free hit
counters
S4s MEMCAL/ECU identification help required. - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

S4s MEMCAL/ECU identification help required.

As part of my investigation into boost pressure, rather a possible over-boost, can anyone help identify my ECU and MEMCAL, please? I just want to know if this looks like an S4s ECU and MEMCAL, or whether some PO has been in there, messed with it, or chipped or modified it in some way. If it looks OK, then I'll put it all back.

2015-09-25%2016.49.45_zpsv0h9nc3a.jpg

2015-09-25%2016.54.33_zpsiss2mpxs.jpg

2015-09-25%2016.56.51_zpscgdbbtjm.jpg

2015-09-25%2016.57.03_zpscyj8l17p.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting.  I haven't seen one glopped over like that...  But I've only dealt with '89, '89 SE, and '91 X180-R.  Is that epoxy or silicone?

What overboost issue are you having?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

The boost gauge is showing it's off the scale, way over 1 bar, maybe 1.3, and this is a simple check. I know the boost gauges aren't that accurate, but I need to know it's not over-boosting, as I don't want to be damaging the engine.

If it IS over-boosting, then I see this as the first step. If it has been messed around with, then it needs attention. If it looks OK, next is an Espritmon log.

Margate Exotics.

Looks stock to me, no one has been near that Memcal with some side cutters and or soldering Iron thank god! Although guessing that's an EPROM so a small chance someone has re programmed it. Can you feel an indent of a circle under that sticker?

Most I have seen have had that 'gloop' over the PCB but not seen any over the chip before.

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

I was hoping the MEMCAL simply had 'S4s' written on it. I should be so lucky, eh?

Chris, there's no indent whatsoever under the sticker that I can detect, indeed, the sticker is well stuck on. The gloop appears to be a kind of silicone, not expoxy. Note that the sticker says it's a remanufactured GM unit, too.

Still, if it all looks OK, then I shall refit it, and proceed onwards.

Margate Exotics.

Definitely don't remove the sticker!  That will erase the EPROM!

I'm sure the S4s changed things a bit, my 89SE original chip looked like this

Ignore the turtle stack of sockets, I modified my memcal to prevent the chips pins from breaking

IMG_0569.JPG

My memcal had a light coating of epoxy, but just over the ceramic package

P2031785.JPG

P2031787.JPG

I think yours looks fine (I'm not an expert on the various memcal chip programs and codes though), but the ECU has probably been replaced, since you said it was a re-manufactured unit.

If your boost issue is just the gauge on the dash going high... ?

Has the engine cut out at full boost, or bucked or backfired?  Has the boost been reduced to ~.65bar for a few minutes after full boost?

FYI my boost gauge pegs all the time, since I live at high altitude (5300+ft), but the ECU runs to a absolute manifold pressure, so my MAP can never get higher than that limit, just like yours.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Interesting, Travis.

No, I haven't experienced the engine cutting out at full boost, it has never cut out. Neither has it bucked, or backfired (except sometimes on the overrun but it has no cat, and a straight-through exhaust). And in all honesty, I cannot confirm whether boost has been reduced for a few minutes, I simply don't know.

Not long after I bought the car, I experienced what I perceived was a loss in performance after some hard accelerations, and negotiating a roundabout, before it appeared to lift up its skirts, and go again. That's when I checked the boost gauge (actually, that and the fuel gauge are the only ones I can see directly), and noticed it going over the 1 bar level on full throttle.

Couple that with the discovery of the waste gate solenoid exhaust port being blocked off when I took the engine and box out and I started to become suspicious that someone had been messing around. This was prior to me having the ability to log Freescan or Espritmon, though. I fitted a new turbo from Turbo Technics during the rebuild, and removed the blockage from the waste gate solenoid. The engine itself has used no oil whatsoever since I bought it, it starts and runs as I imagine it should, and it doesn't overheat, or lose coolant.

Subsequent Freescan logs showed the MAP would go to 2.23 at 100% TPS setting, I now know this is normal for the S4s. Thing is, if the maximum boost is set at precisely that, and the MAP sensor is maxxed out, then the ECU presumably has no way of 'knowing' whether the engine is being over-boosted, maybe by an aftermarket chip, hence me stripping the ECU to see if it had been chipped, or modded. Maybe Lotus should have fitted a MAP sensor with more capacity, instead of the ECU being in fingers crossed mode.

One other significant thing - I've never driven a high performance petrol turbo car before, I've been used to the much bigger, and powerful 5.8 litre Chevy engine in my Cobra, and so the driving experience in the Esprit is a new one to me. It is entirely possible that the turbo was off boost when I experienced the loss of power I mentioned earlier, and if so it might just be down to me needing to 'get it all together' when driving it.

The car certainly accelerates very well, it doesn't feel down on power to me, however I haven't had it dyno'd. At full throttle I can feel it is sometimes on the point of wheelspin in the dry, even with the Michelin Pilot 285 section rear tyres it has, but I'm a pedantic bastard (ask Sparky), I want to look after my car, and I need to know that I am not damaging my engine.

Like I said, if it all looks fine, then I'll put it all back together, it's Espritmon time, and I'll post up the logs in due course.

Margate Exotics.

I found one Freescan log that I did last year. Very brief, because I had trouble with the laptop, but IF the readings are correct, I'm wondering if it shows it's way too lean on full boost?

If this file is, rubbish, then I'm going to do another, this time with Espritmon.

s4s3.csv

Margate Exotics.

Right, I think I've sorted it now.

If and when I finally manage to get an Espritmon log, what programme do I need to look at the files? They open in Excel at the moment.

Derek - the EPROM number looks to be 1496.

Edited by ian29gte

Margate Exotics.

So the EPROM is at least designated correctly, which is good news.:)

As for the log files, they opened up in Excel, but it's a jumble of figures which I cannot read, so interpreting them to see what's amiss would be much appreciated. I've attached two of the files I took today for analysis.

During the logs, I paid more attention to the problem, and I noticed that the car accelerates fine in first, and second, then is definitely flat when accelerating in third, like it's run out of steam, and being starved of fuel. I noticed this on other acceleration runs in fourth, too. It doesn't feel flat every time though sometimes it feels OK. At all other times it appears to be fine. There's no backfiring, or misfiring that I can detect, which kind of makes me think it isn't ignition related, but of course I stand corrected.

esprit_9_30_13_44_18.log

esprit_9_30_14_9_17.log

Edited by ian29gte

Margate Exotics.

This is why I prefer Freescan, since I have an Excel template to graph the data.  Espritmon data is not easily graphable, and Erik even gave me the formulas to use, it looks like a real pia to graph Espritmon data...

Espritmon does give better MAP readings, but once you know what the wrong values mean in freescan, it's not an issue...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Most people just use Excel to view the datalog. I expect you probably could use something like MegaLogViewer or possibly an older version of SCT's LiveLink.

I used to use MegaLogViewer, very handy :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I managed to convert the Espritmon data into a .csv file, but as there are no headings, I still have no idea what the data means!

I think I shall have no option but to do it all again using Freescan next time.

Edited by ian29gte

Margate Exotics.

I see.

Any suggestions? Or should I wrap it up and go for Freescan?

Actually, what use IS Espritmon? And, apart from more accurate MAP readings, how is it any better than Freescan if you can't actually read what it's logging? I can only imagine there are parts of the software that I haven't discovered, but I'm swiftly losing patience with it.   :wallbash:

Margate Exotics.