free hit
counters
Whisky - Page 3 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Found out it bit more about the Bottle of Haig Gold Label from Domonic Roskrow.

It is probably as old as the 1950's and he would personally love to try it as it would have definitely changed its flavor.

At the whisky exchange you are looking at £250 + so as I promised the mother in law I would sell it for her I intend to put it to auction.

Hopefully should get half that.

If anyone here is interested  let me know soon.

Chipp

IMGP0737.JPG

• 9 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ah Jesus, no one mentioned there were booze threads! Had I known that I might have left the safety of the Evora section earlier........ Nothing particularly fancy right now, but current stockpile

Doesn't everyone?! Oh dear perhaps I have a problem

Bulleit is a great way to make an old fashioned, add ice, tiny bit of sugar syrup, bitters and a little bit of orange peel. It's better with rye but bulleit will do. 

Posted Images

Having a bit of a re-erection here.

Ive tried some Bulleitt bourbon the other day and sorta got a taste for it. I saw in Sainsburys they had Jim Beam for £13 a bottle. Cheap but been enjoying a drop or two of that.

Buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I shall now bore you with the tale of my introduction to the Old Fashioned. It was New Year's Eve, back in 1959, when Moley was 13. Mum's sister, my Aunt Agnes (she didn't like her name so called herself Audrey, but that's another tale) worked for the US Army in Heidelberg, and was home for the festive season. The grown ups had decided to host a New Year's party, invites had gone out, and Agnes's PX privileges had been exploited to get in a stock of the essential laughing fluids. All seemed set...but then she decided that her nephew could be best employed as cocktail barman.

This was back when men drank straight scotch or pints of bitter, and the ladies Babycham...cocktails were pretty much unheard of. Anyway, I got instructed in the Art of the Old Fashioned , a la Agnes....much the same as has already been described, but with the addition of maraschino cherries and some of the liquid from the cherry bottle, which made it a bit sweeter for the feminine palate of the time... also a small splash of soda water to give the resulting drink a bit of fizz. The main thing to remember was that the squat Old Fashioned glass ended up almost entirely full of rye (which came in half US gallon bottles from the PX!) and this potency was disguised by the sugar and angostura and cherries and orange.... 

The party went well...I was doing my alchemical stuff in the kitchen, building the drinks. The male guests would take one look at the poncey fruit salad concoction they were being offered, and politely sip at it....the ladies thought they looked nice and sipped away too. After the first one, everyone was taken with the final taste....the fruit and the sweetness with a hint of something stronger, and they all decided that repeating the dose was essential;  but nobody realised what devastation they were bringing. I watched as these upright members of the community slowly disintegrated before my drink building prowess....by midnight things had become raucous,,,best New Year's "do" I had seen.

When it came time to leave, in those far off pre-breathalyser days, the cul de sac outside resounded to the sounds of minor collisions and drunken apologies..."I say, old chap, seem to have broken your headlight..." .... "Not to worry, old boy, I've just biffed Tony's rear wing!!" And they slowly meandered their respective ways unsteadily homewards.

I never forgot how to make an Old Fashioned...and the magic still works, converting the dour upright to the horizontal dribbler...... 

• Like 2

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Scarcely surprising, coming as I do from the first half of the 20th century.....(!)

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

Well I have to say Ive still got the taste for this American Whisky. Jim Beam I told is the poor relation to Jack Daniels but in a blind tasting I done the Jim Beam tastes nicer...obviously until you see the nice rock and roll black bottle and advertising of Jack. £13 though for the JB is a pretty cheap way to get your fix.

Loving the old fashioned.

Still need to try Rye.

buddsy :wine:

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I can now report back on the Jack Daniel's Single Barrel: It's bloody gorgeous! Smoother than a Kashmir codpiece, and the aftertaste lingers soooo long, it's quite superb.

Now you lot have revived the subject, I'lll have to skip the rock n roll JD and try some redneck Beam.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know where I can get vintage bottles of whiskey/whisky valued? My parents passed away and we are clearing their house. We have boxes of whiskey, single malts, the usual stuff such as glenlivet and some rare vintage dating back to the 50's. Does anyone know where I could get advice on what is what. Thanks. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• Gold FFM

Sad to hear that @red vtec. There’s plenty of online valuation sites on the internet - they can vary wildly - much like wine can.

try https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ should give you an idea

Only here once