free hit
counters
Canyon Red Exige V6 Cup - Page 17 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Arun_D

Canyon Red Exige V6 Cup

Did you think about that panel In body colour Arun, I think it would look superb.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

LOL!

Weigh yourself with and without the panel and subtract the two. Just sayin'

Love those aero catches

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Top cat said:

Did you think about that panel In body colour Arun, I think it would look superb.

@Top cat It was suggested to me by Imran as well, I think, but I discounted it almost instantly. I like the contrast, and as you know, I specced my Cup with a body colour roof (unlike the standard Cup black roof), so it may have left the black front access panel looking a bit lonely. Plus, I'm always concerned the body colour would be difficult to match, as anecdotally it was suggested to me my Canyon Red may not be exactly the same as Canyons that have previously left the factory, but I've not had the car side by side with an S2 Elise or S1 Evora to add weight to that claim. 

4 minutes ago, MartynB said:

LOL!

Weigh yourself with and without the panel and subtract the two. Just sayin'

Love those aero catches

Haha, my engineering brain had officially shut down for the day by that point.

For those interested, I managed to get the scales out again, and the total weight of the CupR engine cover, to the nearest tenth of a kilo is 3.5kg. Just waiting on @GFWilliams to provide a complete tailgate, spoiler and strut mass to get the delta, but it should be significant.

Yet again, I have no trackday update as my second date of the year was also cancelled at Hethel the weekend gone by. Hoping for 3rd time lucky at Snetterton at the end of this month. Most likely now it will be my one and only time to try out the new setup before Destination Nurburgring in May.

• Like 1

Shame Hethel was cancelled Arun, the weather looked perfect up this way. Unfortunately I couldn’t have made it anyway so didn’t book.

When are you at snetterton, I might try and join you if work permits? I had my first evening at snetterton last Thursday, great weather for it and really enjoyed getting the Exige back on track.

• Like 1

Oh really? It was middling on the south coast which partially made me feel better about things. 

By all means, if you can. I'm there on the 26th with Javelin.

First of all, the car looks absolutely brilliant, the colour combined with rear hatch and huge wing just look so right!

Interesting feedback on ZZRs going off, please can you teach me to make tyres last this long? 😂

With the diff, it will often feel like it's not doing anything, but if you did a back to back without it, you would have felt like you were sitting still without it while the inside wheel struggled for traction. I know that with my car at Curborough it made a big difference as there are so many tight corners.  It does definitely cause understeer in the slower corners though which I still need to dial out with the setup.

• Like 1

Your paint looks great in the sun Arun!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 550superfast said:

Nice one Arun, good to see you are putting the Cup to good use. Did you notice the aero through the first corner?

I'm very happy to be getting back into the swing of things. First corner I always find a tricky one to nail, but in terms of balance I was feeling the front get a bit light once the throttle was fully applied from beyond the apex, which limited my ability to commit and feel the difference. Maybe that comment in itself says something about the new aero, but as mentioned before I had no such issues through Corum.

New fronts are due this weekend, which will be the first step in getting the car's behaviour dialled how I like it, safe to say adding the big wing and diff at the same time makes direct comparisons to previous visits a bit tricky!

Thanks very much. I've just come back from a fantastic return to the Nurburgring for the Ringweekends DN19 trackday. It was a semi eventful one that required a bit of panic, rushing around and expense to get the car back home safely, but we got there in the end. I'll put together a writeup with visuals shortly.

@550superfast Unfortunately during my first stint mid-afternoon on the trackday after a very long track closure (involving the air ambulance :( ), just after Pflantzgarten and prior to Bellof S the car suddenly eminated a very loud high frequency rattling noise. Of course I immediately slowed down and came into the car park area, thankfully those who know the track will understand this is not a long distance from where the noise began. I initially assumed the CupR splitter had come loose and was flapping, but inspection confirmed this was not the case and I couldn't see anything immediately wrong, inspecting all four corners as best I could. I even ended up ripping one of the rear diffuser grilles off, which was loose and prone to flapping around, but a quick return to track confirmed the noise was still there, appearing at speeds over about 40mph...so back off track via the T13 exit for some more head scratching it was,  road testing to Adenau and back and seeing what I could see in the wheel arches. I naturally feared the worst, possibly driveshaft related as it seemed to be wheel speed related but I couldn't see anything immediately obvious with the tyres every time I stopped and had a look. How would I get home now?! A call to H111 for their thoughts (they recently worked on my transmission of course) and them kindly giving Daniel at Komo the headsup that I might want to use their ramp the next morning was much appreciciated.

However It wasn't till I was kindly lent a jack and tools from a friendly Czech Sport 350 owner at he hotel that the culprit was finally revealed.....a delaminated rear Avon ZZR on the inside edge. 

