free hit
counters
Here we go again....baby seats in Evora - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Here we go again....baby seats in Evora

On 4 April 2016 at 09:55, LazyDonkey said:

I bought a Recaro Young Sport and fitted it a few weeks ago.  As others hvae said, its the recommended seat....

Recaro seem to have updated the 'Young Sport' with the 'Young Sport HERO':

http://en.recaro-cs.com/child-seat/recaro-young-sport-hero

RECARO_Produkthighlights_Young-sport-her

Does anybody know how the new chair compares in size to the original version? Is it still the recommended chair for the back of an (original) Evora? Bibs, would you be able to confirm with 'the powers that be', please?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically a Maclaren doesn't fit in a McLaren.

Just to update this thread as it seems to be a question that comes up again and again - and i've done sh*t loads of research !      Sorry if this is the wrong thread - if it is point me in the directi

I’ll take one with just the seat fitted, but this is with Isabel in place!

Posted Images

Sorry I should have been clear.... Mine is a young sport hero.  I love it and so does my "robust" 24lb 11 month boy. 

Be aware that when it's fitted the pax seat doesn't go all the way back. Pic below shows the drivers seat as far back as it will go and the pax as far back as the young sport will allow.  

20160425_195438_zpsoz3tqd3e.jpg

As you can see the chair is longer than the rest squab 

20160425_195521_zpsz6l9phcc.jpg

20160425_195521_zpsz6l9phcc.jpg

With a pax the seat needs to be all the way forward, without you can recline the pax seat and give yourself this... 

20160425_195608_zpsh0rq8lmf.jpg

Looks smart in the car tho 

20160425_195544_zpscjbvxqtc.jpg

As I said I love it and my boy actually giggles away in the car. He seems to be able to easily see through the gap between the seats and he's really close to both of us.   My wife is 5'2 so it's easy for us to go out the three of us.  

Edited by LazyDonkey
19 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

@LazyDonkey assume you have removed the base and back rear seat cushions? Makes a massive difference. 

It's there as an option but tbh it's usual just me and him so I don't think I'll bother.  Plus the wife is a midget and is quite comfy in the front :D

• Like 1

which seat gives the best leg room....to both front and rear.....???

Im guessing the baby seat in the back doesn't want to overhang the actual seat.....

cheers

G

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

I want a seat that covers all stages......

so far I see the britax evolva and the recaro young sport hero.....

I like the recaro but it takes up a lot of front/back space

If your partner is under 5foot 5 the recaro should be fine. I swapped mine out for the monza as soon as I could to release approximately 5 inches leg room. I had s young sport (not hero) and it was bearable  for my wife who is 5foot 7. Barely bare able though. Monza makes it a breeze.

Hey Stu

Does the Monza sit within the seat base or extend slightly over? I went for the Evolva when I got the lotus last year and it's been fine but now the little dude is getting bigger (just turned 2) I'm wondering if I can find a seat that finishes within the seat swell. My wife is 5foot 7 so the extra bit of space that it sounds like the Monza gives would be invaluable. 

Just to add I can't take out the seat cushions as my eldest sits in the seat behind me so thought fair he had a bit of comfort! 

Cheers 

Dan

2 hours ago, theelanman said:

I want a seat that covers all stages......

so far I see the britax evolva and the recaro young sport hero.....

I like the recaro but it takes up a lot of front/back space

I've not tried the evolva but the specs say the base is about the same length (ie front to back) as the recaro so may not give you much more.   Probably worth a try tho. 

22 minutes ago, DanChantler said:

Hey Stu

Does the Monza sit within the seat base or extend slightly over? I went for the Evolva when I got the lotus last year and it's been fine but now the little dude is getting bigger (just turned 2) I'm wondering if I can find a seat that finishes within the seat swell. My wife is 5foot 7 so the extra bit of space that it sounds like the Monza gives would be invaluable. 

Just to add I can't take out the seat cushions as my eldest sits in the seat behind me so thought fair he had a bit of comfort! 

Cheers 

Dan

It's a Milano seat. Apologies, not a monza. 

Hmmm. Ok. I'd recommend going to a store like halfords to test fit. I have all rear seat cushions removed so any pics won't help you. Pretty sure it will allign or sit behind the front of the base cushion. It made my wife love being in the car! So much more leg room. Here are my pics for what they are worth.

F6A4532D-88EC-459F-B96B-7F69460C6094_zps

AA093E9D-227E-44A5-9864-9D5BA530D954_zps

5CFD58BF-C147-4AB6-B678-12A131C88ED8_zps

F0DF7294-D384-4523-B70C-BA1805BB6B0B_zps

I do find with the cushions in the baby seat is pushed more to the centre of the car forcing my daughters leg on to my armrest as its resting place. 

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Stu.  I may well pop down to Halfords and try one out.  Where in Essex are you by the way?  I'm Brentwood and i've seen only one more Evora so far.

Cheers

6 hours ago, DanChantler said:

Cheers Stu.  I may well pop down to Halfords and try one out.  Where in Essex are you by the way?  I'm Brentwood and i've seen only one more Evora so far.

Cheers

I'm in Chelmsford so not far at all. Happy to meet up and help where I can chap.

Also, I'll be at the 'super cars of Essex' meet mext Wednesday (18th may) if you are free. It starts at 18:00 and is at headley spice. 

