free hit
counters
Cross gate cable bracket - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PhilW

Cross gate cable bracket

Hi can anyone send me a picture of the mounting of this bracket please.  Is bolted on using one of the clutch slave cylinder mounting bolts.  I think the top one but not sure. I think it may of been mounted incorrectly previously.

IMG_4653.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hey, this is the bracket that I just took off to route the crossgate actuating rod through !   Maybe it is supposed to be there?  I'm confused :(

The crossgate cable on my car goes through the hole cast into the bellhousing.  As far as I know the bracket just means you can easily detatch the cable mechanism from the engine/gearbox without having to undo it from the gearbox and feed it back through the hole.  When lifting the engine/gearbox it's much easier with the bracket I think.  

You will spend many fun hours adjusting the mechanism and shimming this and that.  It's possible to get a really nice gearchange out of these cars.  Also mine improved significantly with use!

1 hour ago, simon a-b said:

The crossgate cable on my car goes through the hole cast into the bellhousing.  As far as I know the bracket just means you can easily detatch the cable mechanism from the engine/gearbox without having to undo it from the gearbox and feed it back through the hole.  When lifting the engine/gearbox it's much easier with the bracket I think.  

You will spend many fun hours adjusting the mechanism and shimming this and that.  It's possible to get a really nice gearchange out of these cars.  Also mine improved significantly with use!

thanks Simon, have since got this going, but have a heap of parts on the way from SJ to help the process to smooth out a little.

My cable was also fitted through the bell housing but it had been slotted by a po, so all I had to do was slack off the nuts and slip it through. Once correctly adjusted I never had an issue with how it was fitted as long as the lock nut was tightened up.  

8 hours ago, johnpwalsh said:

My cable was also fitted through the bell housing but it had been slotted by a po, so all I had to do was slack off the nuts and slip it through. Once correctly adjusted I never had an issue with how it was fitted as long as the lock nut was tightened up.  

slotting the casting is a good idea, with weight saving too!