free hit
counters
New ABS switch delivered yesterday - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New ABS switch delivered yesterday

Ouch!

Do the SE Esprits have the Delco Moraine system the same as the later ros like my S4s, then?

They sure do, '91 onwards. Wooden pedal goodness! Although servicing the unit is fun, I like the entirely electronic rear circuit - makes bleeding mess free.

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

To be fair, it Ralf has done the work and research on this, I think adding €40 to the price is more than reasonable! 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Fair enough. I bow my head in shame. I order. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Crap. I forgot to order....

This is good news if it works OK. I've emailed him to ask for cost and delivery to the UK. My switch went some time ago and I have a two switch system at the moment, which does work, but the light goes on as it vibrates easily with so many connectors, so to stop the light showing I have just stuck some tape over it. I've also applied the bypassed with the resistors you can do on the ABS system, giving a better feel pedal. It would be nice to have it all working again.

What it does.

I installed the two switch fix as described in the thread "delco brakes get them working successfully and well" nearly four  years and it works very well.

I've now  tried one of Ralf's switches and it also works very well, he has developed a clever way around the problem.

The original Lotus switch is effectively two switches, one switches the pump on at 2200 psi and off at 2700 psi and the other switches the red warning light on if the pressure drops to 1800 psi.

Ralf has used just one switch which switches the pump on at 2200 psi and off at 2700 psi and also switches the red light on at 2200 psi unless the pressure builds to 2700 psi.

Therefore it doesn't actually exactly replicate the original like the two switch solution does but it does work and is much easier to fit.

I can explain a bit more about how it works if required.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I have found another one switch solution that may be possible. The switch is made by HYDAC and is the EDS8000. Some wiring may need to take place but the switch has the ability to perform all functions. I have ordered one and hopefully testing soon. This switch is quite sophisticated and is fully programmable and has the ability to show real time pressures.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
20 hours ago, tmusc said:

I have found another one switch solution that may be possible. The switch is made by HYDAC and is the EDS8000. Some wiring may need to take place but the switch has the ability to perform all functions. I have ordered one and hopefully testing soon. This switch is quite sophisticated and is fully programmable and has the ability to show real time pressures.

Now that looks VERY interesting. As do their accumulators.

Margate Exotics.

I have spoken to them about the accumulators and it would be difficult for them to produce such a small number and would not be worthwhile to them. However, I have a machine shop making a adapter that will allow the WABCO STC2784 to fit into the pump without only having two threads of the accumulator reach the pump. The switch from HYDAC however is a two setting pressure switch. It will do everything that we need it do to for our cars. Including the low pressure alert. It will also give live pressure readings.

Are these switches available with the right seal material? If remembering correctly, they need to have EPDM material so not to degrade with brake fluid.

The Hydac switch says FPM seal, but unsure if this includes any internal seal/diaphragm.

Seal information

Edited by OwenGT3

• Gold FFM

As an aside, although the original switch gives a warning to advise of low pressure, it's a minimum of 400 psi below the normal operating pressure, and up to 900. So if the switch was ailing, you'd never know whether your system pressure was up to what it should be, apart from having to stand on the brake pedal much harder than you should, of course.

Given all the fannying around when you need to break into the hydraulic system, I wonder if there's a case to be made for a permanent fitment of a pressure gauge, not necessarily in constant use, but perhaps with a valve in the line to it. Either way it might well be useful for intermediate checks, as you may not notice brake efficiency tailing off gradually.

Margate Exotics.

that is the only difference with the HYDAC switch. it can do the low level 1800 psi warning. The first contact would be set at 2200 psi with a rise of 500 psi bringing it to 2700. the second contact would be set at 1800psi for the low pressure warning.

+ one for the alternative switch. The brakes on my SE are complete crap when compared to a regular 89 model with a vacuum booster...so I suspect I'm running lower pressures than optimal. 

You haven't got ABS on your SE. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Very posh!

Evora NA

I spoke with the HYDAC representative and he said the seal that they are referring to is the o-ring at the base of the switch. That can be changed to EPDM. He said all the internal components would not be affected by the brake fluid. This switch has two contact points and each contact can be adjusted to a upper and lower value. Effectively making the switch have four set values.