Headley Spice, Headley Common, Great Warley, Brentwood, CM13 3HS.

Has anybody tried one of these John Lewis seats in the back of an Evora?

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-group-1-2-3-car-seat-black/p1455105

233196307?$prod_main$

Compared to a Recaro Young Sport Hero, aside from the price (£69 vs £175ish), the base seems to be considerably shorter. I didn't have a tape measure with me but i would guestimate that the JL chair is at least 10-15cm 'shallower' than the Recaro seat, hence 10-15cm more legroom.

I assume no one has discovered a rear facing baby seat which fits in the back of an Evora 400? How easy is it to disable the passenger airbag in the 400? And could I fit a slim 5'9" woman in the back seat?! 

LOL......

5'9" in the back........

it'll be a squeeze to say the least......

I don't think you'd get a rear facing seat in the back at all......just the size front to back wouldn't fit behind either seat......

the air bag switch is on the side of the dash so very easy to turn off........

17 minutes ago, theelanman said:

LOL......

5'9" in the back........

it'll be a squeeze to say the least......

Yeah I suspected as much. I'll take the wife along to a showroom and try! I'm sure she can manage...... Crawling out of the back of a 400 is still cooler than stepping out of a qashqai! 

If she simply won't fit then a 400 may be off the cards! 

Edited by Matt123

the rear face seat gets ditched after 6 months.......by which time the little one will be in the back in a normal seat and the wife can sit up front.......

I suggest either waiting...until the little one is six months old..........or timing it so the new arrival arrives about Sept/Oct when you can use the excuse of the weather for not going out in the Evora but it'll all be fine again when spring arrives about March/Apr

its a very short period.......I wouldn't worry too much

FWIW, I've managed to use our rear facing seat in the back of an Evora. Although the isofix base technically fits, the front seat can't be fully set rearwards. Therefore, without the base, the car seat still fits (with the seatbelt). However, it's not ideal and is only really suitable for short journeys (due to lack of view out of the window etc). 

My daughter is now nearly 9kgs so the seat will soon be replaced, probably by the Recaro above. I suspect that the JL won't pass inspection. 

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 19:59, Bravo73 said:

Has anybody tried one of these John Lewis seats in the back of an Evora?

http://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-group-1-2-3-car-seat-black/p1455105

233196307?$prod_main$

Compared to a Recaro Young Sport Hero, aside from the price (£69 vs £175ish), the base seems to be considerably shorter. I didn't have a tape measure with me but i would guestimate that the JL chair is at least 10-15cm 'shallower' than the Recaro seat, hence 10-15cm more legroom.

Jonny

did you get to try this???

does it work???

cheers

G

and anyone tried this one?

Recaro Young Expert Plus

3 hours ago, theelanman said:

Nope, not yet. I'm tempted to buy both this seat and the Recaro from John Lewis home delivery then compare them. 

However, this JL seat is definitely at the budget end of the market. I'm sure that it will be fine safety-wise but I think that it will really struggle comfort-wise. Although it should give more room in the back, I suspect that it will be overruled by Upper Management. :blush: 

• 1 month later...
On 25 May 2016 at 09:55, theelanman said:

does it work???

Here is the John Lewis seat in the back of an Evora:

13D2F841-C694-4D07-9B07-0EDBF827A887_zps

As you can see, there is quite a bit more legroom than either of the Recaro Young Sport seats. (Bear in mind that the seat cushions are also still in. There is further legroom to be gained by taking the cushions out). However, that extra legroom comes at a price. (Or, should I say, a lack of price!) You can really see why the JL seat is only £70 (compared to £175 for the Recaro Hero seat). The cushions are much thinner, the coverings are much cheaper, the straps are much narrower etc. I figured that it would only really be useful for short journeys. So that seat went back to JL.

I ended up with one of these:

C38EC4D5-071B-4082-B4E5-8D9A1C7E9ABF_zps

This is the original Recaro Young Sport seat, not the newer (and slightly larger) Hero. If you're also after one, they are available for a limited period from this online retailer (who commissioned Recaro to make another batch of them): http://www.uberkids.co.uk/prams-travel-solutions/all-car-seats/recaro-young-sport-child-seat-colour-black £120 vs £175 for the Young Sport Hero. And, yes, I will eventually be removing the seat cushions in order to get a bit more legroom in the back.

As per my pics that's the seat I started with and then moved to the recaro Milano.  My main issue with seats in is that the side bolster in the rear protrudes so far in it meant my daughters leg was always coming down the middle of the car on to the arm rest. With the seats removed it not only freed up more room but also meant her legs fell behind the passenger seat.

• Gold FFM

My god, I'm so glad my kids are all grown up and away. This thread just gives me the heebie jeebies.  I'm such a selfish old bar steward when I bought my Evora the only person i considered was me and whether I could get my big fat belly behind that wheel. Small people in the back would never stand a chance - lol...

I'm surprised some of you lot are not down at Allon White's with your little persons seat asking for it to be retrimmed to match your sports premium alcantara interiors and wheels.  i imagine even small people like the feel of alcantara and it's probably good at holding small person bodily fluids too!  Lovely....   :)  I never knew getting old and curmudgeonly could be so much fun.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!