free hit
counters
TLF on DPM - The Ultimate Guide - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF on DPM - The Ultimate Guide

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

System looks like it works brilliantly.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 3 weeks later...

Took the exige round a rather slippery Rockingham yesterday. Race mode is, in summary, some sort of witchcraft - it makes even an average driver like me feel like a hero. Car was a little twitchy for the first couple of laps; had to catch a couple of low speed power slides but once it worked the grip levels out the car was just EPIC. Unbelievably good. Felt totally at ease through the banked turn 1 at 90 MPH, the ginetta GT4 race car driven by a pro wasn't going through much faster. The way it meters out the power on a damp track as the car straightens up is just unreal. Can't wait to do a full trackday in a few weeks!

• Like 2

Very impressive isn't it? Spookily good! Hopefully the article helped you get the most out of it.

:thumbup:

• Like 1

Yes, really glad I'd read the article Jonny - without knowing that the system needs to give you an oversteer moment or two to work out the grip levels, I don't think I would have persisted with it after that initial moment; would've dropped it back to sport moment with a 'WTF' kind of thought. Instead I was forewarned about how it works and was happy to let it do it's thing. Might be more scary on a dry day if the first oversteer moment doesn't arrive until 100 MPH though!

• Like 2

Very informative write up - Thanks.

I wish I could have made it to that day.

Beware though - it is possible to spin in tour mode. I did it in some standing water. The car kind of went sideways on a small kink. I could feel it trying to straighten things up but then it gave up completely and span. Thankfully fairly slow speed and didn't hit anything though.

Edited by Bullphi

That's interesting and important info to share, thanks. I have updated the article accordingly.

I literally tried my damnedest but couldn't get it anywhere near a spin in either the damp or the dry. You did really well!

Glad there was no harm done obviously.

• 3 weeks later...

Great write up and i tested all three modes on mine yesterday at blyton park. Race mode really is fantastic and so much more progressive and natural than touring or sport mode which seem a little more all or nothing. I do fear that race mode may make it too easy to go fast and make me feel that im a better driver than I really am.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Pits for the writeup ... just found it ... really helped answer my remaining questions that my dealer couldnt fully answer ...

If I read it correctly, there is no software adjustment needed for Race mode when I change Tires from e.g. the Corsa to the Trofeo, as it will adjust itself to the available tracktion, correct? My dealership told me I had to come in and they would adjust the software?!?

Edited by NW76

We were told that the system has no problem adjusting to different tyres. The race pack cars were developed around the Pirelli P-Zero Trofeo, which are still my favourite tyres for the car, so for best results (on track) stick with them!

• 2 months later...

Interesting review, so thanks for sharing  

Yet to pick up my Exige,  so can only go on similar track style cars owned to date which include caterhams, Ariel Atom, 2-11 and current XBow.

Now all these cars bar the 2-11 had no traction control (although never used it).   So rightly or wrongly you get to drive these cars by the seat of your pants and by choice exclude wet roads wherever possible !

Putting aside ultimate cornering G and speeds, what I have experienced to  date is when you reach grip levels on exit of an apex :- 

- caterhams are by far the easiest cars to drive at 10/10.  You get used to them sliding about and having your butt above the rear axle it become almost 2nd nature to opposite lock oversteer etc.  Not the fastest way round the corner  

- the Atom and XBOW at the limits are a handful but still catchable  

- the 2-11 was like a knife edge and one of the hardest cars to catch, albeit one of the fastest round a corner  

I'll be intrigued to find how the Exige compares with all systems switched off.  What I've found to date is in comparison to  the ease to over egging entry speed to induce under steer , overall corner speed to induce a slide, it's pretty hard on a dry road to induce break of traction through acceleration unless a slow speed corner or you have the lateral g's at 100%  

Point being , re race mode, from what I have read and seen in the video it's only the exit speed from an Apex that it can help you with, leaving entry speed and ultimate corner speed to the driver, which they can more likely screw up rather than exit speed ?

i can see touring mode opening up options if you want to drive in the wet .... I would love it if I got caught in rain.  Sports mode I can see being sensible for spirited road use.   I'm intrigued to try race mode at a track day, to see how it compares to driving with all systems off.  Looking forward to it !

BTW just my 2 pence worth which is based on personal experience / opinion . Would love to hear others opinions who have more track experience than my limited track time.  

Dave 

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

• 6 years later...

So does race mode constantly learn in that once it detect slip and sets it self what happens if later you hit a damper part of the track? I would assume it would slip again and adjust as the conditions get worse? 

While on the other hand if you slip with cold tires and it sets itself.... after the tires warm up you'd still be held back as you wouldn't induce another slip with sticker tires?

Anyone know if ESP OFF on the aim dash means traction control is fully off?

Tapping race till it's red makes the yellow traction on the right go on but if u hold it for a second it says esp off on the dash?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

As of Friday I became the proud owner of an Exige 350 sport, its been a dream of mine for years to own a V6 Exige and I think the top of my head is about to drop off if I smile any broader. I traded in my beloved 111R, was expecting it to be quicker but wow its an absolute beast and bonkers fast, at least to me not having owned anything quicker than a 111R previously. Will take some pictures soon and post :)

I would appreciate some advise from you though with regard to what triggers the DPM to start taking action and what it feels like when it does. I took it for a drive yesterday and whilst going around a left hand bend the car suddenly felt possessed. The brakes and the throttle felt like they were coming on and off until I was out of the corner, was not particularly subtle either. I did not think I was going fast, certainly within the bounds of grip so I thought, but the road surface was quite bumpy but not slippery. The car was in touring mode.

Is it possible the cars system activated under these conditions and is what I described what the DPM feels like when it goes into action.

Your views would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Love 1

Thanks for replying, I'll try comparing sport to touring on the same road and conditions to see if there is a difference. It had not happened previously but not being familiar with the car was not expecting it to take control in the way it did at what I thought was a reasonable pace.

Appreciate you commenting.

There is certainly a big difference between tour, sport & race.   I personally have not driven much in tour/ sport mode but the few times I have (been accidental) I did notice it was holding me back significantly.  But the best way to experience these cars are in everything off mode (as long as you are confident with controlling your right foot and steering), when the rear end pushes it is quite progressive, and naturally wants to return to its normal position so not snappy.  Enjoy the drive!

I think it unlikely that there is an issue with your car (congratulations, by the way).

One thing that Tour mode possesses that the other modes do not, is understeer detection and correction. I can well imagine it was this that was being triggered in the instance you describe. Over ownership of 3 separate V6 Exiges, I have explored the extent of Tour mode once, and having experienced its super-aggressive response in both the understeer detection/control and the lazy throttle response (that is also unique to this mode), it was enough for me never to use it again. Personally I found it very disconcerting.

Hi Arun_D

Thank you, that does put my mind at rest. When I picked it up I drove it home in Sport mode and never had the issue. Was only when running in touring mode that it happened. You've made me feel a lot happier and plan to take it down the same road this evening in sport mode and see what happens.

Thanks

• Like 1