free hit
counters
Year of the wing - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That's the federal S4s / Early V8 wing. I had the same wing on my old GT3 that I brought from one of the Lotus sales. The federal wing had the inbuilt brake light

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

It's the best wing.

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

Thanks guys, so that wouldn't be the wing that my car came with then?

V8's did have a wing (not the V8 GT's thought), I would contact Andy Graham at Lotus and he can tell you how your car left the factory

Clicky

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

I am speaking to Andy at the mo re provenance so will check it out, out of interest what does the federal wing mean? 

........ The federal wing had the inbuilt brake light

Federal refers to spec of cars which were shipped to the US. federal cars have horrible little orange/red reflectors on the side of the bumpers, or fenders as our friends across the pond like to call them! And they have the steering wheel on the wrong side too! :-)

Steve.

• Like 1

Could be the angle but the wing looks a little squat compared to the standard S4s/V8 loop wing. Wasnt the 300 a tiny bit more low profile?

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '91 Elan SE | '97 XK8

I think it just looks like that because of the brake light Vanya. There's not much room to get the polishing cloth under the standard S4s/early V8 rear wing?

PS, it's not the right wing for that MY, it should have one on struts. Unless it was a GT that came without one and has been retrofitted later. I can't think that Lotus would have kept a stock of them for customer order two years on. But the factory will know for sure what it was built with. So I suppose the question is was it spec'd as an SE (with strut wing) or a GT (with no wing)?

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

After 1998 when they became UK mandatory the easiest way of getting a middle brake light on any Esprit was a federal wing, so I reckon that's what the factory did

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

After 1998 when they became UK mandatory the easiest way of getting a middle brake light on any Esprit was a federal wing, so I reckon that's what the factory did

Looking at the parts manual, for V8 MY '98 on, the wing on struts with the HLSL in an ABS mount was specified as standard.

post-18669-0-92985100-1442361676.jpg

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Your yellow Esprit has the federal 97/98 wing. In '99, the Esprit went to the higher mounted wing that is attached to the deck lid. Here is a '99 wing.....

post-9481-0-85254700-1442383078.jpg

• Like 1

Slight correction, the higher level wing was for the 1998 MY - available late '97.