free hit
counters
Evora Headlights / Headlamps - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora Headlights / Headlamps

• Gold FFM

Evora Headlights / Headlamps

I'm trying to get a handle on the extent of the problems with the Evora Headlights / Headlamps with a view to seeing if we can get the Factory / OEM suppliers to provide additional support as there seems to be issues causing early failures including:

Peeling of protective layers
LED bulb failures
Etc.

As these units are sealed, replacement is hugely expensive at around £1000 / Euro 1300 and $1500 per unit. As sealed, we would expect these to have a reasonable life span of say 10 years.

If you own, or have owned, an Evora, and you have had a problem with the headlights / headlamps please could you either update this topic, or PM me with the details including:

MY of Evora and when bought
Brief description of issue
Resolution and cost
Any factory / dealer / warranty support

I'll keep this topic updated with progress and information as we go.

Thanks in advance
Andy.

:thumbup:

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Thanks Dave, it's on my list and will keep you posted.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

2010 NA with peeling laquer syndrome. No response from Castle Lotus or Hexagon. Silverstone say £280 plus VAT but need car for a week.

That's because they don't do it. They sub the work out so it takes a day to remove them, take them to the repair shop leave them collect them and refit.

TBH the peeling laquer really isn't a big deal and easily fixed - and looking at the Evora's at Silverstone a while back an awful lot have the problem.

Failing LED's is another matter as that is not a simple fix

• Gold FFM

Thanks for this Michael. What was the problem with them?

• Gold FFM

Thanks for that James. Added to the list.

• 2 weeks later...

MY11 peeling laquer on both units - 1unit replaced 1 unit re-laqured by Lotus under warranty

- initally the replacement was of the new type without 'lotus' written on the indicator strip inside the unit - had a hell of a wait to source a new 'old' stock, as I would not accept mis-matched lamps.

Edited by type122

April 2010 (16000 miles allways garaged) purchased with peeling headlamps privately april 2014 out of warranty... contacted Lotus directly and was informed they couldn't do anything so ended up paying a bodyshop to sort them out. Also had a power ballast fail on mine so replaced that myself (consumable item I suppose).

• Gold FFM

Dec 2010, drivers side very small amount hardly noticeable as its on the edge. The rest is armourfended, so waiting to see if it will spread underneath.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

• Gold FFM

Thanks Colin. Will add to the list.

• 1 month later...

2010 NA.  Headlights replaced under warranty 2012 for peeling.  Both are now fine and the car lives outside and does 20k miles pa

When I wash the car at least every other week I apply a dodo juice hard wax to the headlamps.  Not sure if it makes a difference.

Edited by blueg33

• 1 month later...
  • Gold FFM

My hope of avoiding posting in this thread has now proven to be in vain. During the course of the past week or so, what started out as a tiny area of 'discolouration' in the black area at the top of the driver's side light unit has turned into obvious lacquer delamination, having grown to involve over 50% of that 'zone' and flaking off like oversized dandruff. So far, the other light looks OK but who knows?

• Gold FFM

Thanks for continuing to update this post with your issues/problems, dates and resolutions. I'm still planning on seeing if this can be used to create a report to Lotus to spirit them into action against their supplier. Also, to ensure all owners are treated fairly and not just fobbed off etc.

On my old NA at 2.5 years old and only 18k miles from memory.

Peeling Lacquer

NOV 2010 model fixed under warranty by Lotus through B & C. Not replaced as supplier and Lotus were not in agreement at the time and there was a supply issue. Two emails to customer services and they agreed to pay the cost for a local body shop to re lacquer them. Didn't have any problems after this. Took two days to do.

Misting

They always misted up in the winter. I was told they all do that and it's normal as they are "vented" headlights. I've seen AMV8's and Ferrari's with the same issue so just accepted it as a quirky car issue!

LED's

Never had a problem with them.

Good thread Andy, hope you all rightly get some form of support from Lotus and they give their supplier a kick up the backside for this ridiculous situation of shoddy manufacturing not being sorted by a recall.

image.jpeg

• Gold FFM

My warranty from MMC is only for "sudden mechanical failure" so this isn't covered in any shape of form. Looks like a visit to Craig Moncrieff's place is on the cards after the New Year for a buff and re-lacquer to get rid of the current moth-eaten appearance.