and a new hub.

Lot of photos here

https://picasaweb.google.com/116113253735518541549/LotusSuspension?noredirect=1

Of course the rust will make your job tougher...!!!!

Here's my original 89SE suspension (new hub due to a spun bearing, and new shocks of course)

IMG_5354.JPG

Definitely read this!  SOme cautionary info in here!

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/59803-replacing-front-suspension-bushes-advice-please/

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/73976-front-suspension-in-a-little-predicament/#entry570582

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/52880-out-of-hibernation-1990-se/page-4

Also, you will need to borrow this tool

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/68222-arb-bush-insertion-tool/

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

• Gold FFM

Cheers Travis

I've read those - and was expecting the worst to be honest....

One side stripped - all bar one bolt to the caliber that needs a bit more work to get off. Ball joints still need splitting off - nuts undone though. And the bar through the top links needs to be pulled through into the cabin....... But can't get into the car on the two post lift.. I'm gonna need to post my lad through the window to be the inside man!!

One smashed finger with a hammer. A whole load of expletives that would put a docker to shame used. Just the other side to go now.

Awaiting new goodies which should be delivered Tuesday.

The bottom ball joint? Is that pressed in? And I'm assuming all the bushes also need pressing in.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Right - Travis you just don't know how lucky you are.

Both sides down - can't find my ball joint splitter - so have to wait until tomorrow to split them off.

All the bolts are off. I've seen some horror posts on here - mine was ok ish.... Now a lot of bolts were seized damn tight, and I mean anal seepage tight, but came they off. Only two needed the good news with the grinder and they got it quick!! A 45 degree slot in a nut sure frees them off fast.

The bottom bolts on the shocker the one side will get the gas tomorrow - it's loose - but won't come out - you can feel the rubber welded to the bolt when you turn it - so I reckon that was well shagged. There was a fair bit of wobble in the top arm bushes - and one of the ball joints was on its way. - other than that I think it's the springs and shocks that were well past it.

Roll on those new bits....... And hoping the nuts and bolts are there that I've cut off!!!

Off to shower and change them pants!!

Only here once

• Gold FFM

It's all apart.......

Seemed ok to rip apart to me

post-18482-0-92330900-1440951619.jpg

Now the shocks looked proper knackered - one was split and the bottom joint on the other was well worn

post-18482-0-12089000-1440951681.jpgpost-18482-0-78282400-1440951699.jpg

Skipped off down to my mates press to pop out the bottom ball joints and all the bushes. Hmm fire???

Yep fire sure worked

post-18482-0-45814000-1440952068.jpg

Next i though I'd hang something up on the washing line to dry

post-18482-0-92562500-1440952194.jpg

Only here once

Wow Barry, quite a bit of rust there! Glad you got it all apart OK.

I did all mine a few months ago. Not too bad a job at all and I got all the bushes in with a decent vice.

The ARB tool that PilotSteve lent me was great and made easy work of inserting those bushes.

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Good job on stripping it all down Barry, always nice to have freshly painted bits and new bushes fitted ;)

Love the fire option always works on stuborn ones, I still use my old method of drilling out the rubber, and remove a hack saw blade,

place it on the inside and re attach, saw through the outer metal shield and just chisel out when cut, hey presto bush out.

Glad all of your nuts and bolts came off ok, my basket case needs to be left in a bath of wd40 for a year me thinks :D

Hope the refit goes well ;)

• Like 1

A

• Gold FFM

Cheers chaps - going to pop into a powder coaters I know Tuesday - might get all the arms done that way. Better than my paint!!

Once burnt out - the remaining outer metal shell did indeed cop it with the hacksaw.

I believe a buddy of mine has a tool for those arb bushes - if I remember right the old VW golfs have a similar bush on the back end that's also a bstewrd to fit.

Off to work today - oh I do hope that box of stuff comes tomorrow - bloody bank holidays

Only here once

Love it when that brown box with the sj sportcars tape turns up its better than Christmas with the excitement involved  :D

Yes but the invoice always seems disproportionate to the size!  A packet = £50, a shoebox = £200, a bag = £500 etc.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

Hmmm two new kumho tyres delivered to the garage today.

