free hit
counters
S4s MEMCAL/ECU identification help required. - Page 2 - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

S4s MEMCAL/ECU identification help required.

Espritmon reads the MAP sensor and Baro values correctly, freescan does not.

Espritmon can play the data back in real time, or sped up.  Espritmon can talk with the ABS computer, and activate the ABS solenoids.  Espritmon can test the charcoal canister purge...  Things like that.

I prefer freescan data if people are emailing me log data to look at for a diagnosis though.  I have not tried the software that Bibs and sailorbob mention, but that looks good.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm REALLY, REALLY pissed off.

Took the afternoon off work specifically to run a Freescan log. As usual, I have to drive for 15 poxy minutes to get out of town to where I can safely do the acceleration runs I need. Could I get Freescan to connect? No f*&^king way.

Ironically, effing Espritmon connects perfectly. I tried everything, and still it ain't happening.

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

:wallbash:

Meanwhile, back home, I've tried both ALDL connectors, ignition on, off, starting the car, everything all bar standing on one leg with a finger in my right ear bollock-naked. I'm thinking of sacrificing a virgin, but this being Thanet, finding one's going to be a pretty tough call.

Edited by ian29gte

Margate Exotics.

FFS!

And now I cannot get Espritmon to connect either!

Both the connectors on my car usually work perfectly, but not today. I'll see if I can get TunerPro to connect at the weekend, but I've had enough of banging my head against a brick wall today.

Just wondering, is there is anyone here who can run the Espritmon file through a programme for me to save me a lot more grief?

And right now I'm heading for a damn good :wine:

Margate Exotics.

Much obliged, Derek.

Can I be cheeky and ask if you could convert the attached one, too? It's taken me a while to sort through, but I reckon it might be more relevant, with the full acceleration runs required.

esprit_9_30_14_9_17.log

Margate Exotics.

Can't the guy that made Espritmon provide the column heading list?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

You're a star, Derek!

I've had an initial look too, and I spotted that the TPS never went to 100% That I will have to check if and when I can get the laptop to connect up again. I'll have another go tomorrow.

Given that I feel the car has a lack of performance, it seems to be holding back from  full power after a hard acceleration, I had a look to see if there were any lean conditions when the throttle was fully open. I noticed there are several occasions when the TPS, MAP and secondary injector values are up high, but in amongst them the HEGO is very low at times. I'm wondering if this could be a fuelling issue, maybe the fuel pump is not quite on the money.

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Gotta get that tps showing up to 100% on freescan - or it just won't get full boost or ummmph.

if it's not set right - you will get hesitation, lack performance and strange running

Only here once

Sounds like mine as well. Two thoughts though. Could the CC not be functioning correctly - thinking a quick 1st and almost as speedy 2nd might not force the CC into hotter climates, but a prolonged 3rd and 4th would certainly be more noticeably lacking? Rusty stuff from petrol tanks sometimes clog things up and in my case seems to be my current nemesis though I have not yet checked with Freescan or Espritmon's data to see what they have to say. Also, would not the vacuum hose to the Turbo cause over-boost if it was leaking?

Edited by MikieP

Thanks again, Derek. I owe you a pint!

Barry - This is an Espritmon log, rather than Freescan. Maximum MAP showed as 2.06, with a baro reading of 0.99, that's full boost for an S4s. The drop in performance issues I was having were manifesting themselves already. Previous Freescan logs demonstrated 100% throttle, so it's possible I was a bit cautious with the right foot. It also shows that the Freescan MAP reading I took, at 2.33, is indeed optimistic. That makes me happy, because it appears overboosting is not an issue.

Mikie - Both the fuel tanks are brand new aluminium, with a new fuel filter fitted, so it is highly unlikely that the fuel is contaminated. I see from the logs that the chargecooler temps do start heading upwards, to be expected, but without a comparison from another S4s, given the higher boost pressure than other models, it is difficult to make a judgement as to whether the range is acceptable, or not. I am waiting for the Alunox rad pack, which incudes a new chargecooler, but they won't be fitted for a while yet.

I'm tempted to invest in a new fuel pump and pressure regulator as they're not a lot of money, and fairly easy to change. I have no paperwork to say it's previously been changed, so it could well be the original one from 1995. I seem to recall something about a pulse damper, so I'll have a search for that, too.

As for the vacuum hose, I assume you are referring to the waste gate solenoid to MAP sensor hose? If that was spilt, I don't think the MAP reading would show 2.06, and engine performance would probably be all over the show because the ECU wouldn't know what it was supposed to be doing with fuelling.

Edited by ian29gte

Margate Exotics.

You're hitting 2.06 bar in a few places, you need to check your wastegate actuator setting.

The one on the turbo? Surely not! It came from my very best friends and all round good guys at Turbo Technics..........:thumbdown:

It was set at 0.6 bar from new, after I lost the will to live, and gave up arguing with them that it should be set at 0.65 bar. So it's opening a bit early, which may explain the fluttering lower down the scale.

Margate Exotics.

I've been looking at the Freescan log I took earlier in the year, and I'm becoming more convinced that lack of fuel is a likely candidate for the lacklustre performance. After some head scratching, I have a few questions:-

1. My waste gate duty cycle only reached 71 as a maximum when the TPS was at 100. Looking at another log done from another car, theirs reached 100. Could my ECU be restricting this due to it detecting a lean condition?

2. My IAC values run from 88 to 114 at 100%TPS. Is this too high?

3. What is the effect of low fuel pressure/low fuel rate on the Esprit performance?

4. Is it advisable to replace the pulse damper when fitting a new fuel pump?

Any answers would be appreciated.

Margate Exotics.

1. Because you're hitting 2.06 bar in a few places the ecu will reduce the wastegate dutycycle due to it's adaptive learning.

2. The IAC values aren't unusual.

3. Low fuel pressure will result in lean A/F ratios that generally will show up in the Block Learn Multiplier values.

Thanks Derek. Do you have any views on a possible fuelling issue?

Just on a whim, I changed the ECU for a spare unit to see if it made any difference earlier this afternoon, and went out for a test. It didn't, and the Freescan data didn't look promising. One more box ticked, though.

Margate Exotics.

If you suspect a fuel pressure or flow problem then the simplest check will be a pressure gauge. Although with a conventional gauge it's hard to see what's happening under high rpm / load conditions unless you're on a chassis dyno.

It is tough to see the pressure while driving ;)

I actually had a fueling issue with boost, but the fuel pressure was about 44psi at idle, and I drove with the fuel pressure gauge visible in my mirror, and while the pressure did go up to a little over 50psi, it was not enough... Should rise 1:1 with boost, and not drop due to the injector demand.

My fueling problem was cure with a new fuel pump and removal of the pulsation damper above the fuel pump outlet.  Replaced it with a fuel submersible rated hose and 2 clamps.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album