free hit
counters
Rear springs too soft - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Rear springs too soft

Help! I'm getting confused. Having replaced the rear springs and dampers with new springs and Protech adjustable dampers my 'back end' is doing all sorts of funny things! I sent the car off to be set up by a garage and it came back with silly negative camber on one rear wheel and hilarious negative camber on the otherside. I have since taken it apart again to have the rear hub repaired and have now just reassembled. I have left all the suspension bolts loose to be tightened with weight in the car. The worrying bit is with everything loose I would expect the back end to be sitting high until I put the weight of 2 humans in the car but it is the opposite. The back end is nearly on the floor and the rear wheels are splayed with negative camber. Surely the springs should be supporting the weight of the car?

I have yet to screw the adjuster up on the dampers which compresses the springs. Will this raise the ride height? I've never used adjustables before and they don't come with any instructions...

And how on earth do I sort the camber issue? AFAICS there is no adjustment for this? Is it the springs and shocks that are causing this?

Looking forward to your wisdom!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

The adjustable spring seats on the dampers determine the ride height. You need to weigh the car with (the equivalent of) driver + passenger and half a tank of fuel and then adjust the spring seats for the proper ride height. If you don't know the value, someone with better knowledge of the S2 will no doubt be able to help you out, but even just guestimating it by looking at how the car sits should make an improvement. With the ride height correctly set, the camber should be within spec as well. It is not adjustable in itself, but does change with height.

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM

I foolishly disposed of the old ones before thinking it would be really useful to measure them and compare...

If you have new springs as well, the old dimensions wont help you, as the new springs will probably have a different rating (stiffness). You'll just have to measure. ;-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• 8 months later...

if you find some of my missives about the Protec dampers with the springs that a certain supplier sells them with, you'll find that I strongly suspect that the dampers failed very early due to the springs being too soft and so excess damper work.

Although they are new, I'd suggest getting stronger springs to match the original spec. 

The guys at Lakeside set up the suspension and it seems fine now. Not sure if I have any paperwork with the camber measurement but I'll have a look. The springs need to be compressed quite substantially to get the right camber angle. If you have the same setup, I can measure how far the adjusters are wound up.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

No worries. It makes a massive difference but I was surprised at how much they needed winding up. Hope you have good spring compressors and i think the winding tool really helps (which I don't have).

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009