All arms have been powder coated in satin black........ A bargain at £15!!!!!

Just awaiting my lovely bits.....steve at sj is shipping today for delivery tomorrow. As luck would have it the wife wants me at home tomorrow to look after the kids so she can do some stuff...... At least she ain't gonna be seeing that invoice for £35

Wheels to have tyres fitted Thursday, I will fit all the bushes Thursday and start putting it all back together - excited......

Only here once

• Gold FFM

All bushes and stuff pressed in

Arb bushes though hmmmm these are complete bastards - how in gods earth without a magic wand and special tooling to you get the lil bastards in the hole??

Suggestions please - I want them in and fitted tonight - I never ever ever want to see them again !!

Only here once

All bushes and stuff pressed in

Arb bushes though hmmmm these are complete bastards - how in gods earth without a magic wand and special tooling to you get the lil bastards in the hole??

Suggestions please - I want them in and fitted tonight - I never ever ever want to see them again !!

You need PilotSteve's special cone tool. Makes the whole ARB job a piece of cake - with it in place you can just wind them in on a bit of 10mm studding/nuts/washers

• Gold FFM

Thanks message sent.....

I'm stressing trying to get this bloody car back drivable for Monday morning - my boy wants me to take him to school in it.....

Those arb bushes have used up all my expletives and colourful words...... I've simply run out of them now - even used some I thought I never knew - may have invented some new ones.....

However this is what early Santa FedEx man delivered today

post-18482-0-03966900-1441222957.jpg

The only bits not fitted to them bottom arms is the arse bush. The top arms have all been pressed in as well.

Oh to be refitting tonight

Only here once

Looks good!

I read so much about the ARB bushes that I was convinced they were impossible and I was going to break them (at £25 a side!!). With Steves cone tool they were really easy, even possible with the arm on the car.

Just remember to fit them the right way round (thicker part to the front of the car).

There's at least one thread on here about them that I contributed to. Might be in the G car section I think...

• Like 1

Lovely bits to put back on ;)  Good luck with the refit and hope you  get the bushes in, In the picture on the front spring/shockers.

The spring top mounting plate i.e the bits with the four studs, are those new or did you get the old ones replated ?

A

• Gold FFM

Dan

The only bits I've reused have been the top and bottom arms - everything else is spanking new.

Once it's all back together and finished - I will tot up the spend and post on here - luckily the wife never looks on this forum as she thinks it's my sad secret side!!

Pilot steve has very kindly put the tool aside for courier collection today - so if all goes well with the courier - it's only an hour of spannering each side and it'll be back together over the weekend.

Picking up the wheels with new tyres on later today

Fingers crossed......

Only here once

Well done Barry sounds like the refit will go smoothly, and spoiling her with new tyres to boot :thumbup: 

I may have to get some of those top suspension mounts from SJs, I had a new set of avos to try from lotusbits and mike said he would put some used top mounts and build them up, on collection though he had not !  I just wanted wanted a quick unbolt and refit

as the current pro tecs are going on the track car and I hate using spring clamps as my current front springs are evil and don't like been clamped ^_^

• Like 1

A

• Gold FFM

Hmmm - other than the exploded top of the shocker and the raised from the titanic rusty springs along with all the fubar'd bushes - no obvious signs.

The new shock/spring assemblies even look the same size as the old ones which surprised me - but there is no weight on them sat in a pile on the floor

Time will tell

Only here once

• Gold FFM

New matching kumho ecsta tyres fitted to the front rims today. My old ones were week 14 - 2002 great tread but old and very hard, so hard my mate really struggled to get it off the rim........ Another cost to add onto the sheet!!

Only shame is they are 205 50 15 instead of 215 50 15 - but at least they match the rears...... And they seem superb. Seems the 215 50 15 have been discontinued by everyone

Tool picked up from pilotsteve - just awaiting txt to deliver it tomorrow.

Only here once