40603680760_e85fe8574d_c.jpg

All things considered, I think I was very lucky that the failure was very benign, with no other symptoms at the time of failure other than the noise. I could have been alot worse. In the end, Tyre Trade Centre at the nearby Industrial Park sorted me out with a set of Cup2s the next morning, as no ZZRs would be available anywhere, and there was no point buying 1 Cup2 or Trofeo (my options from TTC, Manthey Racing and Komotec) only to buy another pair of new ZZRs back home to match the fronts. It is a shame as I did recently (as in last week!) put some new ZZRs on the front after my understeer complaints following my outing at Snetterton, and they 100% did the trick in solving the front-end issue. However, I honestly don't mind getting shot of those ZZRs following the delamination issue, as one thing I did notice is that my newest ZZRs are now clearly marked 'For Competition Use', and if I were ever to have another probrlem where I would need to rely on insurance, I would probably be in a spot of bother on non E-marked rubber. For those thinking about moving to these tyres, please consider this. I personally don't think they're worth the worry. Adding to this was the fact the new front ZZRs caused my steering wheel alignment to go way off-centre, which was then completely cured with they were replaced by the emergency Cup2s. I suspect it was a quality issue with the shape of the Avons that caused this. Going back to the failure, I am mindful I don't want a repeat of this on my new tyres, if this was caused by me overloading the inside shoulder through excessive camber or mismanaging of pressures. Hopefully not the latter as I'm rigourous in maintaining 30psi all round. I think I shall review my geo and go from there.

Aside from the issue, the car was MEGA MEGA, and I totally enjoyed my first trackday at my favourite circuit in two years, it's almost painful that my fun was curtailed early, but I had many great laps through the day. I could really feel the aero egging me on to carry more corner speed, and the whole car was so confidence inspiring, especially with it's fresh rubber upfront. Those and the Quaife meant every corner was just keyed in perfectly, it's a great feeling.  I'm waiting my complementary photos from Frozenspeed which should look great as the sun was beaming throughout, plus I'll of course do a quick video. 

In the meantime enjoy my new found ride height with the balloon sidewalls on the Michelin Cup2s, and yes, I have since ordered new brakes from Dave after returning home.

42361690062_f488e73b33_b.jpg

So come on Gary, share your story. Hopefully nothing too bad?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Great write up as always Arun. Sounds like you were very lucky with the tyre. Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Cup2’s. Whilst mine is mainly road use, I do want it to be as keyed in as possible, particularly the front end!

I’ll suggest some dates for a meet up with Gary too

• Like 1

Good idea Rich. Rear tyre issue aside, like a few others I've been able to demonstrate that even with plenty of tread, tyres do certainlygo off! I heard the Avons are particularly bad for this, but I think any tyres of 2 years and countless heat cycles are probably past their best. My experence between Snet and my day at the ring showed this perfectly.

On 28/05/2018 at 18:04, Arun_D said:

So come on Gary, share your story. Hopefully nothing too bad?

No, nothing too bad. I was at about 17/18km around the lap, there is a bit that jumps down which I was braking a little for, then it opens out to a short but very fast straightish bit, just before the mini carousel. It's flat out in 4th and maybe 5th and you can take a huge bit of grey rumble strip with the left hand side of the car - I did, at I guess 120mph and the car just died. Absolutely dead, even the speedo stuck on.

I coasted for quite a long way looking for the safest place to stop, which was harder than I imagined. Had to park up and leave the car. Managed to hop back over and check for loose battery terminal, but that was really difficult to see. The tow truck was on the way by now and the two marshals had arrived and coned off the area. Then it stuck me, as the tow truck was in sight, why don't I try pressing the big green button on the dash - with the marshals permission I hopped over and she started straight away. Then they wouldn't let me drive off - then I begged, and they let me - straight to the office to pay my fine........

Pic below of strict marshal, who was then was very pleasant, their very nice Focus and stranded Exige with stunning view.

7c76b3d9-e95e-4a60-9f73-938e1510a0d6.thumb.JPG.155f17a5547314ccb4b35d72030a668f.JPGea81ebed-6cf1-4f42-94a1-33b295514f91.thumb.JPG.a29c6b948138d5e117ff9d72b7448da7.JPG

• Like 1

I had complete engine cutout at Brands Hatch a couple of years ago - my instructor was driving and he is more aggressive than I am - he took a huge amount of kerb at Graham Hill Bend and everything died. Fortunately we had enough momentum to coast along Cooper Straight and then pull off to the right just before Surtees. The green button is the ignition cut-off switch - I turned off then back on again and the engine fired up straight away. We were able to pull into the paddock but caused a brief red flag period. I got Bell & Colvill to check everything but it was a complete mystery to them. It has never happened again.