free hit
counters
IPS gearbox software update - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
RichardProof

IPS gearbox software update

I'm about to get the S serviced at Silverstone. They mentioned there was a new update for the IPS gearbbox software out that they are going to install. I know its not the same software as in the 400 because its a different box so the guys have confirmed its not that. Anyone know how I find out what the update is and what it does to the gearbox?

Just curious.....

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They should be able to tell you at Silverstone. If not, let me know and I'll find out for you from an FSE up there. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I did ask Silverstone but they simply said that they won't know until the car is in and they can be sure what the upgrade is. I've emailed Aimee just to be sure. 

I've approached Lotus Customer services so may hear back from them shortly. Just interested as a reduction in shift times would be most welcome!

When I was looking at buying an IPS version a few months ago I was advised to check if the new cars available had the latest gearbox software and, if not, to ask for it to be installed since it delivered improved shift times.

In the end I bought a manual but the info came from a credible source

They should be able to tell you at Silverstone. If not, let me know and I'll find out for you from an FSE up there. 

Silverstone can't confirm and Lotus haven't got back to me - anything you can find out please Bibs? Shorter shift times would be a god send!

The update is more emissions related that drivability but the shift times will improve slightly, albeit not to 400 speeds sadly.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It depends on whether you have a N'A or S version as there are different versions of the transmission software depending on ECU software. Latest version for me made the non-sport shifts MUCH smoother which was always a weak link before

My evora S is a 2014 model, so whether they upgraded the shift about then I'm not sure. However, when driving in sport using the paddle shift on hard acceleration I reckon the gear change is about half a second or less until you get to the upper speeds then it may extend to just over .6 of a second. Difficult to time this though, but still quicker than I could do with a manual and I have the added bonus of having both hands on the wheel.                                            When I am light on acceleration, just feathering the throttle, the change up time is about .8 of a second which gives the car a smoother change.                                          

• Like 1

The figure from Lotus is 1.4 seconds from pulling the paddle to having drive in the next gear. It's 0.4 seconds in the Evora 400. 

Evora NA

That's interesting. So why don't they want to make the 400 Auto software available for the outgoing Evora S if it's so much better ?

I'd imagine there's more to it that just dumping the software on. Remember the 400 has 70% newer components over your car and some of those will include the drivetrain. Plus they want you to buy a 400! :lol:

Evora NA

Have to say I'm quite happy with the operation of the one I've got. When actually driving, your brain calculates when you want to change gear and when to pull the paddle, so it's not that much of an issue really.

I used to full the lever just before the first shift light appeared, about 6,750rpm or so and it would be in the next gear just as they began to flash :thumbup:

Evora NA

I'm about to get the S serviced at Silverstone. They mentioned there was a new update for the IPS gearbbox software out that they are going to install. I know its not the same software as in the 400 because its a different box so the guys have confirmed its not that. Anyone know how I find out what the update is and what it does to the gearbox?

Just curious.....

What makes you think the 400 has a different gearbox, as it doesn't. It's the same one that's always been used in the IPS and in theory you could update the TCU with the 400 software. The software has just been better written/adapted to predict that a gear change will be made.

What makes you think the 400 has a different gearbox, as it doesn't. It's the same one that's always been used in the IPS and in theory you could update the TCU with the 400 software. The software has just been better written/adapted to predict that a gear change will be made.

But the TCU and ECU software are interlinked with each other and you cannot use combinations that don't work. For example the IPS TCU software versions applied to the N/A and S are different relating to the different ECU software. As the only way you will get the software update is via Lotus and they make it impossible it simply will not happen

details are here http://vsic.lotuscars.com/

Edited by gregs24

Due to my Komotec engine software, I missed up 3 steps of IPS upgrade. Last service, my dealer advised me, to update the IPS to the newest Level (which I think is "p") not to mess up. I did. The newest stage on the IPS makes the system a bit smoother. Gearchange is quicker, anyhow, sometimes the downshifting is still rude... cant say when, sometimes it is sometimes not. Ayhow: the newest update for the IPS makes sense. 

I then had to put again the Komotec software "over" which was quite... tricky in process to really do it. But now it works. 

So I assume shift will always take 1.4 seconds with this box no matter what  software upgrades are implemented? Is this due to mechanical limitations?